• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

1st Budget System Speaker Suggestion in Australia (local prices included)

rikawa

Hi everybody, this is my first post here. Trying to buy my 1st stereo system. Very new to this world. Don't want to spend too much, just would like to have any decent quality. Currently living in Australia so these are the prices I can find today. I'll give some options I think it's not too bad and some used ones I found too. I'll need a Chromecast streamer too. I don't have a specific budget, but would love to spend as low as possible.

I listen all kind of music, room is 20m2.

Here are the Australian prices today (in USD for reference)

ELAC Db62 $470
Q Acoustic 3030i $322
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 $503
Triangle Borea BR03 $505

These are over my budget, but just for reference
ELAC DBR62 $724
Revel M16 $1250
Emotiva B2+ $1998

Amp
WiiM Amp $325 ($260 If I get with the Triangle Borea BR03)
Yananha A S501 (Used) $325 + Wiim Pro $144 = $469

To be honest I was thinking on this 2 cheap combos.
WiiM Amp + Q Acoustic 3030i $647
WiiM Amp + Triangle Borea BR03 $765

I don't know how much I'd be loosing not get the USED S501, does it really worth $200 more from the WiiM Amp.

Just another thing, I really love watch movies. I have a TCL C845 75 without any speakers. I will loose too much going 2.1 (in the future I'd like to use a SW). Maybe I should looking for a AVR Receiver right away for a possible 3.1 in the future? I'm asking this because I see a lot of people saying that they didn't lose to much going 2.1 instead of 3.1

Please, any suggestion are really welcome. Like other better alternatives...

And YES, the prices here in Australia are really shi...

Sorry for my English.

Last edited:

Penelinfi

How is the emotiva almost $2k?
A pair should be ~$600 USD
There's also a new model XB2 as the B2+ is discontinued

For $2k you could look at Ascend Sierra or Philharmonic BMR . Even Wharfedale Linton or Evo, monitor audio etc.

It's possible there may be Australian speaker companies like Adelaide "Ascension" speakers et al but they won't have as much discussion.

Check on Gumtree or Facebook marketplace in your local area

rsc1

The WiiM Amp is a great little device to start your audio journey (I have one), I'd definitely recommend it. TBH any of the above speakers will be a massive upgrade over the built-in TV speakers you're using now. You have to figure out what sound signature you prefer. Go to Crutchfield website, select your headphones and compare the speakers using their Speaker Compare thing (only one they don't have is 3030i).

My personal preference would be Diamond 12.2, or if you could stretch the budget a bit, go for the DBR62 - fantastic sounding and measuring speaker that most likely you'll never feel the need to replace.

OP
R

rikawa

The WiiM Amp is a great little device to start your audio journey (I have one), I'd definitely recommend it. TBH any of the above speakers will be a massive upgrade over the built-in TV speakers you're using now. You have to figure out what sound signature you prefer. Go to Crutchfield website, select your headphones and compare the speakers using their Speaker Compare thing (only one they don't have is 3030i).

My personal preference would be Diamond 12.2, or if you could stretch the budget a bit, go for the DBR62 - fantastic sounding and measuring speaker that most likely you'll never feel the need to replace.
Didn't know about this Crutchfield Tool, very cool! I'll give a try. Thank you!

rsc1

Didn't know about this Crutchfield Tool, very cool! I'll give a try. Thank you!
Let us know about your findings :)

Also if you’re not set on passive speakers - see if you can find some JBL 308P MKiis. They’re cheaper than most of the ones on your list (at least in the US) and measure better, plus no need for an amp. They’re almost unbeatable for the price. Pair them with a WiiM Mini or Pro. After auditioning lots of bookshelves, I always end up going back to mine.

OP
R

rikawa

Let us know about your findings :)

Also if you’re not set on passive speakers - see if you can find some JBL 308P MKiis. They’re cheaper than most of the ones on your list (at least in the US) and measure better, plus no need for an amp. They’re almost unbeatable for the price. Pair them with a WiiM Mini or Pro. After auditioning lots of bookshelves, I always end up going back to mine.
Sorry, when you say, they measure better, you mean, better than the speakers that I've listed?

Didn't know about theses active JBL. They are cheaper than all of the speakers I've listed. Nice.

8bits

I would check out the JBL 308P (~ $395 per speaker). They hiss a bit when around a meter from them, but you get used to it, and the performance/price is unbeatable here in AUS in my opinion. That would free you from buying an amplifier and it would give you some features like bass/treble shelving.

rsc1

Sorry, when you say, they measure better, you mean, better than the speakers that I've listed?

Didn't know about theses active JBL. They are cheaper than all of the speakers I've listed. Nice.
Yes. The DBR62's and Revel's are close, but the JBL's are more neutral and extend even lower in the frequency range (8" vs 6.5" woofer). You might not even feel the need for a subwoofer. I had them connected directly to the headphone jack on my TV and they already sounded great. Since then, I've added a DAC (Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle, my TV does USB audio out) and the signal seems a bit cleaner. I couldn't be happier right now. Mine are paired with a SVS SB-1000 sub, but honestly, it's not absolutely necessary. Like 8bits said they're unbeatable value.

1712580495474.png

Top Bottom