• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZMF Caldera Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 48 27.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 84 47.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 16.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%

• Total voters

fredristair

There are definitely impressive posters on this forum and many active in this thread but I certainly skip over yours. I simply made the point that it is really hard to have a great, technical headphone and tune it to Harmon. As evidence, I cite years and years of headphones being produced.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are definitely impressive posters on this forum and many active in this thread but I certainly skip over yours. I simply made the point that it is really hard to have a great, technical headphone and tune it to Harmon. As evidence, I cite years and years of headphones being produced.
It is freaking Harman.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Harmon? You mean a frequency response that is a target? Hmm
Either you are a troll, in which case I congratulate you - your portrayal of an ignorant flamer was spot on, and you got me. Kudos!

Or you are not a troll, you just don't even know the name people use to refer to the research, and a major audio product manufactuer, let alone knowing anything about it, yet you have strong opinions on the topic, in which case this conversation should give you enough clues as to where you are going wrong in life.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It always seemed to me that you couldn't really tune a headphone to Harmon without compromising the sound quality - Sennheiser would've done it by now
They did. For their top of the like headphone, they chose essentially Harman as their target curve:
Screenshot_20231216-151349_Drive.png
It scores 99/100 on the Harman preference score.

which is why the HD650 (or 600) remain so near-perfect to this day
What makes the HD600 so great is their Harman compliance:
Screenshot_20231216-152121_Drive.png

That they roll off in the bass is as expected from a near 30 years old design. It's not what makes them great.

fredristair

Either you are a troll, in which case I congratulate you - your portrayal of an ignorant flamer was spot on, and you got me. Kudos!

Or you are not a troll, you just don't even know the name people use to refer to the research, and a major audio product manufactuer, let alone knowing anything about it, yet you have strong opinions on the topic, in which case this conversation should give you enough clues as to where you are going wrong in life.

I'm sorry I get confused - I believe you are trolling - I have said nothing more than why have all the best headphones been sort of but not quite tuned to HARMON? Maybe there is some kind of limitation unique to headphones, if you want to maximize sound quality in certain parts of the frequency response. I listen to Susvara and HD650 no EQ

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sorry I get confused - I believe you are trolling - I have said nothing more than why have all the best headphones been sort of but not quite tuned to HARMON? Maybe there is some kind of limitation unique to headphones, if you want to maximize sound quality in certain parts of the frequency response. I listen to Susvara and HD650 no EQ
There is no HARMON tuning.

fredristair

What is that called when you focus on something about another person's argument or point of view and focus on one tiny detail and ignore the point the person is making? By isolating a particular statement or detail out of context, a person might attempt to undermine the credibility of the argument or the individual making it. It's important to be aware of such tactics in discussions or debates and to consider the full context of the information presented. Engaging in honest and open dialogue involves addressing the main points and understanding the argument as a whole.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@fredristair you claimed that Sennheiser would've already tuned a headphone to Harman if they knew how to without compromising sound quality.

In reality, they've made Harman compliant headphones for almost 30 years now (HD600).

Since then, they've worked on making their headphones even more compliant (HE-1), and making Harman compliant headphones even less expensive (HD560S).

So exactly which point are you trying to make, that we are ignoring?

fredristair

I guess you haven't looked at Amir's measurement of HD600 and compared it to Harmon. Definitely could be better, but it's definitely one of my favorite headphones. It seems like Sennheiser did the best they could to have an appealing frequency response while not sacrificing treble and midrange technicalities. It just seems like given the great history of headphones that it is not so simple to design a truly great headphone and have it totally nail that target - particularly in the bass. Susvara and HD6x0 do a good job. I would prefer a designer not totally focus on frequency response and in particular subbass.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess you haven't looked at Amir's measurement of HD600 and compared it to Harmon. Definitely could be better, but it's definitely one of my favorite headphones. It seems like Sennheiser did the best they could to have an appealing frequency response while not sacrificing treble and midrange technicalities. It just seems like given the great history of headphones that it is not so simple to design a truly great headphone and have it totally nail that target - particularly in the bass. Susvara and HD6x0 do a good job. I would prefer a designer not totally focus on frequency response and in particular subbass.
The HD600 is good, and as far as i know, they did it before Harman curve existed. And again, there is no Harmon.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So you have a preference for a little less low bass than what the Harman target describes. This does not invalidate the Harman research. It just shows you do not fall in the majority that prefers a bit more low bass.
The HD650 is a fine headphone (8.5/10 to Harman target but only because it lacks subbass extension).
Susvara is a great headphone too also (8/10 to Harman target because bass is too low and there is a 'dip' in the 2kHz range which some people seem to like)

I am sure substituting the a for an o is intentional to invoke responses and not ignorance/stupidity.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I was just remarking that it seemed not so easy to design a great headphone that totally conforms to Harman top to bottom (esp open back)

No it isn't easy at all. At least when you mean a headphone that conforms to the Harman target on a specific test fixture.
There are a few that do come close enough though.
Some deviation here and there is not a sin.

So far only Dan seems to be able to pull it off with closed (passive) over-ears (9/10)
When using electronics (active) this is much easier to do.
That is.... when not looking at IEM's.
They seem to be able to do this for peanuts in certain couplers.

Last edited:

fredristair

Doesn't seem like there are any good examples besides Dan Clark's stuff / closed backs - and a lot of people who have been through many top-tier headphones are not fans - right or wrong. There just must be something about a headphone that makes it really hard to have greatness and also get Harmon tuning (esp open back, again).

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't seem like there are any good examples besides Dan Clark's stuff / closed backs - and a lot of people who have been through many top-tier headphones are not fans - right or wrong. There just must be something about a headphone that makes it really hard to have greatness and also get Harmon tuning (esp open back, again).
It’s nothing new. Headphones are known to vary a lot, measure and sound very different. Some are closer to the Harman target and there are several such examples around.

SlothRock

This thread is honestly ridiculous from every side you can view it - Jesus. Thank god I’m over my headphone and speaker search and not brand new to this hobby.

Top Bottom