• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Golden Turkey Awards

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So much "research" around here... Unpublished alas, elsewhere than in advertisements and audio fora - it's about time for them to gain the recognition they deserve !

I am so looking forward to their first Nobel Prize in physics.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I banned the founder, Ted, from a forum I moderate for trying to con various members some months back... :facepalm:
There's a poor guy on one of the sales sites I visit who's been trying to sell his "Synergistic Research Atmosphere RF Field Generator" for maybe a year now. I wonder when and why he decided it wasn't worth keeping.

Bad times for the seller, for the money he spent on that thing, and bad times for the future buyer.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
With the stuff measured of ASR, I guess Woo Audio, Audio-gd and most AVRs fit the turkey bill.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the worst price/performance ratio measured here of Dacs, headphone amps or anything else that sticks out from the crowd?
C37 laquer. Supposed to paint it on almost anything which resembles audio equipment, like speaker cones! EDIT: Price/performance ratio is probably negative because it makes SQ worse ...

And wooden audiophile volume knobs.

Last edited:
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor
C37 laquer. Supposed to paint it on almost anything which resembles audio equipment. Speaker cones!
And wooden audiophile volume knobs.
Sounds like high-value snake oil.
Wooden volume knobs sound just right for amps with grounding issues.

OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
Robin L

Robin L

Master Contributor

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not just price to lack of performance. How about the emperor's clothes award? It's for pricey gear with widespread accolades that measures like a clock radio. The Schiit Yaggi comes to mind. A $2200 DAC which many reviewers loved with 12 bit resolution. I'm sure there are other candidates.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Things measured on ASR or ?

High End Audio is replete of components worthy of usch honors... from Ethernet Cables at $10,000 although IMO the $15,000 USB cable wins hands down .. or this extremely musical amp whose measurements challenged the understatements capabilities of one John Atkinson ...

Here are the measurements from Stereophile and please red JA conclusion ...
https://www.stereophile.com/content/wavac-sh-833-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

This emotion inducing component is $350,000 the pair and it manages to produce 150 Watts in pure Class A @ more than 10% of THD.. yes ! You read that right: THD is 1 0, Ten in decimal notation ... I leave it to those with more knowledge to infer the SINAD from the measurements ...
Of course if you can acquire this beautiful amp it and post it on one of those subjective websites . combined with a Living Voice $350,000 speaker and similarly priced cable loom , You will instantly be granted Ultra Guru status... Here on ASR, with a bunch of plebeians lauding $99 DAC and similarly priced headphones amplifers, acquiring a pair of Wavac SH-833 will have Thomas Savage removing your posting rights ... although Amir, in a fit of magnanimity would travel to your place to measure this pair of magical components (He would ask you to send them to him but at 500 lbs , I am not sure you would want to do that :) .. ) He'll gratify us with great graphs and a different conclusion ... And of course You, the lucky owner will only have to measure with your platinum ears (We trust these BTW) the width (miles wide), depth (same) and the degree of blackness from which the music emerges ... as for the Organic qualities of this amplifier, the USDA is working on an audiophile department ... :D to make sure that a reproduction can indeed be labelled as such ...

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Things measured on ASR or ?

This emotion inducing component is $350,000 the pair and it manages to produce 150 Watts in pure Class A @ more than 10% of THD.. yes ! You read that right: THD is 1 0, Ten in decimal notation .

Cool, Wavac was my first thought but it does something that many into valve amps that act as effects boxes want. It has the added advantage of parting one with so much money that virtually no one will call you on it.

Top Bottom