Search results

1. 7

Develop a metric for CD Transport and CD Player performance

Inpsired by the 9% variance from best-to-worst in CD Rip accuracy between different CD ROM drives shown here. https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?43786-CD-Drive-Accuracy-2019 Use case #1 Compare transports to transports with accuracy % metric. Use digital output (SPDIF/Toslink) from...
  2. 7

Absorbers - What do these scores actually mean, in multi-layer simulations?

Question for those familiar with absorption performance scores. I have read that 1=total absorption. What is the real, if measurable or perceived, difference between a .9 and a .95 for example? Using this tool...
  3. 7

Speakers against front wall - can this be settled?

Apologies if this has been summarized already on ASR but I could not find it. Based on this image from Genelec, shouldn't all full-range speakers be near to the front wall? I have heard the advice that for best stereo image the speakers should be away from the front wall. Is this "away from...
  4. 7

Original LS50 Speaker Stand Mounting/Securing? No holes in speaker?

I see that the LS50 Meta has threaded holes in the bottom, but did the original LS50? I am thinking that it did not. Am I wrong about this? Has anyone "secured" the original LS50 to stands by some other way? Zip ties? Ratchet Strap? Tape? Glue? Velcro? Putty? Localized gravity enhancer?
  5. 7

Using dual center channel speakers - Any downside?

Other than needing an extra channel of amplification, and taking up the extra room, is there any downside to using two of the same center channel speakers side-by-side? The implementation would be to take the center output from a Pre-Pro, use a Y-splitter, and send that to individual amp...
  6. 7

Digital XLR outputs - list of streamers or computer interfaces with AES/EBU

Looking to create or find a list of devices that have AES/EBU digital output. Preferably a combo-streamer box (includes a DAC), but would consider other options: Streamers w/DAC: Cambridge Audio Azur 851N $1500. discontinued?!? Bel Canto e Stream - $1,595.00 Streamers no DAC...
  7. 7

Need advice, Genelec 8361A volume control suggestions

Interested in the Genelec 8361A. My sources are analog and some digital players. If I use my own analog preamp it is simple, no discussion needed on that point. For digital inputs I am not sure what to do. From the 8361A operations manual, Page 2, Audio Inputs section: "When the digital...
  8. 7

JBL Cinema Owners - Support Group Thread

Me: "I bought speakers from an actual movie theater!" People: "You need help." Me: "Yes! Thankfully the people on ASR are very helpful." People: "No, I mean, seek professional help." Me: "Yes! Many of the people on ASR are professionals!" People: (back away slowly and leave) The...
  9. 7

Help with fomo - JBL 4645C Subwoofer

I passed on a chance to buy a couple of these: https://jblpro.com/en-US/site_elements/jbl-professional-spec_sheets_pdf-4645c-spec-sheet I was thinking: -Quality subwoofers are a "solved problem" (new stuff is probably better) -They are huge -I don't want to buy separate amps/xover/eq etc. I...
  10. 7

Home Theater/Stereo room design "The Golden Trapagon" and early reflections. Does it make sense?

I read an article on home theater rooms that stated if you could angle the sheetrock into the trapagon shape, the goal is a seating area smaller than the screen wall. One quote was that it would "funnel sound to the seating area." When I think of most theater or concert hall room shapes I...
  11. 7

Amir, we need your Salon2 spins

Hi Amir, The world needs your Salon2 measurements. Yes, they're heavy, but: -They're already in your house -You measure audio gear, but not yet your own speakers?!? Propose the cost to us: -HAZMAT suit rental for you and your significant other -Two friendly and sanitary people to move the...
  12. 7

Talk me out of buying an "audiophile" preamp - confirm/deny some myths/assumptions

Looking for a solid state analog-only preamp. I like the Benchmark LA4 but would like to have two sets of balanced outputs. I am more interested and intrigued by these preamps (I do understand that none of the three are in the same price category): Bryston BP-17 (3) Ayre KX-5 Twenty...
  13. 7

Requesting help with strange REW result

Hi all! My first attempt at measurements with UMIK and REW. Sorry for the graphic quality, let me know what additional data will help. Microphone at LP, 6ft away from speakers, on axis, speakers 6ft apart: I did bottom one first, labeled "Both Speakers" L+R measurement first and saw the...
  14. 7

Quiet HVAC for Audio Room options?

Hi all, Forced air heat and cooling is a bit loud in my listening room. I've seen reference to use of "mini-split" systems but I am not sure I am willing to go that route. Are they really very quiet? I've also seen reference to removing/blocking duct work. Has anyone isolated the ducting...
  15. 7

Subfolder - sticky - test

Topic intro
  16. 7

Delayed Energy Waterfalls - need help

Hi all, I've decided I want Revel Salon 2 speakers. The measurements are "good" and I've seen nothing offensive. One question is about this waterfall: JA says in the Stereophile review "some low-level delayed energy can be seen in the low treble. " I've seen better plots. I have also...
  17. 7

Help interpret measurements - KEF Reference 5 vs. Revel Performa F228Be

Hi all, I'll start by saying thanks, the quality of content here is amazing. I'm looking at these two speakers: https://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-reference-5-loudspeaker-measurements https://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa-f228be-loudspeaker-measurements The subjective...
  18. 7

What is the ideal spinorama "estimated in-room" average line tilt?

I am describing "tilt" as the angle of the averaged line for the estimated in-room response. I have read that it is a design goal for the in-room treble response to "not exceed the midrange" and we see that result in some speaker measurements. Revel M16 "tilt" 6db KEF R3 "tilt" 8db. KEF...
  19. 7

Time Domain measurements?

Hi all, I'm glad to find this place because I think measurements are important. Am I overlooking time domain measurements in the reviews? For reference, stereophile reviews of the Revel F228Be and B&W 802 D3 reference time domain comments like "tweeter's output arriving at the microphone...
Top Bottom