• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

Klonatans

Forum Donor
I live in EU
The KH150 looks interesting, and they seem to go pretty low, could i do with the 150's without a sub you think?
I use my KH 150 without a sub in a nearfield listening position and the bass seems perfectly adeaquate for me, however I applied some low end boost according to my liking via EQ.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I only briefly heard the 705P and the KH120 II, but I would still pick the 705P without a doubt.

witwald

Forum Donor

With this track, there's a significant difference between sub being on and off.
This track's low-frequency response peak is at about 37 Hz. It also has a few more low-frequency peaks, located at 45 Hz, 50 Hz, 55 Hz, and 64 Hz. These add quite a bit of extra low-frequency energy.

With this track, there is a difference, but it's pretty subtle.
This track's low-frequency response peak is at about 41 Hz. The next peak is much lower in level and occurs at around 75 Hz.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
This track's low-frequency response peak is at about 37 Hz. It also has a few more low-frequency peaks, located at 45 Hz, 50 Hz, 55 Hz, and 64 Hz. These add quite a bit of extra low-frequency energy.

This track's low-frequency response peak is at about 41 Hz. The next peak is much lower in level and occurs at around 75 Hz.

I didn't actually look at the frequency analyser for those two. However, in my set-up, I can switch the sub in and out to compare with and without while a track is playing.

It should be noted that I have some room correction going on as well:

1714044671467.png

This will still be in place when I bypass the sub, which won't be correct. Ideally, I would need to re-measure and create a separate room correction profile for the speakers without the sub being active. This would likely increase the bass, without the sub, whereas the with-sub correction is cutting some peaks in the low end, which may not exist when just the speakers are playing.

Regardless of all that nonsense, sometimes I play a track that seems to have quite deep bass, but if I look at the analyser, there often isn't that much happening below around 40 - 50Hz:

1714045674562.png

Even less when you move away from electronic music, despite having a strong bass line:

1714046271922.png

The KH 150 looks to have a very capable mid/bass driver, so I imagine you could push it quite hard: https://musicandmiscellany.com/2023/01/03/secrets-of-the-neumann-kh150/

The point of all my ramblings is, that I already had a subwoofer, so I optimised my set-up with it in place. However, I imagine that you could better optimise the response without using one, either with EQ, or speaker placement, or a combination, and it may be that the differences are smaller, such that the sub wouldn't be missed. :)

OP
X

xxcholo

Okay, so far i have some interesting choices:

Neumann KH 120 II
Neumann KH 150
JBL 705

I recently came across these monitors: IK Multimedia iLoud Precision MTM (They are within price-range)

I don't know if i mentioned this but i'm looking for nearfield, they won't be far from me. I would like to do as much work alone as i can (Produce-Mix-Master) - Any opinions on the iLoud monitors?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Okay, so far i have some interesting choices:

Neumann KH 120 II
Neumann KH 150
JBL 705

I recently came across these monitors: IK Multimedia iLoud Precision MTM (They are within price-range)

I don't know if i mentioned this but i'm looking for nearfield, they won't be far from me. I would like to do as much work alone as i can (Produce-Mix-Master) - Any opinions on the iLoud monitors?
I'd stick with Neumann , Genelec and JBL

Waxx

Major Contributor
This JBL Is no match for the Neumanns if you ask me. The top of the line (43xx series) is, but not the 70x series. The KH150 is the best in your budget

The IK Iloud MTM is not at all on that level, it has way more distortion and little bass. It was tested a while ago (i guess on SoundonSound, but don't find the link back) and it's not that good. You also got the MTM issues (midrange dip, very small sweetspot).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It was tested a while ago (i guess on SoundonSound, but don't find the link back)

This one: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik-multimedia-iloud-precision-mtm

They seem to come out quite well, with some concerns about the D’Appolito configuration and the need to have them correctly positioned, but that goes for all monitors really. Also the ARC room correction included with them is similar to the ARC Studio set-up I'm using and I'm pleased with the results I got with it.

There's also a Precision 6 that might be worth considering: https://musictech.com/reviews/studio-recording-gear/ik-multimedia-iloud-precision-6-review/

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The KH 150 is as perfect as it gets for what it is supposed to be and it seems to fit the use case and budget provided in this thread.

Just buy them and be done with it.

Redwine

If you are okay with gently used and are willing to wait,
Consider looking at the Neumann kh 310

If you are patient you can sometimes find a pair in great condition for under $3,000.

Example:

They measure extraordinary well:

And for music and movies I have very much enjoyed them. I would like to add subwoofers in my case only because I am using them in a large open room.
Can someone explain to me:

this proff speakers and others are named “nearfield speakers. Does it mean, they are not considered optimal for private use in eg. a living room, where you might be having your listening position 2–4 meters away from speakers?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Can someone explain to me:

this proff speakers and others are named “nearfield speakers. Does it mean, they are not considered optimal for private use in eg. a living room, where you might be having your listening position 2–4 meters away from speakers?

You can use them at greater distances, but the further away you are, the more power you'll need for same volume at the listening position. Smaller active monitors may be limited, by the power of the internal amplifier, physics, or by the electronics, in order to protect them from damage. Which is why they make larger midfield monitors capable of higher SPL:

1714057910825.png

Top Bottom