Search results

1. HerbDetective

Review and Measurements of Topping NX4 DSD Dac and Portable Headphone Amplifier

As an update, my replacement NX4 DSD arrived and it's been working good so far. I wonder how common my experience has been among Topping NX4 DSD owners.
  2. HerbDetective

Yep it's fully charged. That was the first thing I suspected, so I let it charge for a good hour or so.
  3. HerbDetective

It's still there after a reboot, on a separate windows 10 computer, and my Android phone doesn't detect the DAC now either when it was working before.
  4. HerbDetective

Today, when I powered on my NX4 DSD, a Windows notification popped up: "The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it." Does this mean that my device is dead? Any troubleshooting tips?
  5. HerbDetective

The response graph in my earlier post was the multi-tone test. This is the sweep frequency response graph:
  6. HerbDetective

There doesn't seem to be user-friendly way to change this without opening up the device, which I'm not inclined to do.
  7. HerbDetective

Just got my Topping NX4 DSD DAC today, and was quite excited to try it. Gave it a quick listen and it sounded good to my ears. Decided to do some very basic comparisons using RMAA between this and my previous DAC, the Hifime U2 Async USB DAC using the ES9018 chip. NX4 settings: - Windows...
  8. HerbDetective

IEMs Recommendations

Wow thank you for these threads! I wasn't aware of them.
  9. HerbDetective

Low Imp IEM Needs Headphone Amp?

I just bought an NX4 DSD and hope to use it as a desktop amp too. Do you find that the power supply that powers your E12A amp matters? Is there audible noise when it's powered and music is playing too?
  10. HerbDetective

IEMs Recommendations

What IEMs do you use? What would you recommend, for what budget? Personally I use a DUNU 1000, and I like it very much for its bass and slightly v-shape sound. Would recommend. I'm looking for something a step up. I know that at this price, the law of diminishing returns takes over, but one...
  11. HerbDetective

I guess I'll need to find out if the NX4 supports windows volume control. Thanks so much for sharing your experience!
  12. HerbDetective

Does the DAC portion of the NX4 DSD allow you to control the output volume from Windows? For your measurements, Windows/Mac volume was 100%? Thank you for the measurements and graphs for the NX4 DSD on low gain! Based on this graph, it seems like there's a consistent 1-2dB of volume...
  13. HerbDetective

I'm curious about the usage of the NX4 with high sensitivity low impedance devices too. Will you run into the channel imbalance issue that's shown in the measurements taken by amirm?
  14. HerbDetective

Thank you for your suggestion! I'm seriously considering the NX4 DSD now, with its output impedance of 0.9 ohms. Any idea if charging it from the charging port while using it as a DAC from the other port will result in noise from the power supply being carried over to the audio signal?
  15. HerbDetective

Are Measurements of Schiit Yggdrasil DAC Inconsistent?

For the audio file, you could downmix them to mono in Audacity, or use the "Downmix channels to mono" DSP in Foobar to output mono. That way the left and right outputs will be identical, at least at the source. By doing D50 --> Mag III --> PA3 --> Speakers, does the switch to toggle between the...
  16. HerbDetective

Would a low impedance IEM, with moderate sensitive, benefit in any way from a headphone amp, versus running it straight off the DAC output and using the digital volume control to obtain safe listening volumes? My use case: I use a Dunu-1000 (imp: 10 ohms, sens: 98 dB) IEM. Measurements. I've...
Top Bottom