• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6s Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 341 90.0%

• Total voters

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Some people could still complain that it's not the correct logo... ;)
It must follow this:
marquage-ce.png

which is not what SMSL uses, it's not two perfect circles:
SMSL D6s.png

Attachments

• SMSL D6s.png
    SMSL D6s.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It must follow this:
marquage-ce.png

View attachment 320756

What is interesting is that for the FCC, I could only find two entries from FoShan ShuangMuSanLin technology co., ltd

2ASLV-SA300
2022-05-27
digital Amplifier
Original Equipment
2ASLV-A3
2019-03-15
Power Amplifier
Original Equipment

There is a question of FoShan Shuangmusanlin “technology” versus “electronics” as the official brand name.

@SMSL-Mandy , can you share with us the FCC report for this unit?

EDIT; I guess you can self certify with the FCC without a report. So I guess with those two tests, they have enough info to pass future products.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
It must follow this:
marquage-ce.png

View attachment 320756
Hmm… If the lie about this, maybe they also use fake components ? And the products sent to Amirm might be ” real ” products that measure well ?

How do we know, except that its obvious that this site is targeted to get good reviews to sell dacs ? ( not Amirms fault )

Last edited:

totti1965

I hope SMSL, Topping and others will now focus their attention on creating equal value/quality products for Wifi/Ethernet streaming and amplification both desktop and full sized versions.

And also put a bit more attention on QC and UX/UI.
Yes, some streaming / amplification / DAC Integreated Components like 15 years ago the Linn Majik would be nice!!!

For Quality Control / reliability issues with these chinese brands it would be totally nice, if some polls here in the forum could be started on a much more regular basis!
It is something where only forum members who own such devices (and use them) could help each other.

It's not something Amir could do on top of all his other work.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes, some streaming / amplification / DAC Integreated Components like 15 years ago the Linn Majik would be nice!!!

For Quality Control / reliability issues with these chinese brands it would be totally nice, if some polls here in the forum could be started on a much more regular basis!
It is something where only forum members who own such devices (and use them) could help each other.

It's not something Amir could do on top of all his other work.
Yes indeed.
The cheap price isnt cheap anymore if you have to buy new products every year

Grooved

I just realize one thing: looks like a very good DAC, but it only has a very small price difference with the DL200, which is the same but with balanced/unbalanced headphones amp added. Not tested here yet, but also based on ES9039Q2M and 4 x OPA1612, with SINAD at 5V being the same (from SMSL information)
If the form factor is not important, I would pick the DL200 over the D-6s

Esprit

Forum Donor
Honestly, I don't want to use TRS/XLR adapters (which I definitely have in some drawer).
The weight of the adapters and cables would cause the DAC to lift.
P.S. Excluding the headphone amplifier and the TRS rather than XLR outputs, the DACs are perfectly identical.

Last edited:

th2j

It look like the same as the DL200...

Same results in tests (those made by SMSL), as Amir didn't tested the DL200

The inside looks pretty identical also

dsnyder0cnn

Ordered one from Apos for $180. It's currently on a pack mule on the way to the sorting station.
I ordered one from Apos for $199. I must have missed the $19-off sale, but I'm fine with the price. Should pair nicely with the WiiM Pro that just arrived today.

burrella90

hello first time poster here but i often visit,

my question is probably considered silly but, is this D6-S a worthy upgrade from a Topping D10B? I noticed it has SE(RCA) out as well as balanced(xlr) which would be nice, my setup is -
topping d10(balanced output) - magnius(balanced input) for headphones - fosi v3 for bookshelf speakers via rca out from magnius.

thank you guys for all the work you do by the way.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You're unlikely to hear the difference between a D10B and the D6-S so unless you need the extra inputs there doesn't seem much point. I'd put the money towards headphones or speakers where the difference is most likely to be heard. Or look at EQ if you haven't already.

burrella90

You're unlikely to hear the difference between a D10B and the D6-S so unless you need the extra inputs there doesn't seem much point. I'd put the money towards headphones or speakers where the difference is most likely to be heard. Or look at EQ if you haven't already.
i have loki+ eq for the fosi v3, my cans are monolith m1570(openback),
so then i should focus on my speakers (diy sealed 4" woofers 1" car tweeters(i know, ew)..?
thank you :)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Have someone bought this dac yet - any issues with crackling sound when switching between spdif and USB input , or other issues ?

It would be nice to know that the serie version of this dac is as good as the one sent to Amirm.

Top Bottom