• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of the PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My short list of possible next preamp/dacs just got little shorter.

Is this bad unit or has there been other sites with measurement results like this ?

No, this is what you get. They are consistent at least.
Shocking, isn't it?
Lots of great DAC's out there, no need to buy garbage.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I posted the link to Amirs test of the Directstream dac on PS Audios forum. The results we know well..

But this..? No, I don't dare..:oops:
I'm sure they are reading it anyway..
DO IT!!!!!! lol, I wanna see heads explode, it is the Halloween season after all. And post a link!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I posted the link to Amirs test of the Directstream dac on PS Audios forum. The results we know well..

But this..? No, I don't dare..:oops:
I'm sure they are reading it anyway..

Let the tantrums begin!! How long before someone comes in with one post, looking to tell us our ears and systems suck?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
No, this is what you get. They are consistent at least.
Shocking, isn't it?
Lots of great DAC's out there, no need to buy garbage.

What I don't understand is that you have to deliberately work to make something this bad with the average quality of the cheapest IC's and passives available today.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Or just a shattered pile of pink rubble.
?

kavaii-clip-art-kawaii-cliparts.jpg

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems the unstated philosophy is that a high noise floor sounds better (more like vinyl I suppose)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..] The Gain Cell is the PS Audio name for a differential mixer circuit called Gilbert Cell. Using 6 transistors in a clever differential configuration, you can either mix two analog signals together, or use DC on one pair of inputs and control the gain of the other. The latter is what is used here. [..] While Gilbert cell is used in IC designs to good effect, there, matching of the transistors is easy. Not so in a discrete design as is used here. The transistors used to control the gain have their own non-linearities so the concept that there is no loss is quite dubious.
[..]
There are voltage controlled amplifier ICs used in Audio/Video Receivers and they perform far better than this.
Again we see that it is almost impossible to reach or even exceed the performance of integrated circuits with discrete designs. This should be a warning to other boutique designers.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shocking. I'm looking forward to seeing Paul spin this one in one of his videos "weeeeellllllll, what a great review Amir....waffle waffle waffle...….burble burble burble...….bollox….so that's why this is such a great DAC! Until next time, be good y'all"

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I don't understand is that you have to deliberately work to make something this bad with the average quality of the cheapest IC's and passives available today.
These companies must do something different to stand out of the crowd. Going discrete seems to be the easiest way: see how much work we do to improve upon those bad chips. Give us money, we earned it! Otherwise it's difficult to charge a lot of money when the internals look like a Topping D10.

Unfortunately this trend is not limited to boutique highend companies - see Marantz discrete HDAM output stage which also seems to be the culprit in the performance of its highend AVPs.

BillG

Major Contributor

simbloke

Forum Donor
Good grief this is so sad. Never mind DAC's, they can't even make a decent volume control.

Again and again this site demonstrates that "high end" audio companies have been pulling the wool over our eyes (well ears) for years.

Edit typo.

gvl

Major Contributor
It's hard to believe the bad performance of their products is not deliberate. I mean, they must know better.

Top Bottom