• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Modifications to Elac Uni-Fi Reference UBR62 Bookshelf Speakers

OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
What do you call that connector?

It is a circular connector with push-pull locking. The manufacturer is Weipu. It is in the WEIPU IP67 - Large SA28 series. There are different pin configurations available - see the section "Solder Spec".

They have a lot of different connectors. You may be able to use something smaller, like the SA20 or SA24, depending on the size of your cables.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Nice, fully active is another level :). I'm converting my 4-way JBL250Ti's, one speaker is ready while I'm waiting for parts for the second (currently bi-amped). I'm considering 2x speakon, but one 8-pin is even cleaner. What do you call that connector?

Dagfinn
There's always the 8 pole speakon: https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/nl8fc

OP
terryforsythe

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
The results are impressive, significantly better than I expected when starting the project. The project was well worth the effort.

Also, I learned a lot which, in and of itself, made the project worthwhile to me. I have designed and built numerous passive speakers, albeit decades ago. I always used stout cabinets with a generous amount of internal bracing at various angles. This served both to reinforce the structure and to breakup internal parallel surfaces. I had never run into cabinet vibration issues to the level I did in this project, nor had I seen their impact on harmonic distortion (back then I did not have a means to accurately measure harmonic distortion). These things I have learned, and addressed in these speakers.

Also, I strongly suspected that eliminating passive crossovers would improve bass response. This project proved, at least to me, that this hypothesis was correct. Indeed, although I use to design passive filters as an occupation, I now am of the opinion that I no longer want them in my speakers.

The most significant issue with the speakers that remains are diffraction issues with the tweeter. Specifically, the diffraction at the tweeter/midrange interface and the diffraction at the midrange surround. The diffraction at the midrange surround has been mitigated a bit by adjusting the crossover frequency and slope. Placing the speakers slightly off-axis and using some DSP I also have mitigated the tweeter/midrange interface diffraction enough so that it is not audible to me.

Top Bottom