• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2000-3000$ Budget for new studio monitors

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH 150 and stretch the budget if necessary. Room EQ for modes and you should be fine.
If you are in the EU, then KH-150, is a no-brainer, add sub later.

As for subwoofers... Neuman has a very good Room EQ solution, the MA_1, it works only ( IIRC) with Neuman speakers and subwoofers... OTOH, For the price Neumann subwoofers, you could get a pair of objectively better non-Neuman, subwoofers; but you would be left to EQ/integrate "manually", using REW and a Umik-1, for example..
It is up for you to decide . I suppose that one can get results that at least as good or IMHO better, with REW and UMik-1, and a pair of good Arendal or quivalent sub Euros non-Neuman subwoofers...
Another debate :)

For what it's worth, I cannot fathom listening to music without subwoofers ...

Peace.

Dave54321

If you are okay with gently used and are willing to wait,
Consider looking at the Neumann kh 310

If you are patient you can sometimes find a pair in great condition for under $3,000.

Example:

They measure extraordinary well:

And for music and movies I have very much enjoyed them. I would like to add subwoofers in my case only because I am using them in a large open room.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Neumann KH 120 II (Dark?)
They're not fun sounding, at all, but they are reliably "correct". Not tons of headroom but probably plenty for nearfield.
I'd skip these. Never heard any Dyns I've been impressed by, and the measurements are nothing amazing either.
No. Not good. Super bright, but also muddled and blurry.

A bit more fun sounding than the Neumanns but still generally "correct". Not bad, not my first choice personally.
Barefoot Footprint 03 (self-noise levels?)
Too new to have any experience, but the high noise levels are not encouraging to me. My experience with Barefoots (MM27 gen1 and gen2, FP01) is that they are generally pretty poor. Not a great track record of reliability either.
PMC Result 6 (excited highs?)
The only PMCs I've liked are the most recent DSP actives (the PMC 6 would be the comparably sized one). Everything else just kind of sucks for various reasons, not the least of which is the insanely overbright top end.

I'd consider the JBL 705 on top of everything else too.

OP
X

xxcholo

Thank you for the input guys

Alot of people are Recommending Neumann 150 which i'm now seriously concidering

But also alot have recommended JBL 705, but without a sub will these really suffice?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Thank you for the input guys

Alot of people are Recommending Neumann 150 which i'm now seriously concidering

But also alot have recommended JBL 705, but without a sub will these really suffice?
Their -3dB point on the low end (free field) is about 42hz, if you back them up to a wall - which you should - you'll probably get down into the upper 30s in room.

If you need more low end you'll need something bigger. But to be honest, most people aren't listening on anything that can reproduce below 40hz anyway.

OP
X

xxcholo

Their -3dB point on the low end (free field) is about 42hz, if you back them up to a wall - which you should - you'll probably get down into the upper 30s in room.

If you need more low end you'll need something bigger. But to be honest, most people aren't listening on anything that can reproduce below 40hz anyway.
Nope that's enough for me.

Damn, this morning i was kinda set on Neumann's
But now i'm leaning more towards JBL

I'm the kind of person that if everyone wants A, i want B lol

Nah but seriously, they seem amazing. It's hard to find reviews on them though, didnt find anything on youtube (I'm currently reading the reviews on this site)

melomane13

ADAM Audio A8H 2x 1.529 €​

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nope that's enough for me.

Damn, this morning i was kinda set on Neumann's
But now i'm leaning more towards JBL

I'm the kind of person that if everyone wants A, i want B lol

Nah but seriously, they seem amazing. It's hard to find reviews on them though, didnt find anything on youtube (I'm currently reading the reviews on this site)
There's a review of these JBL https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/jbl-705p-studio-monitor-review.11944/
KH150 are measuring better in every possible way https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh-150-monitor-review.39922/
Nothing wrong in preferring the looks though

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They werent, but they are a strong contender now
The larger ones are a bit over your price range, but can play loud and will sound good without subwoofers.

mjgraves

Yup. They're killer. Get really low and loud for the size & price. Built-in parametric EQ and 500 W of power per-speaker mean very tunable.

I was able to get a pair of 705Ps refurbed for $1200. Now I'm looking around for a deal on used 708Ps.

The refurb market seems to have gone away after a revision to the electronics.

Last edited:

Jaxjax

I would definitely be looking at Dynaudio Core 7 open box can be had at 3k. .as you get Pascal @ 500/150. Sweetwater has JBL 705 & 708 on promo 48m 0% intrest right now. SW also has the Core series ... also Dynaudio builds there own drivers in house, most don't..

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe, the 705 offer the best bang for the buck, the Neuman the best performance....

I dunno. The magic trick Neumann seems to have pulled off with KH 120 II is 705i/P like output with essentially perfect response smoothness. Also I hate to say it but fit/finish and unit-unit consistency favor Neumann too.

That said, 70xi/P does have a slightly wider pattern. I’ve been a cheerleader for 7-series since they came out and 708i is likely our endgame for immersive they are so good. But one also must give Neumann their due for stepping into JBL’s lane without compromising their core virtues. And in a more compact package (compare depth - 705P is comically deep, KH 120 II has more pleasing proportions.

lowkeyoperations

If you want to try out something not on your list that is great for translation, try Amphion One15s or One18s.

I went from Neumann KH120S to Amphion One15s and found them easier to work on (could hear more clearly adjustments to eq and especially compression) and better translation.

Whatever you get, keep a portion of the budget aside for Dirac Live if you don’t buy monitors with their own room correction software.

Waxx

Major Contributor
The JBL may be nice, but the Neumanns are better, Especially the KH150's would be what i choose in your case. They may not go as loud as the JBL, but i don't think that is really relevant for your use (nearfield). And with MA-1 there is no real advantage to get the JBL's, only disadvantages. The response is slightly less flat and neutral, and the dispertion is wider, but less consistant (i'm nitpicking) than the Neumanns. JBL also tend to use cheap class D amps in many of their (relative) cheaper designs that often his, while Neumann active monitors never his, they are dead silent.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom