• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2021 Monaco Grand Prix

Midwest Blade

Well qualifying ended with a crash this morning and I predict will start with a crash. I predict a first corner incident with Charles and Max which will take each other out of the race. 1st Valteri, 2nd Lando and 3rd Lewis.

Monaco has all the history, glamor and hoopla any fan of F1 could hope for with a usually unexciting follow the leader race. With the current car size this race is becoming a relic, unfortunately.

Regardless will watch with my breakfast as always.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For a couple years I mostly watched qualifying. Race results only rarely differed by much, and there was something more like real racing in qualifying. Finally I woke up and quit watching F1 at all. IMO, they should go to self driving cars and make it all about the constructors the way they want it. I'm amazed by the technology and the performance of the cars. The racing for a spectator is about the worst I can think of.

My favorite racing is MotoGP though they are trying hard to make it the 2 wheeled version of F1, they've not succeeded yet.

fredoamigo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The rain should come or at least I hope so for the show.

faheem

Forum Donor
Senna's monster Monaco lap is the pinnacle, followed by Hamilton vs Alonso 2007. Hamilton sliding around , trying to get Alonso was amazing.

Apart from that Monaco is boring.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since Hamilton's seventh on the grid, my money is on Verstappen with LeClerc wiping out on the first turn of the first lap. Sorrryyy Ferrarri!

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No chance of rain on the forecast, so probably a typical boring Monaco race, maybe made more interesting by Lewis trying to recover some places, but best to keep expectations low.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
My favorite racing is MotoGP though they are trying hard to make it the 2 wheeled version of F1, they've not succeeded yet.

I watch F1 casually, but I've gotta go with top fuel dragsters as my favorite racing.

About as different from F1 as can be, but watching 10k+ horsepower work to hook up through those massive tires is a different kind of awesome.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I watch F1 casually, but I've gotta go with top fuel dragsters as my favorite racing.

About as different from F1 as can be, but watching 10k+ horsepower work to hook up through those massive tires is a different kind of awesome.
It is awesome. Was at a drag strip a few years ago. The big draw was a couple jet engine dragsters. I sat at the finish line to see how fast they were going at the fastest. Pretty impressive. They had to clear out lots behind them because of the hot jet exhaust. But then came the top fuel dragsters which were even faster and quicker.

Still, they don't compare to the aliens that ride MotoGp bikes. 210 mph+ top speeds, 60 degree+ lean angles just an incredible thing to do. Backing the rear around smoking the rear tire at 140 mph in a turn. They work their arms so much "arm pump" is a thing. One which sometimes requires surgery. They run heart rates that almost should not be possible for 45 minutes. And the racing among these aliens is awesome and then some.

Taddpole

Well qualifying ended with a crash this morning and I predict will start with a crash. I predict a first corner incident with Charles and Max which will take each other out of the race. 1st Valteri, 2nd Lando and 3rd Lewis.

Monaco has all the history, glamor and hoopla any fan of F1 could hope for with a usually unexciting follow the leader race. With the current car size this race is becoming a relic, unfortunately.

Regardless will watch with my breakfast as always.
Well that crash won't happen now

OP
M

Midwest Blade

On lap 50 and basically no competitive on track passes...basically comes down to the race being over at final qualifying on Saturday.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incredibly boring race. I watched it with the commentary turned off, a wonderful feature in the F1 TV app that I had not used before.

I'm impressed that they persuaded Serena Williams to be there.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
I loved the race! On tracks where overtaking is so difficult and DRS plays such a small role, other factors come into play: tyre degradation progression (see Sainz in the last stint, how he almost caught Verstappen and then dropped off massively), strategies (at least two big overcuts today, how Red Bull got everything right and Mercedes got everything wrong, Aston Martin was perfect too), Vettel’s fantastic drive (his experience and skills finally showed), Ricciardo’s continued struggles (incredible in the context of how well he did here in the past), how the rookies fared (Schumacher struggled and Mazepin seemingly didn’t - quite surprising and perhaps telling of their raw skill and mental fortitude) and there’s always the unexpected - Leclerc’s and Bottas ‘s issues certainly added to the story and made for a memorable race weekend.

Monaco is difficult to appreciate for sure, but it’s definitely not boring.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I loved the race! On tracks where overtaking is so difficult and DRS plays such a small role, other factors come into play: tyre degradation progression (see Sainz in the last stint, how he almost caught Verstappen and then dropped off massively), strategies (at least two big overcuts today, how Red Bull got everything right and Mercedes got everything wrong, Aston Martin was perfect too), Vettel’s fantastic drive (his experience and skills finally showed), Ricciardo’s continued struggles (incredible in the context of how well he did here in the past), how the rookies fared (Schumacher struggled and Mazepin seemingly didn’t - quite surprising and perhaps telling of their raw skill and mental fortitude) and there’s always the unexpected - Leclerc’s and Bottas ‘s issues certainly added to the story and made for a memorable race weekend.

Monaco is difficult to appreciate for sure, but it’s definitely not boring.
And it would be a lot more fun if you were there in person, maybe on a superyacht watching it from the harbor.

Taddpole

Felt sorry for Bottas. But race is pretty tedious with cars so vast

simbloke

Forum Donor
I liked Moto GP, and they have amazing skill, but in recent years have found it hard to watch. Too many times the riders, barely adults, getting injured. I was watching when Marco Simoncelli died and I really don't want to see it again.

Top Bottom