• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How much more do I need to spend to get a significant upgrade?

StefanSweden

Few months ago I got a pair of Dali Oberon 1 and a Bluesound Powernode Edge. I later addad a SVS SB-1000 Pro as suggested by members here. I really like my setup. I know this is not a high end audiophile system but more a lifestyle system with a hifi touch :) I like having the app, stream service, small foot print, ability to connect to a tv via hdmi eArc, built in crossover ( high pass the mains and low pass the sub) etc. Can play loud enough to have my townhouse neightbours windows rattle (she´ve told me :facepalm:).

All in all I´ve spent ~2000 usd.

But.. and I guess we are all in the same boat here. Looking for the better sound.

How much would I realistically need to spend to get 50-100% better sound? What is better? Higher SPL, more room filling sound... you know what I mean. I would rather have as few components as possible and stand mounts.

Im not in the market for buying new stuff I really apprechiate what I have and consider my self lucky. But I have an inner debate with my self about this and I simply dont know the awnser to my question as Im out of my field of expertise.

On Reddit a user said in a thread:
Revel M16+MiniDSP+ Hypex+(SVS/Rythmik/Hsu) = the absolute point of diminishing returns.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Could you post in-room response measurements of your system?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Few months ago I got a pair of Dali Oberon 1 and a Bluesound Powernode Edge. I later addad a SVS SB-1000 Pro as suggested by members here. I really like my setup. I know this is not a high end audiophile system but more a lifestyle system with a hifi touch :) I like having the app, stream service, small foot print, ability to connect to a tv via hdmi eArc, built in crossover ( high pass the mains and low pass the sub) etc. Can play loud enough to have my townhouse neightbours windows rattle (she´ve told me :facepalm:).

But.. and I guess we are all in the same boat here. Looking for the better sound.

How much would I realistically need to spend to get 50-100% better sound? What is better? Higher SPL, more room filling sound... you know what I mean. I would rather have as few components as possible and stand mounts.

Im not in the marketing for buying new stuff I really apprechiate what I have and consider my self lucky. But I have an inner debate with my self about this and I simply dont know the awnser to my question as Im out of my field of expertise.

Buy a measuring mic around a 100,-. Have a Windows laptop an for free foobar2000 an Mathaudio room eq (free Foobar version) basicly a one stop solution eq/DSP for dummies like me
:facepalm:. Listen to the result an decide to venture more in DSP like REW minidsp etc etc if you need more than Mathaudio.

Last edited:
OP
S

StefanSweden

Then you'll have to spend at least $100. :)
I guess this it what @HarmonicTHD said in one of my earlier thread when buying a sub.

I get it, my next step would be to take messurements and take it from there.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I guess this it what @HarmonicTHD said in one of my earlier thread when buying a sub.

I get it, my next step would be to take messurements and take it from there.
Do it.

Just park the what to buy question for a while and start measuring and optimising.

Are you a Roon user? During your investigation you can implement your filters in Roon. There are also other cost-effective means like the one mentioned by @Snarfie. EQ APO is another one.

At this point you don't need gear (other than a measurement microphone), you need insights.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Assuming we use a regular say 2020's laptop - where does the jack plug go? Is it where you'd otherwise plug in your headset?
You can plug it into a laptop using a CTIA splitter:
51QrY+zNp-L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

In case you don't trust the laptop's microphone input to have flat frequency response, you could buy an apple dongle and plug the mic into that, again via a CTIA splitter.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would wait for the Revel M16 to hit their $700/pair sale price. They are indeed a good point of diminishing returns. The waveguide tweeter gives them better directivity and less diffraction than most bookshelf speakers, and the 6.5" woofer gives you a bit more dynamic range than your Oberon 1's do.

Another great way to spend money is acoustic treatment. It is cost effective to build your own 3.5 or 5.5" absorption panels, which do a lot for sound quality when placed in problematic areas like the ceiling and rear wall.

If you frequently have multiple listeners, I would add a second subwoofer to broaden the sweet spot. For a single listener, careful placement + EQ of a single sub can suffice.

Steve81

Forum Donor
A huge +1 on being able to measure and then optimize your system.

As far as quality of your speakers and sub themselves…

This is what I could find on your Dali speakers. That’s not the most shameful performance I’ve ever seen, but it’s hardly SOTA. I tend to prefer the performance of speakers from brands like KEF and Revel, that control directivity, and have a more neutral FR. I do love me some good wide-directivity speakers like Philharmonic audio’s gear too though. Just depends on the room / desired result.

On subwoofers, the SVS is more or less a competent little sub, but that size exacts a price. It’s never going to have the deep bass ability of a larger system, nor the dynamic output to punch you in the chest. As far as costs go, DIY is the easiest path to get where you want to go, utilizing a well known design so you’re not the one stuck modeling everything.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@StefanSweden just looked at your forum name....fwiw Ascend probably has no presence in Sweden (it's an internet direct brand here in the US).

OP
S

StefanSweden

@StefanSweden just looked at your forum name....fwiw Ascend probably has no presence in Sweden (it's an internet direct brand here in the US).
I´ve never heard of them, so I dont think they have, unfortunately. Revel are being sold in hifi stores though.

Holmz

Major Contributor

How much would I realistically need to spend to get 50-100% better sound? What is better? Higher SPL, more room filling sound... you know what I mean.
I can guess.
But it is hard to know what better sound is.
It is easy to quantify things like loudness and SPL, but “better” gets fuzzy.

I would rather have as few components as possible and stand mounts.

Im not in the market for buying new stuff I really apprechiate what I have and consider my self lucky. But I have an inner debate with my self about this and I simply dont know the awnser to my question as Im out of my field of expertise.
Either just stop enjoy what you have (<— good advice, IMO), or start listening to more systems, and identify what you like about different systems.
And how they differ from your system.

They say all sorts of things on reddit. Mostly complaining, but occasionally some good stuff.
It is as bad as FB or any other place with a broad diaspora.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Things that make the biggest impact on your sound;
#1 the music you play
#2 your mood
#3 your room
#4 your speakers

It depends on your personal attitude but sometimes having "nice" gear can change your mood and your set of personal biases that affect what you hear. That's a whole other topic though :) Try to avoid this particular minefield and look at #3 and perhaps #4 but only after you've measured and considered

Measuring is a good idea, otherwise you don't know what your room is doing and you can't tell what's happened if you do make changes (another sub, speaker placement, room treatment, DSP)

Keep playing music while you try all this :)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Things that make the biggest impact on your sound;
#1 the music you play
#2 your mood
#3 your room
#4 your speakers

It depends on your personal attitude but sometimes having "nice" gear can change your mood and your set of personal biases that affect what you hear. That's a whole other topic though :) Try to avoid this particular minefield and look at #3 and perhaps #4 but only after you've measured and considered

^this^

3, and 1 and 2…

Most places that demo equipment have #3 sorted out, and they choose music that does not stress the system.
And you are already in the mood to listen.
If their system does not outshine your’s, then they are not doing it right.

At home you have your room… which you could help along.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That opening question is impossible to answer. If you have a smaller room then you might be near the limit what is possible, for you. Of course in that case your bass response is bonkers right now so miniDSP + rew is hugely most beneficial upgrade for what it costs.

I have noticed that there certainly are systems that wow me, but what they have common is a much larger, somewhat treated room to listen in and ability to play loud (no disturbance, speakers that can go to 100dB effortlessly),. That is when you get this more realistic and room filling sound. I'm skeptical if that can be accomplished in a small room (like I have) at all. Even if you push the volume up in a small room it feels like cramped and too much for the space.

Top Bottom