• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 44 15.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 151 54.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.0%

• Total voters

saberger0357

I'm guessing from looking at the above that while a single A300 is probably at it's best with a 4ohm load, a pair of them, bridged, would also work well with an 8ohm speaker.But you wouldn't want to bridge them for a 4 ohm speaker, correct?

ampguy

I'm guessing from looking at the above that while a single A300 is probably at it's best with a 4ohm load, a pair of them, bridged, would also work well with an 8ohm speaker.But you wouldn't want to bridge them for a 4 ohm speaker, correct?
Most speakers are just lumped into some category like 4ohm or 8ohm nominal and for most, this is fine. Most speakers will be all over the place depending on frequency. The LS-50s are 8 ohm speakers from the manufacturer, but any internet forum warrior is going to warn you abut the sub 4 ohm dip etc. Anyways, back to bridging, the LS-50s like a lot of power. You may be listening at 1W 99% of the time, but as audio is logarithmic, turning it up, in a medium or large room, and with transients, could easily benefit from the A300s bridged. That said, how an amp sounds during clipping is a huge thing. It probably sounds terrible with Class D, but tubes and the JLH 1969 Nobsound Class A 10-15W amp, the clipping is audiophile heaven ;)

saberger0357

Most speakers are just lumped into some category like 4ohm or 8ohm nominal and for most, this is fine. Most speakers will be all over the place depending on frequency. The LS-50s are 8 ohm speakers from the manufacturer, but any internet forum warrior is going to warn you abut the sub 4 ohm dip etc. Anyways, back to bridging, the LS-50s like a lot of power. You may be listening at 1W 99% of the time, but as audio is logarithmic, turning it up, in a medium or large room, and with transients, could easily benefit from the A300s bridged. That said, how an amp sounds during clipping is a huge thing. It probably sounds terrible with Class D, but tubes and the JLH 1969 Nobsound Class A 10-15W amp, the clipping is audiophile heaven ;)
Thanks.

I'm presently running the A300 bridged driving a pair of Allison One's, which are 8 ohm. They like the power, and they sound great with them. But I was thinking of using them with a pair of AR3's, notoriously difficult to drive 4 ohm speakers. I normally use a McIntosh MC2105 with them, and that amp has no issue driving 4 ,or even 2 ohm loads. So I want to experiment with the additional power of bridged A300's, but obviously don't want to strain the amps. I'm in a medium sized room and normally don't get much over 75-80db, so I'm a fairly conservative listener.

longma

Thanks.

I'm presently running the A300 bridged driving a pair of Allison One's, which are 8 ohm. They like the power, and they sound great with them. But I was thinking of using them with a pair of AR3's, notoriously difficult to drive 4 ohm speakers. I normally use a McIntosh MC2105 with them, and that amp has no issue driving 4 ,or even 2 ohm loads. So I want to experiment with the additional power of bridged A300's, but obviously don't want to strain the amps. I'm in a medium sized room and normally don't get much over 75-80db, so I'm a fairly conservative listener.
Let's know what you find when using it with AR3.

saberger0357

Let's know what you find when using it with AR3.
Well they sound great with the AR3. After the few 20 minutes or so they don't seem to be heating up to any excessive level. I'll check them in an hour and see where they're at. The 3's love power, so this could be a good match for them.

ampguy

Well they sound great with the AR3. After the few 20 minutes or so they don't seem to be heating up to any excessive level. I'll check them in an hour and see where they're at. The 3's love power, so this could be a good match for them.
I am running my A300s bridged in a room that goes to about as high as 80 ambient (the amps get as warm as low to mid 90s depending on where measured), I have them stacked, but with 4 1" discs between the 2 amps. The amps are never hot to the touch, just warm ~ low to mid 90s F, but I feel the spacers aren't hurting. This is a room that I don't feel comfortable running the PA5 in, I use that amp in a room that is usually 3-4 deg cooler due to the house/ac/ducting design. I could try the Fosi v3, but there's no sub option, so likely to keep the pair of A300s where they are, as they sound great, and the other amps are fine with their stereo only outputs.

ButteredToast

As an update, I finally received the Fosi V3 ( delivery was delayed and I’m still waiting for the 48v power supply :mad:). I’ve been demo’ing it with the stock psu for the past hour, after having spent the morning listening to the A300. Again, what follows is highly subjective, and specific to my room and Elac Dbr62 speakers, but this is what I’ve noticed so far:

1. The A300‘s sound is, for lack of a better term, “fuzzier” than the V3’s. On the V3, I find it’s easier to identify which speaker a particular sound/instrument, say hi-hats, or bass guitar strumming, is coming from. I’m more impressed by the clarity of the V3 - with a caveat; see point #3…

2. The bass on the A300 is louder (I’m guessing because the A300 has more wattage available at the moment), but it comes across to me as more taut and clean on the V3. On tracks with serious distortion ( like on the song “White Horses” by LOW) I find those distortions to be better described/ more interesting in detail - I’m not sure how to better explain this last part, I’m not a fan of heavy distortion, usually, and on my Loxjie and the A300 I wasn’t as enthralled by the details in this track’s distorted sounds as I have been on the V3.

3. The V3 is much more fatiguing because of the above. The A300 comes across as less in your face even at loud volumes - so much so that I had started to play with the tone controls and ended up adding 2 points of treble and taking away 1 point of bass - so, I agree that in comparison it is a smoother listen and I find I can listen for longer because of it.

Once I get the other power supply, I’ll do another round of listening and see what, if anything, changes.

saberger0357

I am running my A300s bridged in a room that goes to about as high as 80 ambient (the amps get as warm as low to mid 90s depending on where measured), I have them stacked, but with 4 1" discs between the 2 amps. The amps are never hot to the touch, just warm ~ low to mid 90s F, but I feel the spacers aren't hurting. This is a room that I don't feel comfortable running the PA5 in, I use that amp in a room that is usually 3-4 deg cooler due to the house/ac/ducting design. I could try the Fosi v3, but there's no sub option, so likely to keep the pair of A300s where they are, as they sound great, and the other amps are fine with their stereo only outputs.
Getting the V3 later today. I was hoping I’d be able to use the extra power from the A300 bridged to drive these 4ohm speakers without straining the amp and looks like they’ll be ok given my volume needs are very conservative.

That said, my plan now is to run the V3 on the 4ohm speakers with the 48V supply which should drive them without any issue, and move the bridged A300's to a pair of 8ohm speakers so the amps are seeing 4ohms.

torgeirs

I miss the efficiency graph and the power cube (reaktive cube) at 2 ohm. Like those on the Crown review.
This is where the Ma5332 chip used should be excellent compared to other inexpensive amps.
If it can drive 4 ohms at BTL it should be able to drive 2 ohms in stereo mode.
In the olden days stability and low impedance driving was what people paid for
So interesting too see if a `100 watt @ 8ohm` amp at 200$ could drive 2 ohms. Normally such an amp would fry or shut down

saberger0357

P
I miss the efficiency graph and the power cube (reaktive cube) at 2 ohm. Like those on the Crown review.
This is where the Ma5332 chip used should be excellent compared to other inexpensive amps.
If it can drive 4 ohms at BTL it should be able to drive 2 ohms in stereo mode.
In the olden days stability and low impedance driving was what people paid for
So interesting too see if a `100 watt @ 8ohm` amp at 200$ could drive 2 ohms. Normally such an amp would fry or shut down
I would guess dependent on not only quality of amp but how hard and long it’s being driven. In my case, not terribly hard and I not terribly long(I tend to switch between my several amps/speakers quite a bit). I checked it a few times when I was doing it and it stayed mostly warm to touch.

Until I know more about the amp however I feel better using it bridges with 8ohm speakers.

saberger0357

As an update, I finally received the Fosi V3 ( delivery was delayed and I’m still waiting for the 48v power supply :mad:). I’ve been demo’ing it with the stock psu for the past hour, after having spent the morning listening to the A300. Again, what follows is highly subjective, and specific to my room and Elac Dbr62 speakers, but this is what I’ve noticed so far:

1. The A300‘s sound is, for lack of a better term, “fuzzier” than the V3’s. On the V3, I find it’s easier to identify which speaker a particular sound/instrument, say hi-hats, or bass guitar strumming, is coming from. I’m more impressed by the clarity of the V3 - with a caveat; see point #3…

2. The bass on the A300 is louder (I’m guessing because the A300 has more wattage available at the moment), but it comes across to me as more taut and clean on the V3. On tracks with serious distortion ( like on the song “White Horses” by LOW) I find those distortions to be better described/ more interesting in detail - I’m not sure how to better explain this last part, I’m not a fan of heavy distortion, usually, and on my Loxjie and the A300 I wasn’t as enthralled by the details in this track’s distorted sounds as I have been on the V3.

3. The V3 is much more fatiguing because of the above. The A300 comes across as less in your face even at loud volumes - so much so that I had started to play with the tone controls and ended up adding 2 points of treble and taking away 1 point of bass - so, I agree that in comparison it is a smoother listen and I find I can listen for longer because of it.

Once I get the other power supply, I’ll do another round of listening and see what, if anything, changes.
Thanks for the excellent review.

This is another reason why I'm going to run the V3 with my 4ohm AR3 speakers. The 3's are great, but they will never be anybody's idea of bright. Just the opposite. I'm guessing the V3 will be a perfect match for it, especially when I get the 48V power supply.

torgeirs

I also see from infineon that they don’t brag about sinad. But they think 0,008% THD is OK and sufficient. (Well guess they also are hawking their GAN technology for a premium price)

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I have had an A300 for a few months now and I like it, I'm feeding it an SMSL DO100 DAC to it for 2ch and an Emotiva UMC-200 for MCH. Using A07's for Center and Surrounds and Sub. It is somewhat soft which isn't the best thing for 74 yr old ears.

Can anyone recommend an amp with the features I like the most on the A300, which are a must:
dual inputs (1 rca and 1 balanced ok as well as 2 rca), digital tone controls, a remote control and 100+ tested watts / channel and under $400? I've looked and looked but had no luck. I'll keep enjoying the A300 until I find something. Thanks much for your help.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
there isnt much out there if you're that particular

but if i was a wag i'd say you couldnt be *THAT* particular since you are fine with an A300!

to my tastes i'm ok with an amp that leaves off a dac... we dont need that given dacs are so cheap

i'm ok with a Fosi V3 given its $100 but once you get to double that you gotta increase the conveniences because with a V3 I'm needed to match it up with components that do more.

To me if the A300 does only 50w then I should be fine with the RA3 that also does... 50w!

saberger0357

I have had an A300 for a few months now and I like it, I'm feeding it an SMSL DO100 DAC to it for 2ch and an Emotiva UMC-200 for MCH. Using A07's for Center and Surrounds and Sub. It is somewhat soft which isn't the best thing for 74 yr old ears.

Can anyone recommend an amp with the features I like the most on the A300, which are a must:
dual inputs (1 rca and 1 balanced ok as well as 2 rca), digital tone controls, a remote control and 100+ tested watts / channel and under $400? I've looked and looked but had no luck. I'll keep enjoying the A300 until I find something. Thanks much for your help.
What speakers are you using? The V3 is very good, but not at all soft, and I'm using it with 4ohm AR3's which are a difficult load and often thought of as quite dark sounding speakers. Not my experience in general, and with the V3 not at all. If you're using more mellow speakers, particularly 4ohm, the V3 is probably worth at least a trial, particularly if you get the 48v power supply.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
there isnt much out there if you're that particular

but if i was a wag i'd say you couldnt be *THAT* particular since you are fine with an A300!

to my tastes i'm ok with an amp that leaves off a dac... we dont need that given dacs are so cheap

i'm ok with a Fosi V3 given its $100 but once you get to double that you gotta increase the conveniences because with a V3 I'm needed to match it up with components that do more.

To me if the A300 does only 50w then I should be fine with the RA3 that also does... 50w!
Thanks for your suggestions. Considering RA 3, it would be ok for my speakers as the A300 is, but no EQ.
  • Frequency Response: 26Hz – 22kHz +/- 3dB
  • Impedance: 4 ohms, nominal
  • Sensitivity: 92dB @ 2.83v/1 meter

Repdetect

Forum Donor
What speakers are you using? The V3 is very good, but not at all soft, and I'm using it with 4ohm AR3's which are a difficult load and often thought of as quite dark sounding speakers. Not my experience in general, and with the V3 not at all. If you're using more mellow speakers, particularly 4ohm, the V3 is probably worth at least a trial, particularly if you get the 48v power supply.
Thanks. Using Gallo Classico 4's. Specs in above post. I have the V3 on order from Fosi with the 48v PS. Only $99 with 48v PS! Purported "brightness" of V3 could help. I love SDB on A300, easy to tweak.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
damn those are some expensive impressive speakers

they are pretty efficient on those specs alone

i reckon the Sabaj A30 would be good if you're ok with the price and the dac-less design

if you 'like' the SMSL SBD thing you could buy one of their low priced dacs and you can turn it on there

saberger0357

Thanks. Using Gallo Classico 4's. Specs in above post. I have the V3 on order from Fosi with the 48v PS. Only $99 with 48v PS! Purported "brightness" of V3 could help. I love SDB on A300, easy to tweak.
I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts. But I would bet that the V3 will match well with your speakers.

Top Bottom