• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Pairing for Moondrop Aria and Tygr 300

Hello everyone,

I use Apple USB C Dongle (EU version) on Pixel 4a to run -
  1. Moondrop Aria (the old version with black color)
    Sensitivity: 122dB/Vrms (@1kHz)
    Impedance: 32Ω士15% (@1kHz)

2. Beyerdynamic Tygr 300
    Nominal impedance: 32 Ω
    Nominal SPL: 96 dB @ 1 mW @ 500 Hz
    T.H.D.: < 0,2% @ 1 mW @ 500 Hz
    Power handling capacity: 100 mW

Because I use a custom ROM, I cannot buy and install UAPP Pro. Therefore, I cannot use the dongle at a higher volume. This has already been discussed in few other posts here.

I can run my Arias comfortably with the Apple dongle, however the Beyerdynamics have a very low volume when using on my phone. On laptop, its ok. I don't listen at very high volumes, but still I don't think the volume is reaching the optimum level. Hence, I want to buy a new dongle.

Music I listen to - Shoegaze, Indie Rock, Post Rock.
Source - Qobuz. Local files. (I also use Wavelet for EQ)

I don't have any balanced cables. I don't know if I can use them with Aria. Tygr's cable is non removable.

The options I have in mind -
  1. Headphone Zone X DDHiFi
  2. FiiO X Jade Audio - KA11

3. Moondrop Dawn Pro
    The grill design looks cool, but I don't like it as dirt and liquid can go inside. Good the know and see that the 3.5 and 4.4 mm ports are aligned. 100 volume steps.

4. Tanchjim Space
    Aligned 3.5 and 4.4 mm ports. Better design and aesthetics for my taste. 50 volume steps? Better software and firmware revision updates? (Privacy and persmissions on android)

5. FiiO - KA13
I am open for other recommendations.

Questions I have in mind -
  1. Which DAC will pair better with Moondrop Aria and Tygr 300?

2. Will the DAC I choose perform better with budget Planar IEM?

3. I might buy either an IEM or a Headphone in future. Since I use Qobuz (might try Tidal too), do I need to bother myself with PCM, DSD and MQA? Some DACs have Official Hi-Res Logo on them, is their any benefit to it?

Thank you for reading this long post. I appreciate you taking time for this.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Soundblaster X1 would be best since it outputs 2.4 volts if it detects over 120ohm. I have a Tanchjin Space and the single end for they Beyerdynamic won't be that great, the 4.4mm is where the power is best for headphones. Also it comes with a Creative app so should run on a custom ROM, but you could try installing before buying just to verify it works.
I've flashed a lot of ROMs and it's fun, but just shop for phones with stock Android these days to avoid the bloatware. It was fun, but frustrating with boot loops at times on some of them.

OP
T
Thanks for your reply Dunring. I wonder if I use a 3.5 to 4.4 mm adapter for Tygr, will there be any difference in sound quality. And maybe it wont be of any help to use a 4.4mm cable for Aria.

I meant I use Custom ROM on my Pixel 4a. I don't use Google Play Store, so buying an app is not possible. I just installed it once, and never went back to stock or any other ROM. There are some limitations but I am going along.

Soundblaster X1 seems a good option for gaming on laptop. They don't mention anything about its use and compatibility with Android.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply Dunring. I wonder if I use a 3.5 to 4.4 mm adapter for Tygr, will there be any difference in sound quality. And maybe it wont be of any help to use a 4.4mm cable for Aria.

I meant I use Custom ROM on my Pixel 4a. I don't use Google Play Store, so buying an app is not possible. I just installed it once, and never went back to stock or any other ROM. There are some limitations but I am going along.

Soundblaster X1 seems a good option for gaming on laptop. They don't mention anything about its use and compatibility with Android.
Cant convert balanced 4.4 socket to single ended 3.5 on headphones.

Can convert balanced headphone to single ended 3.5 (or 6.35).

Top Bottom