• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

100V Electronics in US - Voltage Converter Really Needed?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Simple question:

If I use a Japan market amplifier rated for 100V in the US do I really need a voltage converter?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes. Don't even think about not using one.

Your insurance likely won't cover the house fire caused by the Japanese home-market 100VAC amplifier you plugged into a US power point either.

For a traditional transformer based supply, all the secondary voltages will be 20% higher, currents will increase, capacitors may have their working voltage exceeded, overheat and vent, the TXF may overheat. Incandescent bulbs (if any) will rapidly fail. The amplifier (if conventional) will deliver more power than it was designed for, which may tempt you to push it harder and accelerate its already tenuous grip on functionality. There may not be requisite thermal fuses in home-market Japanese gear and fires can and do result.

Sure, you can import a 100V Lux or an Accuphase direct from Japan or a 2nd hand dealer, but you will be on your own when it fails. Accuphase will not supply you with parts or help unless you go through their country dealer. If it wasn't sold in the US, the door will slam shut on service. I'm not sure if the home market rules still apply (anti grey market exports) where all gear sold in Japan must be fixed 100V and offer no internal way of changing to other voltages. Less important with SMPS supplies as they can be configured, but a big amplifier transformer? No way.

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If you have a Variac of sufficient current capability you can dial down the voltage to 100V. In the past, I've used an old power transformer which had multiple windings, inputted 120V into the 120V winding and powered my grey market DAT via the 100V winding.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hoping that I can get some insight for a power draw much smaller than an amplifier.

I have a Luxman 100V turntable that I use a small step-down transformer to power; the turntable has a stated power consumption of 6W. Recently I have found that the transformer is injecting noise into my MM phono stage.

Is it safe to operate the turntable on 120V (at this low power) or should I replace the transformer with a quieter model? Open to other suggestions as well, but do plan to keep the turntable.

Top Bottom