• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

actual hearing range vs speaker/s amplifier/s and microphones , we may only hear to 8KHz the rest above it needs careful tuning/EQ to hearing it ?

Andysu

Major Contributor
i do my own study on this as i have no doubt there are dozens of white papers to text/tying it in forums to lots of videos

i can see with these visual illustrations the evolution of hearing range

champ_auditif_en2.jpg

the excessive loudness of the sound and frequency range if not done carefully for our , um , ego ? lol most like bragging about high SPL of 150dB home theatres in basements , no thanks i don't need to add any extra more tinnitus
jauge_simpl_en.png

sine wave tone testing be i use the stormaudio elite 32 own sound generator or REW own sound generator
a microphone is going to pick up on the frequency almost flat or better than we can actually hear above 8KHz

measuring electronically direct of amplifier either shows it flat to 20Khz or higher depending on computers frequency adjustments to 50Khz , no point trying that unless i intended change the speakers to entertain my cats with sine waves as musical instrument ts don't play that high up in the range

so i have to , we have to focus on 20KHz that's the limit for us

frequency response of , ( three way speakers , mid range tweeter ) , ( two way bass mid and tweeter ) two way PA speaker , ( bass cab , CD compression driver horn )
often HF frequencies are so uneven when mic placed close to speakers lots of uneven wiggles up/down what a mess ! all that needs be EQ adjusted with how many PEQ band filters a lot ! so most cases there are trade-offs using PEQ with fewer bands and using Q bandwidth to cut corners and lot of hours of adjustments until all typical LCR speakers appear evenly frequency balanced with the amount of power supplied by the amplifier of course

okay with the above and how it appears on the REW frequency sweep graph overlays , is it finished ? maybe not ? how much of the upper portions above 8KHz can we each hear with sine wave tones ? my limit is about 16KHz , i need check with REW a bit more thoroughly , like 16,000KHz which numbers between and it's not going to stay the same , it will change or alter slightly

there are a lot of movies that use some effective high frequencies , sure same with some types of music if looking at the RTA you can see this , but can ( i or you ) hear it ?

EQ tuning amp to speaker can be tricky , one certainly don't want the amplifier to clip on the higher frequencies that will need a certain frequency curve , this one is so mentioned , fletcher munson curve
Fletcher-Munson-Curve-Explained-Using-Equal-Loudness-Contour-to-Mix-1.png

i'll use the microphones with 1/3 octave outboard EQ and get near close frequency sweep of speaker and then use the EQ filters to readjust the frequency , ( trial and error of course )

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
live video random ranting and audio chit chatter

Top Bottom