• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 85 38.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 88 39.8%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor

the 1590 is a good choice for a little bit more and of course everything under the sun for two channel

ironically it too has single XLR in but dual XLR out so there's something none of us here are understanding... are they thinking of bi-amping?
Drawback if used with unsuitable sensitivity amps with both of them is outputs:
1V for RCA's and 2V fot XLR.
Doesn't make sense for generous traditional preamplifiers that usually can go up to 10 (or more) volts.

pma

Major Contributor
Other than my measurements fun,the only distinction I follow is audible-inaubible with music.

So it only comes down to safety,durability,functionality and looks for me (with that exact order).

(I expect the one I posted not to be far from the integrated)
…. And many readers here might be surprised how high must the distortion be to be audible on music. Again and again examples of SINAD cult.

Sokel

Master Contributor
…. And many readers here might be surprised how high must the distortion be to be audible on music. Again and again examples of SINAD cult.
I have tested myself to save me the trouble.

As much as I can cut through some musical performance with ease,when it comes to distortion I found out (with tests) than it can go surprisingly high without bothering me.

It makes life easier that way.

PeteL

Major Contributor

the 1590 is a good choice for a little bit more and of course everything under the sun for two channel

ironically it too has single XLR in but dual XLR out so there's something none of us here are understanding... are they thinking of bi-amping?
2 subs 2 mains is quite a standard setup, and even if you where going to put just one, let your DSP unit do the summing or feed both channels to the powered sub, most will accept that. At the preamp end it is just simpler to get a mirror of the two stereo channels out than a sub out or mono out or low passed out, that are never at the right crossover point anyway. Plus Amir mentioned a "routing menu" this tells me you can probably switch one or the other outs and allow for 2 zones if you want to do that. bottom line, 2 stereo outs is useful in a multitude of cases, but the problem is that it lacks in term of inputs, not that outs should be sacrified for more ins I think.

Last edited:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
On the other hand the same money gets you this:

View attachment 276801

No comparison really and if the 0.004% THD (not N) is true,good enough for everything.

That one is a good and solid choice. When I was looking for stereo pre amps, this one made to the top 3 of my list but due the lack of HT Bypass, I decided to go with the Parasaound Halo P6 and I have zero regrets. The P6 with analog bass management and full HT Bypass with dual independent subwoofer in/out is hard to pass when looking for a stereo pre amp.

IMG_8223.jpeg

Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Voted not terrible cause it does not make sense to me. Preamp should have plenty of (configurable) inputs. Two or more outputs (switchable, configurable) are welcome, but the main point is input. Plus laut/leise with no imbalance between channels, of course.

EdW

Thanks, did not think of looking in their "DIY amplifier kit" section. so 13 dB or roughly 4. OK I guess but this seem to suggest it clips at 5 volts? Not fully sure what we are looking at I am going to assume that it's the input and this was at unity, but would have been good to see the performance of the volume control.

View attachment 276673
I’d too like to see the performance of the preamp for outputs >4V. I’m assuming that the power supplies internally probably include +/-15V for the headphone amp. So the preamp should be capable beyond 4V?

Also in order to facilitate a head to head comparison with the Topping pre90 A weighted noise levels could be useful although we can probably assume from the SINAD graph above that the Hypex is perhaps 1dB noisier? And from the review from @amirm that the IMD is perhaps 3dB worse?
What opamps are used?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but I believe in the value of measurement and, all else even close to equal, I'll go with the lower distortion product. You'll say it's just my bias but so far lower distortion products I've owned have sounded better to than higher distortion products.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Talking about my configuration, source PC to RME ADI 2 DAC FS to NC400 monoblocks, to add an active sub im forced to use high level input or split XLR out of the RME, because it's RCA output is lower and to match you should turn way up the sub amp.. tried with a passive sub driven by a Crown XLS 1502.
Having a preamp with multiple XLR out with such great specs (except for the aforementioned OCTO) is good imho..
As of the MiniDSP they have not the RME specs level.
I admit that this Hypex preamp is quite pricey though, hope for future crossover add-ons
So the miniDSP SHD Studio or Flex Digital preamps work perfectly for this. Get your main/sub crossover with full DSP integration all in the digital domain (and DIRAC too as an option), and you can use your “better” RME DAC’s for output. Done.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So the miniDSP SHD Studio or Flex Digital preamps work perfectly for this. Get your main/sub crossover with full DSP integration all in the digital domain (and DIRAC too as an option), and you can use your “better” RME DAC’s for output. Done.
?? The RME analog signal would be outputing to what?

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
So, this seems to be a very nice active volume control and headphone amp with potential to add more features that you have to assemble yourself. You have to truly love your D.I.Y. to spend four figures on something like that in today's marketplace, but I'm sure there are some budgets and use cases where it will be just the ticket.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
Same thing they output to now. His monoblocks.
PC -> miniDSP digital box (for preamp and mains/sub(s) crossover, DSP, PEQ, DIRAC...etc.) -> RME DAC -> amps -> speakers.

The miniDSP website has plenty of diagrams if this isn't sufficient.
I was pretty sure the ADI DAC has just one stereo inputs and outputs and the balanced and the unbalanced had the same signal. The Idea of crossovers is to start with 2 and split the signal into four or more, not the other way around...

Sokel

Master Contributor
I was pretty sure the ADI DAC has just one stereo inputs and outputs and the balanced and the unbalanced had the same signal. The Idea of crossovers is to start with 2 and split the signal into four or more, not the other way around...
I'm confused too.
Even if the RME has 4 outputs what's the need for miniDsp?
It can all be done in a nice PC app and go digital straight to RME.

rvsixer

All good and exactly what the setup I described does (except of course the "not the other way around" part).

PC outputs stereo, miniDSP provides the mains/sub crossover taking outputs from a total of two to three or more (two for mains, the rest for sub(s)). RME is used for mains (just like this particular user is doing now), and he now has extra outputs for the properly crossed over subs he desires (and the RME cannot provide).

PeteL

Major Contributor
How does the RME provide outputs for both mains and subs? That exactly is the RME limitation this particular user want to overcome.
It doesn't, that's why the op mentioned that for that purpose the preamp that is the subject of this discussion would be helpful, he is now splitting with a Y Cable. Your solution don't provide more analog outputs that he already have, that's why your point is confusing. And you can't route 4 digital channel to The RME ADI-2, it's a stereo DAC.

Sokel

Master Contributor
How does the RME provide outputs for both mains and subs? That exactly is the RME limitation this particular user want to overcome.
It doesn't,thats why I am confused.
If the xover is done by miniDSP what's the need for RME then?

A setup like the one you describe should have minidsp and RME in unity gain controlling VC only from miniDSP so the subs before RME follow the levels.
Where is the benefit to this?

rvsixer

It doesn't, that's why the op mentioned that for that purpose the preamp that is the subject of this discussion would be helpful, he is now splitting with a Y Cable. Your solution don't provide more analog outputs that he already have, that's why your point is confusing. And you can't route 4 digital channel to The RME ADI-2, it's a stereo DAC.
1) Of course the RME is a stereo only DAC, that's where this particular users issues start, selecting the wrong product for what he wants to accomplish (running a 2.x setup).
2) And of course miniDSP can provide the analog outputs he needs, and is what I first suggested (i.e. a tool that actually accomplishes his goal, which he said did not exist).
3) The user insisted he wanted to use the "better" DAC's that RME has. So I suggested the all digital miniDSP solution, and he is free to add whatever DAC's he wants to use (or use the other suggestion I made, use a analog/digital output miniDSP solution, run the mains off his RME DAC and miniDSP analog out to his subs).

Anyways time to move back on topic, and away from this pretty elementary way to get a 2.x system that includes the RME DAC the user wants to use. This Hypex product will never be what is needed if he is insistent on using his RME DAC (which doesn't even have analog inputs).

Top Bottom