• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I never can afford a rme device. But had managed to get a mojo before and had sold it some time back to get a dac and thx amp. Then i did not do it as i wasnt completely sure why i felt mojo better. Lot of layering in the drums and cymbals even voices fused together on the apple dac was easily serperstely hearable and so on. I guess it had power resrves that let me hear those layere more easily. I think before jumping in i should just het atransparent more powerful amp to see if the diference was just the power. I think an atom would do it for my beoplay h6 headphone.

I'm being deadly serious when I say if you have to purchase anything else, it should probably be different headphones. I promise that's where you'll get the most benefit. If you pick wisely

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I guess it had power resrves that let me hear those layere more easily.

Or the sound was identical and you fell victim to the wetware issues that plague all humans. Level-match to 0.1dB and double blind.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A scenario played out a few hundred times on this thread and a few billion on this site.

I even try not to think of them as "them"
Yes, I understand how others sometimes attack the messenger when trying to explain how the science of audio works, but I have had good experiences by approaching others in a more comprehensive manner.

Objectivist01

Or the sound was identical and you fell victim to the wetware issues that plague all humans. Level-match to 0.1dB and double blind.
But at whatever level I had listened, I never heard the vibration of the bass guitar on the track another one bites the dust on any device other than mojo, may be those fr is different that mojo is exaggerating those freq more. Or it could be that the mojo has more control over the driver attack and decay that I am hearing it due to lack of temporal masking. Either way I cannot hear it whatsoever on the Apple dongle. It’s simply not there. Same with daft punks within, the first cymbal on the Apple dongle is like sssrsssrsss. Smooth! On mojo it’s more like srsrsrsrsrsrsr.. it’s like the cymbal is vibrating. There is no texture . I want to try an atom with dongle against the mojo to see if it’s just the power which is damping to driver faster to let me hear adjacent notes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But at whatever level I had listened, I never heard the vibration of the bass guitar on the track another one bites the dust on any device other than mojo, may be those fr is different that mojo is exaggerating those freq more. Or it could be that the mojo has more control over the driver attack and decay that I am hearing it due to lack of temporal masking. Either way I cannot hear it whatsoever on the Apple dongle. It’s simply not there. Same with daft punks within, the first cymbal on the Apple dongle is like sssrsssrsss. Smooth! On mojo it’s more like srsrsrsrsrsrsr.. it’s like the cymbal is vibrating. There is no texture . I want to try an atom with dongle against the mojo to see if it’s just the power which is damping to driver faster to let me hear adjacent notes.

All this is on the b&o?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

No basic controls. I'm sorry, your "observation" is not credible.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. Sorry i cannot do anything for that. I am not convinced either about your explanation. So let me leave.

Shame. We were perhaps getting somewhere.

But I cant get that Queen song you like so much out of my head.

Or,now, Britney Spears.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Ok. Sorry i cannot do anything for that. I am not convinced either about your explanation. So let me leave.

When you come to a science and evidence based discussion tossing around terms like "temporal masking," hand-waving unlikely claims, ignoring the solid science of psychoacoustics, and ignoring good advice people have been giving you, don't be surprised if you're not taken seriously.

Objectivist01

When you come to a science and evidence based discussion tossing around terms like "temporal masking," hand-waving unlikely claims, ignoring the solid science of psychoacoustics, and ignoring good advice people have been giving you, don't be surprised if you're not taken seriously.
Temporal masking is solid psychoacoustics

Objectivist01

Not the way you use it.
Why? Its the masking of adjacent sounds in simple terms. If you have slow driver moving back and forth, it essentially means you are letting the train of signals letting overlap. Either use a faster driver, or use a powerful amp which can control the drivers movement should solve this. Hearing details is only result of not letting frequency masking and temporal masking happening. That’s what I know.

i also understand that Psycho acoustics is not a completely decoded science topic. There are still no answers about several phenomenon in hearing. So, before we quantify everything with measurements we need to know what parameter maps to what in terms of human hearing to look at the numbers and decide if a device is good or not.

Anyway, I could be wrong.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Why? Its the masking of adjacent sounds in simple terms. If you have slow driver moving back and forth, it essentially means you are letting the train of signals letting overlap. Either use a faster driver, or use a powerful amp which can control the drivers movement should solve this. Hearing details is only result of not letting frequency masking and temporal masking happening. That’s what I know.

i also understand that Psycho acoustics is not a completely decoded science topic. There are still no answers about several phenomenon in hearing. So, before we quantify everything with measurements we need to know what parameter maps to what in terms of human hearing to look at the numbers and decide if a device is good or not.

Anyway, I could be wrong.

Yes, indeed you could.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hi,

What's the need ?

Can you measure love ? Or just express what you're feeling ?

Same goes for me with music : I listen to music and enjoy it and I am happy.
I am awfully sorry to report that a perfect response curve doesn't give me goose bump, when a really nice interpretation of, say Mahler's 4th symphony can do that...

As soon as I try to explain that (and I already did in these forums) : all I got is mockery from truthknowers that claim I can only be wrong because the device I like more than another has poorer measures.

Me, I am just searching for an explanation as to why this gives me a goosebump... and I think I never triedto force my views upon any member of this forum.

Music and goosebumps. From a simple Google search.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Frisson

Last edited:
Top Bottom