• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

I'd have a dig around this site a little more and have a look at threads focusing on doing meaningful comparisons between electronics in the sound reproduction chain.

But let's assume for a minute your comparison was valid. How do you know the Dell was flat and the apple has peaks and dips and not the other way round?

It's highly unlikely either do by the way. But again, what were you listening to them on. I'm assuming headphones but which?
I hear the airy (guess about more than 13khz) and lack of musicality and brightness of the Apple type-C dongle. Or my laptop boost some where at 8khz and 12khz and roll-off from around 14 khz. The difference in bass deep when listened with input speaker is more sensible. And I love to listen to 3.5 jack laptop usually.
Can it related to Harmonic excitement phenomenon in here? Music need some harmonic frequency mixing to sound good! https://mixingmonster.com/audio-frequencies

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I hear the airy (guess about more than 13khz) and lack of musicality and brightness of the Apple type-C dongle. Or my laptop boost some where at 8khz and 12khz and roll-off from around 14 khz. The difference in bass deep when listened with input speaker is more sensible. And I love to listen to 3.5 jack laptop usually.
Can it related to Harmonic excitement phenomenon in here? Music need some harmonic frequency mixing to sound good! https://mixingmonster.com/audio-frequencies
I think you are missing the point of ASR, and of High Fidelity in general. The purpose of equipment is to accurately reproduce the recording, not to alter it. It must be able to do that to be "hi-fi", even if that is not how you choose to listen. You can, of course, use tone controls or DSP to alter the sound to your preference or apply room correction, but you must have accurate reproduction as a base to start from.

Last edited:

AdrianTheCrack10

Hi @amirm, i have one question, i want to use this dongle for iem measurements in REW. So Would it be correct if i put this values in the software for getting the adequate voltage. In this case 0 dfbs equivalent to 1,039 Vrms? thanks in advanced.​
dongle.PNG

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @amirm, i have one question, i want to use this dongle for iem measurements in REW. So Would it be correct if i put this values in the software for getting the adequate voltage. In this case 0 dfbs equivalent to 1,039 Vrms? thanks in advanced.​
Only the A2049 dongle will output 1.0Vrms.
The model number is printed on the white cable.

Also, the exact output voltage will be slightly different for each dongle.
Better use a multimeter to measure yours, if you need precise voltages.

Lastly, the A2049 dongle will hard clip at 1.0V with load impedances <20Ω.

If you need clean 1.0V regardless of the IEM's impedance, then better look for another solution.

AdrianTheCrack10

Only the A2049 dongle will output 1.0Vrms.
The model number is printed on the white cable.

Also, the exact output voltage will be slightly different for each dongle.
Better use a multimeter to measure yours, if you need precise voltages.

Lastly, the A2049 dongle will hard clip at 1.0V with load impedances <20Ω.

If you need clean 1.0V regardless of the IEM's impedance, then better look for another solution.
Oh yes, I have that model, the A2049. And I have an IEC711 calibrated. I don't have a multimeter that's why I'm asking. It's because I want to measure the distortion. and I need the exact data for measurement. I was using er2se, it's a 15 ohm in ear. So you say it will clip. Makes sense. I have a Qudelix 5k, but I don't know the exact data to put it in the software.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
I travelled to Brazil recently

At the airport, I purchased a US version of the Apple USB-C 3.5mm headphones adapter (A2049)
Then compared to my european version (A2155)

Here are the SINAD dashboards
(APx 500 Flex - Source Samsung S23 Ultra with USB Audio pro app v7.0.26, signal from REW-generated WAV file 48kHz 0dBFS 997Hz signal - ADC RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE 7dBu range stereo - load is 300 ohm)

A2049 (US)

A2049 SINAD.png

A2155 (EU)

A2155 SINAD.png

And, to compare Apples with Apples
A2049 (US) @-6dB

A2049 -6dB SINAD.png

Difference is sample-to-sample level, I suppose.
At same level, the performance can be considered identical.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
It would be good to see them tested at the same output level.
Same output level -> same performance:
Dongle_SINAD.png
(Individual FFT graphs attached below)

The A2049 and 2155 have identical DACs and Amps. One is just software-locked to 6dB lower output.

Btw, iPads and iMacs can bypass this software-lock, giving you the full 1.0Vrms even with the EU A2155.

MacBooks and iPhones may also be capable, though I did not test this.

Attachments

• Dongle_SINAD.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same output level -> same performance:
View attachment 370099
(Individual FFT graphs attached below)

The A2049 and 2155 have identical DACs and Amps. One is just software-locked to 6dB lower output.

Btw, iPads and iMacs can bypass this software-lock, giving you the full 1.0Vrms even with the EU A2155.

MacBooks and iPhones may also be capable, though I did not test this.
A2155 -20dB (50mV) 16 ohm SINAD

A2155 -20dB (50mV) SINAD 16 Ohm.png

A2049 -26dB (50mV) 16 ohm SINAD

A2049 -26dB (50mV) SINAD.16 ohm.png

(ADC is the RME UFX III - Mic inputs 40dB gain - for the above)

NB: @staticV3 Your measurements are 20Hz-20kHz, the above are <10Hz-24kHz, which gives a 0.8dB lower SNR (and SINAD) for a flat white noise.
So they are coherent.

Last edited:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the heck is that?!? Heck even 1.0V is not much if you have high impedance headphones. Even 2.0V from a Monolith was not enough for the AKG K240DF I had, granted they were 600 ohms. One reason I changed to AirPods Pro and gave up on wired (I listen mostly at the gym or running, not much at home with headphones).

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why the heck is that?!? Heck even 1.0V is not much if you have high impedance headphones. Even 2.0V from a Monolith was not enough for the AKG K240DF I had, granted they were 600 ohms. One reason I changed to AirPods Pro and gave up on wired (I listen mostly at the gym or running, not much at home with headphones).
It's tiny, cheap and it measures well. Horses for courses and all that.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's tiny, cheap and it measures well. Horses for courses and all that.
Oh sure the performance for the money and size is astounding. When I first saw the dongle and realized it had an entire DAC inside, I was astounded. It really made me think about the size of electrons. So 1.0V for a niche use case (surely the vast majority of listeners are Bluetooth) is understandable. My question was why the Euro model is software locked to -6 dB. Some kind of maximum volume standard? But then why is it bypassed from a Mac? Or is it NOT bypassed by European Macs?

KaeliKoo

Bought a 2-pack of Envel usb C to 3.5mm adapter for $10 and run the 3.5 into Fosi SK-01 then into Fosi V3 stereo from Blackview T50 android tablet. Works great, tiny battery drain but surprised at sound from $5 usb C dongle. On the deck in back...sunshine and good tunes. Hiby FC4 still supreme for critical listening, but $5 backups when not using cans works nicely for the gang, no complaints.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Oh sure the performance for the money and size is astounding. When I first saw the dongle and realized it had an entire DAC inside, I was astounded. It really made me think about the size of electrons. So 1.0V for a niche use case (surely the vast majority of listeners are Bluetooth) is understandable. My question was why the Euro model is software locked to -6 dB. Some kind of maximum volume standard? But then why is it bypassed from a Mac? Or is it NOT bypassed by European Macs?
Makes me wonder:
1. Does Apple sell this at a loss to impress people who otherwise wouldn't consider buying Apple?
2. If not, to what degree are their other products priced at what they think the market can bear (I happen to like their stuff but buy used)?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
EU "don't want to damage hearing" argument is stupid, but is the reason for the lack of voltage. Playback volume is a combination of factors, loudness of the material played, user chosen volume level in software/hardware and headphone/loudspeaker efficiency.
An early CD of any artist, say Fleetwood Mac Rumours or Pink Floyd DSotM is going to be so low in volume compared to say Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia from a couple of years back that there is simply no level playing field. I used to struggle like heck to play DSotM during commutes on my phone (ROKR E1 !!!!!) but could play later releases with easily 'enough' volume.

Apple probably manufacture in such huge quantity, and due to damage/loss there is enough profit to make it financially viable.

importantly: @Rja4000 A huge and great many thanks for comparing the two products with measurements and settling some of the possible comparison questions. A firm handshake and a nod of gratitude.

Top Bottom