• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How good is bad? (Raspberry Pi 4B headphone output DAC review)

Is Raspberry Pi 4B headphone output audio “near-CD-quality”?

• Yes

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • No

Votes: 95 90.5%

• Total voters

melomane13

Fairly confident I can hear the difference in this case!
Are you sure?
it's the same speech given by people saying that they hear differences between amps...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure?
it's the same speech given by people saying that they hear differences between amps...
Not when the measurements show that the distortion and noise are well above the level of audibility. Not to mention a rather not flat FR.

benanders

Is there any knowing whether the HP-out was dropped from RPi 5 due to power draw vs. perhaps the Foundation already being aware it was measurably problematic?

If the HP-out was dropped bc of reasons other than measurement, I bet anyone from the Foundation seeing this review would think “Phew!!:D

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there any knowing whether the HP-out was dropped from RPi 5 due to power draw vs. perhaps the Foundation already being aware it was measurably problematic?

If the HP-out was dropped bc of reasons other than measurement, I bet anyone from the Foundation seeing this review would think “Phew!!:D
Space constraints on the RPI 5 board is the official explanation.

Last edited:

melomane13

what is the charge impedency input impedance of audio interface you have used?

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

It was never meant to be a high quality output - just something better than a buzzer as part of an educational platform. If anything it's a surprise that general purpose PWM outputs can perform that well as an audio output. It was originally substantially worse - see this thread for the discussion of the improvements made in a driver update some years back.

Top Bottom