• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 163 49.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 118 36.0%

• Total voters

melomane13

I had one in my cart to purchase. I decided to wait and see what others say about how it sounds versus the measurements. I guess I will purchase in the next batch.
Amplifiers not have "sound"

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
What a shame the sub isn’t better.

There’s a real market for a desktop amp with a proper sub out (high and low pass filters).

I mean desktop set ups usually don’t feed floorstanding speakers, and a disproportionately large number of people with small, monitor-size speakers will use a sub.

There does appear to be hole in the market.

gwing

Forum Donor
I think just the high pass filter would do as almost all subs have their own LP filters.

Personally I would take it without the HP as it isn't so difficult to build an external HP filter and then that can be used with any amp. What holds me back is the unattractiveness of the design and I find myself wondering how the case is constructed and how difficult it might be to replace the front plate with a bit of wood or acrylic, or even just plain black paint. shallow I know but it caused me sufficient hesitation not to rush into an order.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I think just the high pass filter would do as almost all subs have their own LP filters.

Personally I would take it without the HP as it isn't so difficult to build an external HP filter and then that can be used with any amp. What holds me back is the unattractiveness of the design and I find myself wondering how the case is constructed and how difficult it might be to replace the front plate with a bit of wood or acrylic, or even just plain black paint. shallow I know but it caused me sufficient hesitation not to rush into an order.

Whilst I’m sure you can build your own HP filter, or I suspect any other component, most people can’t, and would just prefer it to be there.

Roland68

Major Contributor
If you really want to carry out a meaningful and comparative hearing test and do not want to advantage or disadvantage one group of opinions or one device, then you must exclude or minimize all external physical influences as far as possible. Any kind of favoritism or mutual influence must also be ruled out.
I have experienced several times how developers had to throw away weeks or months of expensive development time due to errors in their test setups during listening tests because they were chasing an effect/phenomenon of their own making.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If you really want to carry out a meaningful and comparative hearing test and do not want to advantage or disadvantage one group of opinions or one device, then you must exclude or minimize all external physical influences as far as possible. Any kind of favoritism or mutual influence must also be ruled out.
I have experienced several times how developers had to throw away weeks or months of expensive development time due to errors in their test setups during listening tests because they were chasing an effect/phenomenon of their own making.

That doesn’t answer the question why in this specific instance.

gwing

Forum Donor
Whilst I’m sure you can build your own HP filter, or I suspect any other component, most people can’t, and would just prefer it to be there.

You overestimate my abilities :) But a high pass filter could be achieved with nothing more than one resistor and one capacitor so anyone able to use a soldering iron at all should have little difficulty, likewise putting one into an amp should be well within the capability of any amp manufacturer.

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amplifiers not have "sound"
I know that you have said it with respect to A70 which has close to flat frequency response.
*** This is just to add some context ***
Amplifiers with flat frequency response in audible bands and low load stability should not have noticeable sound characteristic within its power limits.
However, this is a very common statement here on ASR but might be misleading many times.
Amplifiers which have load dependency may surely influence frequency response, we have measured responses for those. Behavior with low impedance load is another variable here.

howard416

How? You’d have to tap into the PCB or wiring inside in order to do so, not? At least with the sub out you can run it into your own box with an active crossover.

gwing

Forum Donor
How? You’d have to tap into the PCB or wiring inside in order to do so, not? At least with the sub out you can run it into your own box with an active crossover.
A small project box with (unless you have balanced connections) RCA connectors between pre and power amps. Or between line source and amp if you are running an integrated.

Here's a random google search result that has some pictures and even a link to a calculator for selecting your components.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=181310.0

howard416

A small project box with (unless you have balanced connections) RCA connectors between pre and power amps. Or between line source and amp if you are running an integrated.

Here's a random google search result that has some pictures and even a link to a calculator for selecting your components.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=181310.0
You realize there is no pre-out for the main speakers?

howard416

Could you rephrase the question so that I'm sure what you are asking please?
This amp (and others like it, with a sub out) does not have a main pre-out. All the routing of the main signal pass-through is done internally in the chassis, so I don't see any opportunity for someone to readily add an external or otherwise discrete high-pass box, except for 2 ways: 1) do it with passive filtering, which is pretty lame, and 2) solder some wires into the chassis to pull out the signal, and then re-feed it back in after the external active filter. Are there other ways to do it that I'm not seeing?

gwing

Forum Donor
This amp (and others like it, with a sub out) does not have a main pre-out. All the routing of the main signal pass-through is done internally in the chassis, so I don't see any opportunity for someone to readily add an external or otherwise discrete high-pass box, except for 2 ways: 1) do it with passive filtering, which is pretty lame, and 2) solder some wires into the chassis to pull out the signal, and then re-feed it back in after the external active filter. Are there other ways to do it that I'm not seeing?
OK, lets as an example say that you are feeding an analogue line level signal, e.g. from a DAC, into a simple integrated amp that doesn't let you split pre and power amp section inputs. In that case you might connect the DAC to the HiPass filter's RCA inputs and then connect the HiPass filter's RCA outputs to the amplifier's RCA line level inputs.

howard416

Ah, OK, I see what you mean. Yes, that's quite possible, but you do then have to include a volume control in this upstream high-pass box, otherwise the levels for the mains vs the sub will be out of sync.

Or, you use a DAC (or whatever source) with a built-in volume control. Which not all DACs have, so if one is planning to do something like this, they should get a DAC with volume control "just in case".

gwing

Forum Donor
Ah, OK, I see what you mean. Yes, that's quite possible, but you do then have to include a volume control in this upstream high-pass box, otherwise the levels for the mains vs the sub will be out of sync.

Or, you use a DAC (or whatever source) with a built-in volume control. Which not all DACs have, so if one is planning to do something like this, they should get a DAC with volume control "just in case".
Yes indeed, none of these solutions are ideal. Even if you do as per above you have the limitation that the hipass filter will be for a single input, so if you have multiple inputs you will need multiple filters , or some sort of switching arrangement.

For this you would ideally have separate pre-power amps or at least an integrated that allows you to insert a device between pre and power sections. It may be that your integrated amp has an obvious internal connection between these sections which you could break to insert a device but that does mean internal DIY of some description. Using an integrated amp just doesn't give the same accessible flexibility as you have with separate components so you have to make your choices here.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
yeah i would love to see some personal impressions here but it seems that the first batch is sold out and it doesnt look like aiyima has much representation on 3rd party channels ie. shenzen, hifiexpress etc.

but i expect by the time aiyima gear up for the 2nd round the competition will stiffen up and it will be harder to justify a $169 unit when others are less for about the same result

Top Bottom