• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AC power supply on Amazon (EU)

aristofane

I need to substitute the PSU for my Magni Heresy (15V AC 1.5 A) but on Amazon et similia i can't find a single one that outputs AC, from the Schiit site I can buy it but is like 16 euros for the product and 40 for the worst shipping method.

Is needing an AC psu this niche?

Any suggestion on what to put as key words in the Amazon research or another site where I can search, sorry for the off-topic but I don't know were else to ask

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you search Google for
15V AC 1.5 A -dc
Putting the -dc will really cut down irrelevant results. I see a bunch. It'll probably get you a more local shipper in Google shopping for your location.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's probably just a transformer. They are not as common as 15V DC SMPS but I do find matches when I search google. BTW, the Topping L50 also comes with a 15V AC PSU i.e. a 15V transformer in a plug pack.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Is needing an AC psu this niche?
Not just niche, but possibly not even legal any more - they generally fail the standby power requirements in the current EU ecodesign guideline by a substantial margin. My Atom Amp+ mains AC supply draws almost 3 W all by itself doing absolutely nothing.

Apparently high efficiency transformer design is a thing (if a bit of a black art) but generally diametrally opposed to how mains power supplies tend to be procured. A bit of core saturation at nominal voltage is often accepted as a means to reduce the number of primary turns alongside resistance and hence increase VA capability. Magnetizing current also seems to be increasingly an issue in very small transformers.

kchap

Forum Donor
Not just niche, but possibly not even legal any more - they generally fail the standby power requirements in the current EU ecodesign guideline by a substantial margin. My Atom Amp+ mains AC supply draws almost 3 W all by itself doing absolutely nothing.
Good point. It was something I had not thought.

gino1961

better to look on ebay for a AC voltage transformer and buy something good grade R-core type
I bought one for my Topping L30 very nice for not big money but EI type

Top Bottom