• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Pilot

After trying both dbr62 and ub52, I have to say maybe all Elacs sound flatter and better with no toe in. Just point them straight down the sides and they sound much more normal and better. Same even with audyssey room correction.
I've found the best (specifically: clearer dialogues in movies) sound is with the axis about 15 degrees offset (so neither zero nor perfect toe-in).
I don't know if I am interpreting the diagrams correctly but maybe it's because there is a slight rise then, in the 16KHz region? I think is shows up on Amir's diagram too, as a small darker red spot?

Benedium

Forum Donor
I've found the best (specifically: clearer dialogues in movies) sound is with the axis about 15 degrees offset (so neither zero nor perfect toe-in).
I don't know if I am interpreting the diagrams correctly but maybe it's because there is a slight rise then, in the 16KHz region? I think is shows up on Amir's diagram too, as a small darker red spot?

It's possible you prefer vocals "enhanced" but then it may not be as flat, nor neutral, nor as elac intended.

With zero toe in, I can turn up the volume and every frequency gets louder more evenly and predictably. Or at least that's what I think it sounds like heheh. Denon's Dyn EQ also seems to work better and more consistently.

Last edited:

vasfi

I have recently purchased the dbr62 as my first passive speakers and paired them with the Aiyima a08 pro. Since I was mostly using my headphones and a portable speaker before, I was ready to be blown away by the sound but when I tried it, it was just underwhelming.

I am a total newbie and can't really judge the sound characteristics as well as most of you but I was hoping to hear some clear and detailed vocals; but the whole sound, especially the mids, sounded almost suppressed and veiled. The only thing I could like was the bass that sounded full and was a huge (and expected) improvement compared to my old setup.

My question is, what could be the weak link in my setup? I'm more interested in if there might be a technical issue (i.e. poor amplification, wiring, placement, bluetooth DAC in the amp etc) or simply if I don't like the sound signature of these speakers.

I have heard the dbr62 being called flat before but my monitor headphones are fairly neutral and I like them. I'm more inclined to put the blame on aiyima at this point.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but the whole sound, especially the mids, sounded almost suppressed and veiled.
Since you aren't the first, I'm beginning to suspect that this is a faulty production or they got substandard crossover parts or something like it.

My experience a year or so ago was that the DBR62 really is detailed and sounded to me almost as good as a pair of ATC SCM19v2. I thought they easily beat the LS/50 in my living room too.

I bought a pair recently as a gift to a 15 year old, paired with a MiniDSP 2x4HD (simple lowpass/highpass for subwoofer integration, unmeasured), Aiyima 07 amp, and two cheap sourround set subwoofers. I haven't heard any complaints so far, but didn't have a chance to check them myself.

Bought them at hidden-audio.de. Did they get a bad batch?:oops:

vasfi

@TheBatsEar After reading your comment, I went over the last few pages and saw some other people have had similar experiences and I am surprised to see that.
Bought them at hidden-audio.de. Did they get a bad batch?:oops:

I too bought them from there. I am now considering to return them but definitely want to validate they are the bad ones. So I might either order a new pair of speakers or an amplifier as a reference to test them out before returning.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@TheBatsEar After reading your comment, I went over the last few pages and saw some other people have had similar experiences and I am surprised to see that.

I too bought them from there. I am now considering to return them but definitely want to validate they are the bad ones. So I might either order a new pair of speakers or an amplifier as a reference to test them out before returning.
differential diagnosis is the way to go if you can swing it. swap out amp, speakers, room, anything you can easily do, and you may quickly determine the problem

Pilot

hidden-audio.de for me, too, this January. They sound very detailed to me, especially with vocals. Paired with an old Yamaha RX-V596.

Vasfi, I can understand the "veil" you and others are alluding to though. It's "a different sound" than I was used to (and expected). Still, everything is there - it's not like some instruments or nuances are heard with difficulty. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I suspect people who have experience with very high-end speakers might recognize the DBR62's as accurate - whereas the rest of us have an expectation (formed by lower-end speakers, which maybe emphasize certain frequencies to appeal more?).

I come from headphones, too (AKG701 with nwavguy's dac and amp). The comparison with headphones may be "invalid" though since their intimacy and lack of distance from the source is - arguably - "unnatural" or inaccurate to begin with?

Also, regarding the possibility of manufacturing defects: They wouldn't manifest themselves exactly the same in either speaker of a pair, would they? Mine sound identical.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
I suspect people who have experience with very high-end speakers might recognize the DBR62's as accurate - whereas the rest of us have an expectation (formed by lower-end speakers, which maybe emphasize certain frequencies to appeal more?).
not even necessarily lower-end speakers. Just speakers that have a "sound" that a listener has grown accustomed to. There's lots of expensive speakers that are built to have "sizzle" and "sparkle"

Triliza

Forum Donor
Many people haven't exactly fall in love with DBR62, from back when they came out. Maybe because of very high expectations (this are <600 euro speakers, some have got them for 280), not optimal placement (they need to be at ear level) and from comparing them with whatever we had before. I bought mine for 380 euro from hidden-audio, I am very pleased with them although for the moment they are still not positioned properly on stands. The mids suffer a little bit in my case too with some recordings, I am hopeful that will go away with proper placement. What I found lacking initially was the bass, because my previous speakers had way more (but boomy and not well controlled), but now I am used to them and find it more enjoyable this way.

The right way for evaluation for all of us would be to get a UMIK+REW and post our findings (but that cost money and time) to understand what is going on with each case.

Valinis

Spin data enclosed.
Hi, thank you very much for all this information you are giving us, I would like to get these speakers but my amp is marantz pm350, 40 watts into 8 ohms do you think it can drive them? and if not, what would you suggest?

Triliza

Forum Donor
Hi, thank you very much for all this information you are giving us, I would like to get these speakers but my amp is marantz pm350, 40 watts into 8 ohms do you think it can drive them? and if not, what would you suggest?
Hi and welcome.

If I were you I'd keep the marantz and try it first. It's a bit old, so probably would benefit from a service, cleaning it and changing any caps that need replacement. Personally I like the look, it has tone controls and a loudness button. If you play loud and/or demanding music (classical or such) it may not be able to satisfy you before clipping.

In that case, you have some choices available. Do you prefer an integrated amp, would an AVR interest you, do you intend to use subs, are class D amps ok with you, what is your budget?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Welcome. There are SPL calculators online that can help you figure out how loud your 40w amp can drive these speakers like this one: http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

My guess is unless you have a large room or like to listen very loud it’s probably enough. That said more is usually better to give you some headroom at louder levels

Valinis

Thanks for your replies, the amp has been serviced and upgraded, bigger and better quality capacitors. I want to keep this amp and just match it with a good pair of speakers. the listening distance is 2.4 meters, the music selection is usually folk rock, now I'm listening with a pair of wharfedale diamond 220 and I'm looking for an upgrade.

Valinis

Thanks for your replies, the amp has been serviced and upgraded, bigger and better quality capacitors. I want to keep this amp and just match it with a good pair of speakers. the listening distance is 2.4 meters, the music selection is usually folk rock, now I'm listening with a pair of wharfedale diamond 220 and I'm looking for an upgrade.
my budget I forgot to write I don't want exceeds 1,000 euros

Triliza

Forum Donor
If you have seen the review, diamond 220 are decent speakers (with grills off, a few pages back some measurements indicate that may be also the case for DBR62). The Elacs will be an improvement for sure, and if you like them go for them (I liked them instantly when I saw this review, that's why I bought them and I strongly recommend them), but if you are expecting a substantial improvement, you may want to explore other options.

Don't take my word for it, but have a look at Wharfedale Linton 85th or Kef R3 before you decide. That's assuming you keep the amp and allocate the money to speakers.

Valinis

If you have seen the review, diamond 220 are decent speakers (with grills off, a few pages back some measurements indicate that may be also the case for DBR62). The Elacs will be an improvement for sure, and if you like them go for them (I liked them instantly when I saw this review, that's why I bought them and I strongly recommend them), but if you are expecting a substantial improvement, you may want to explore other options.

Don't take my word for it, but have a look at Wharfedale Linton 85th or Kef R3 before you decide. That's assuming you keep the amp and allocate the money to speakers.
With such an evaluation for the wharfedale diamond 220, I think the best option for a bigger soundstage and better claw function is to marry them with a good subwoofer and I was thinking about the wharfedale wh-d8, you find it a good choice, thanks in advance.

Triliza

Forum Donor
With such an evaluation for the wharfedale diamond 220, I think the best option for a bigger soundstage and better claw function is to marry them with a good subwoofer and I was thinking about the wharfedale wh-d8, you find it a good choice, thanks in advance.
I don't know much about subs (I should consider buying one too, but lack of space and the whole proper integration thing seems a bit complicated to me), take a look at @sweetchaos extensive list about subs.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/subwoofer-comparison.20494/#post-677051

chmiller87

Has anyone had any luck ordering a single Elac DBR62 for use as a center for a fully matching front 3?

chmiller87

I've tried it before but wasn't satisfied with it in my small apartment living room. I've since moved on to elac unifi 2.0 bookshelf and center. I think might be because elac bookshelf speakers are designed to work better off axis or with no toe-in.
How do you like the unifi 2.0 in comparison to the DBR62? Improvement? About the same? Or slight drop off for the bookshelves but worth it to get a better rated matching center?

Any real world issues with the problem frequency noted in the testing results?

Benedium

Forum Donor
How do you like the unifi 2.0 in comparison to the DBR62? Improvement? About the same? Or slight drop off for the bookshelves but worth it to get a better rated matching center?

Any real world issues with the problem frequency noted in the testing results?
Sorry for deleting my post as I remembered I'm just offering subjective opinions. But yes I am happier now with unifi 2.0.

As I said, with unifi, I realised elac bookshelf speakers sound best toed out or zero toe in.

Unifi 3 way concentric improves imaging and details although tonality isn't as accurate as dbr62.

Compared to dbr62, ub52 vocals and mids seem less forward but somehow sound more natural once u get used to it.

In the beginning, the shelving at 1.5khz would bother some but brain burn in sets in and u get used to it and start to enjoy the extra details balanced across the entire spectrum. I got a really good deal so it was kind of a no brainer as the poor man's kef R3 ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom