• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D400 Pro Balanced DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 122 50.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 36.6%

• Total voters

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Some people have a lot of money ;)

And we shouldn't hate on them, instead congratulate them.
Having alot of money and wasting it are two different things.
You can not have money and waste it and you can have alot of money and waste it. Either way you are wasting it.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having alot of money and wasting it are two different things.
You can not have money and waste it and you can have alot of money and waste it. Either way you are wasting it.
If one has money, it's ok to "waste" it. I want to waste money, but I have no money to waste. And if someone has money to "waste," it's their money to waste. And if you are not OK with it, then the problem is you, not them.

Additionally, to you, it might be "wasting money," to others, it's a hobby just like this audio hobby. My brother collects sneakers that he will never wear, it's a waste of money to me, because I think it's a stupid hobby, but to him, it's a hobby of joy, who is anyone to define joy for others?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
If one has money, it's ok to "waste" it. I want to waste money, but I have no money to waste. And if someone has money to "waste," it's their money to waste. And if you are not OK with it, then the problem is you, not them.

Additionally, to you, it might be "wasting money," to others, it's a hobby just like this audio hobby. My brother collects sneakers that he will never wear, it's a waste of money to me, because I think it's a stupid hobby, but to him, it's a hobby of joy, who is anyone to define joy for others?
I mean sure, its not like I am "mad" at anyone for wasting money. I literally don't care what other people do with their money as long as it doesn't affect me.
I just said that this product overall is pretty pointless because its just a waste of money compared to what else is on the market.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean sure, its not like I am "mad" at anyone for wasting money. I literally don't care what other people do with their money as long as it doesn't affect me.
I just said that this product overall is pretty pointless because its just a waste of money compared to what else is on the market.
I agree. But what I was getting at is about the statement that luxury watch is to "show off," that is a statement I hear people making time and time again, people buy luxury not to enjoy for themselves but rather it's to show off to others.

That can't be far from the truth. Yes, so people buy luxury to show off, but many buy luxury for self indulgence or gluttony.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I agree. But what I was getting at is about the statement that luxury watch is to "show off," that is a statement I hear people making time and time again, people buy luxury not to enjoy for themselves but rather it's to show off to others.

That can't be far from the truth. Yes, so people buy luxury to show off, but many buy luxury for self indulgence or gluttony.
I grew up in Miami. In Miami People buy luxury to show off to other people all the time. Everything is about vanity and image.
Sure some people buy for self indulgence, I never said they didn't.
The people I know and have seen buy to show off.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I grew up in Miami. In Miami People buy luxury to show off to other people all the time. Everything is about vanity and image.
Sure some people buy for self indulgence, I never said they didn't.
The people I know and have seen buy to show off.
There certainly are many places in this world that breeds the culture for people to buy luxury for vanity and to impress others.

That is sad to me, living life to impress others rather than for self enjoyment and self indulgence.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
There certainly are many places in this world that breeds the culture for people to buy luxury for vanity and to impress others.

That is sad to me, living life to impress others rather than for self enjoyment and self indulgence.
Well that is Miami for you. Image drives it all.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Well that is Miami for you. Image drives it all.
Just kidding - an idea "how to get shot with style": If had to live in such an "environment", for instance one wearing a Patek, the other one a Rolex, etc., I would not be wearing any. When asked why, I would say you all got fancy watches, but I got time :cool:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just kidding - an idea "how to get shot with style": If had to live in such an "environment", for instance one wearing a Patek, the other one a Rolex, etc., I would not be wearing any. When asked why, I would say you all got fancy watches, but I got time :cool:
Or just ignore these clowns so you can save yourself another 5 seconds!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
lol, I had this view for many years.
Now I have left Miami as it has only gotten worse.
Currently there is massive insurance fraud going on down there because people bought houses and cars they couldn't afford a couple years back. Now they are scamming insurance companies on bogus claims and fake crashing their cars, getting them "stolen" or pushing them in lakes to get out from under the payments and/or get lump sums of cash.
It's what happens when you don't think about tomorrow and live for "image".

respice finem

Major Contributor
lol, I had this view for many years.
Now I have left Miami as it has only gotten worse.
Currently there is massive insurance fraud going on down there because people bought houses and cars they couldn't afford a couple years back. Now they are scamming insurance companies on bogus claims and fake crashing their cars, getting them "stolen" or pushing them in lakes to get out from under the payments and/or get lump sums of cash.
A mugshot when they're caught, is also an image :p OK let's stop before the admin kicks us where we deserve...

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But their faces after I said it would be priceless LOL
A mugshot when they're caught, is also an image :p OK let's stop before the admin kicks us where we deserve...
:D love just shooting the breeze, fun.

Aside from the fact that living within one's mean is one of the main pillars to secure your financial future, I just can't imagine how it would be satisfying to impress others compared to self indulgence and gluttony, aside from the fact that too much gluttony in itself is not a good thing but still beats the virtue of impressing others instead.

respice finem

Major Contributor
:D love just shooting the breeze, fun.

Aside from the fact that living within one's mean is one of the main pillars to secure your financial future, I just can't imagine how it would be satisfying to impress others compared to self indulgence and gluttony, aside from the fact that too much gluttony in itself is not a good thing but still beats the virtue of impressing others instead.
But still, some risk remains to become like them, if they are too many. Probably they are not all born like this, they just had adapted to "the crowd"

Some people will buy things they don't need, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like
(I don't even remember where I read this)

Ugo Ruffini

Good morning, I believe that in the latest products measured by ASR the level is extraordinary and every defect is inaudible, for this reason I invite every hifi lover to listen to the acoustic performance live in their own chain because this is not measurable.... Furthermore, evaluate the power components used , capacitors etc. The e70 velvet topping measures extraordinarily but I found a DAC lacking depth and organicity!

Lasker

I got one of this d400 pro, I like particularly the design and I need xlr output for my Adams, ordered it a day before of Amir review. Actualy I have the sanskrith mk3 and I like It. Today or tomorrow I will have the 400 pro in my home.

Last edited:

Ugo Ruffini

I'm very curious to know your impression Adam makes excellent active speakers that are extremely revealing, I was very drawn to the new akm4499 ex because I read that in the new delta sigma engineering they integrated the drop of R2R resistors to give a more organic sound and broaden the scene!

Lasker

I'm very curious to know your impression Adam makes excellent active speakers that are extremely revealing, I was very drawn to the new akm4499 ex because I read that in the new delta sigma engineering they integrated the drop of R2R resistors to give a more organic sound and broaden the scene!
Ok Ugo.

Top Bottom