• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

After Neumann KH 310A Review: What to buy?

detlev24

Anyway, regardless of what is inside (check Genelec's), the sound is great, so thanking the maker for helping my search come to a halt.
And this shows once again what really matters in an audio chain. SINAD ± etc. is all great - and reasonably important - but in the end it all depends on mechanical [drivers'] movements/interactions and room acoustics.

You made a great choice!

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
And this shows once again what really matters in an audio chain. SINAD ± etc. is all great - and reasonably important - but in the end it all depends on mechanical [drivers'] movements and room acoustics.

You made a great choice!

Thank you...
Just keeping an eye on Neumann's product line, since my faulty pair of Mythos ST (right hand speaker active subwoofer failed) are still giving me lots of great sound.
Compared to those pictures before, my setting is almost invisible.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Yeah, this being ASR the answer you'll get is going to be the latter. You don't 'need' a Benchmark, BTW. Even the DACs from Neumann's 'D' line of monitors aren't that special.
You're might be right, I heard the Grahams (again) a week ago on a Denon AVC-A110. And they sounded great, however the volume was at 0dB, when listening and that wasn't loud loud.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Anyway, regardless of what is inside (check Genelec's), the sound is great, so thanking the maker for helping my search come to a halt.
I know the feel. I also considered the Genelecs (can't remember the model) but had forgotten them again ... thanks ;-)

UPDATE: Just found them ... Genelec 8341A ... But the price is on the high side.

Last edited:

Pjetrof

I understand. :D

The remaining main differences would be that the M1 has the electronics outsourced, which might be beneficial in some installations and depending on your room acoustics, the cardioid radiation pattern [via selectable mode] above ~250 Hz might come in handy, as well; especially for close-to-rear-wall placements.

Furthermore, the M1 has a HF compression driver which performs exceptionally good - as expected (see distortion measurements here and here).

The rest is pretty comparable to the KH 310_s, including the closed cabinet design philosophy. But yes, the KH 310 would save some bucks. Anyways, both are great choices - and really not comparable to the LS5/9_s... ;)

Did you hear both speakers?
How different are they from each other?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I know the feel. I also considered the Genelecs (can't remember the model) but had forgotten them again ... thanks ;-)

UPDATE: Just found them ... Genelec 8341A ... But the price is on the high side.
Yeah Its a bit more expensive
But newer tech than the KH310, also I prefer the aluminum enclosure, and obviously it's coaxial and the KH310 isn't.

detlev24

Did you hear both speakers?
How different are they from each other?
I didn't have a chance to audition the M1 so far, as it has been released just recently and the COVID-19 pandemic makes things more difficult, unfortunately.

My assessment is purely based on the comparable 'Klippel NFS' data and some personal experience. However, there is a comparison to Kii THREE and D&D 8c here.

In any case, direct comparison would only be possible, if both loudspeaker models were set-up next to each other [L1-L2 and R1-R2], as otherwise differences would certainly manifest due to different room[-s] acoustics.

It would most probably not be possible to distinguish the loudspeakers from one another easily in a double-blind test scenario, as overall performance is too similar - incl. bass extension [the M1 is available with different amplifier ratings, though].

As I previously noted, the [selectable] cardioid mode on the M1 might provide the biggest audible differences, possibly advantages, in some rooms.

Last edited:

Pjetrof

I didn't have a chance to audition the M1 so far, as it has been released just recently and the COVID-19 pandemic makes things more difficult, unfortunately.

My assessment is purely based on the comparable 'Klippel NFS' data and some personal experience. However, there is a comparison to Kii THREE and D&D 8c here.

In any case, direct comparison would only be possible, if both loudspeaker models were set-up next to each other [L1-L2 and R1-R2], as otherwise differences would certainly manifest due to different room[-s] acoustics.

It would most probably not be possible to distinguish the loudspeakers from one another easily in a double-blind test scenario, as overall performance is too similar - incl. bass extension [the M1 is available with different amplifier ratings, though].

As I previously noted, the [selectable] cardioid mode on the M1 might provide the biggest audible differences, possibly advantages, in some rooms.

thx for the answer.
But i meant neumann compared to the ls5/9
reason i ask i have harbeth and like that sound but i am also thinking to go active.
which speaker would have similar nice midrange sound as the harbeth
neumann genelec dutch kii?
i do not like bright sound like focal.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
thx for the answer.
But i meant neumann compared to the ls5/9
reason i ask i have harbeth and like that sound but i am also thinking to go active.
which speaker would have similar nice midrange sound as the harbeth
neumann genelec dutch kii?
i do not like bright sound like focal.
Genelec is much brighter than Neumann in my experience, but it's a different kind of bright than Focal's Beryllium.

detlev24

Ive heard great things about Grimm. Do you remember where you saw those measurements?
They are great loudspeakers, without any doubt!

It was not a "fault" but an intentional design achievement, I think... a long time has passed... I guess it was some 2010 measurements with reference to their in-room response. Obviously, enhanced models have been released in the meantime.

I could find one hint in their manual, though - chapter "Positioning", pages 10 and 11:

"The LS1 cabinet is wider than usual, so the effect of turning the loudspeaker around its
vertical axis is larger than you would expect. The off-axis response on the front side of
the LS1 is extremely even (the LS1 sounds just as good slightly off-axis as on-axis), but
it becomes gradually softer when the angle is larger. We can use this to our advantage. In
the classic arrangement the loudspeakers face the listener. The angle of the loudspeakers
relative to the wall behind them is 30 degrees. The superb off-axis performance of the LS1
offers an alternative setup where both loudspeakers are turned slightly further inward, or
’toe in‘. We advice an angle to the wall of 45 degrees. The listener then sits at 15 degrees

off-axis of the loudspeakers. This ’toe in‘ setup has two advantages:

[...]

In about 20% of the rooms, the classic setup where the LS1's face the listener still sounds
better. This is usually the case in fairly large rooms or in rooms with acoustics where
left and right reflections are very well balanced. Please accept this as an invitation to
experiment and listen in your own environment.
"

[...] which speaker would have similar nice midrange sound as the harbeth [...]
Harbeth loudspeakers are a different case, as their relatively thin enclosures manifest resonances. Furthermore, the "nice" midrange you are referring to might be due to a loss of energy, which will not be the case in high-quality studio monitors (and alike). See the linked measurements of the model 30.2 and model 30.

You most probably would require some "burn-in" time for your ears/brain, to get used to the sound of accurate loudspeakers. ;)

Genelec is much brighter than Neumann in my experience, but it's a different kind of bright than Focal's Beryllium.
Is >brightness< not an increased SPL in the (especially) HF region? How can two loudspeakers that anechoically measure flat, Genelec and Neumann, sound differently in terms of brightness? If so, it would be due to reflections which are a room's phenomenon - and not the loudspeakers' fault.

You might have listened to Genelec's GLM "house target curve", which gives a flat in-room response and this certainly would sound too bright. Again, that's not the loudspeakers' fault but an at least questionable application of room EQ. A proper in-room target frequency response curve is what HARMAN refers to as down-sloping towards the HF region.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A proper in-room target frequency response curve is what HARMAN refers to as downsloping towards the HF region.
I think proper is too strong a word, if you don't mind me saying so.
There are various opinions about how natural different in room frequency responses sound and whilst the Harman one has quite a bit of evidence behind it and a lot of disciples on this forum to refer to it as "proper" is going much too far when it is only one preference.
Some people like more or less slope than this and, presumably Genelec have clients who prefer different targets. They certainly encourage their clients to experiment with different solutions using SAM.

detlev24

Fair enough, @Frank Dernie! But this is also the reason why I did not mention any slope; even HARMAN uses different slopes in their products - compare Dirac Live and their "classical" JBL Synthesis target curve(s), for example.

A down-slope is required, though. :)

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm late!
Here is a comparison of the 0° and 30° frequency responses of the LS5/9 and the KH310.
The FR of the LS5/9 are made by Stereoplay (4-2015, measurements are strongly smoothed) and those of the KH310 are the ASR measurements, once without smoothing and below with 1/3oct smoothing, which is a bit fairer.
1607098429794.png

What is immediately noticeable is the very early sloping high frequency range of the LS5/9. I don't know how old @ichonderoga is, but a high frequency range sloping down from 9kHz should still be perceivable by older listeners, at least in comparison (compared to a loudspeaker which, for example, decreases from 15kHz).

Actually, the Audax 35mm dome tweeter reaches 20kHz relatively easily - so the stereoplay measurement of the LS5/9 is a mystery or deliberate crossover tuning by GrahamAudio.
Source: audax-speaker.de
1607101314243.png

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
I'm late!
Here is a comparison of the 0° and 30° frequency responses of the LS5/9 and the KH310.
The FR of the LS5/9 are made by Stereoplay (4-2015, measurements are strongly smoothed) and those of the KH310 are the ASR measurements, once without smoothing and below with 1/3oct smoothing, which is a bit fairer.
View attachment 97229
What is immediately noticeable is the very early sloping high frequency range of the LS5/9. I don't know how old @ichonderoga is, but a high frequency range sloping down from 9kHz should still be perceivable by older listeners, at least in comparison.

Actually, the Audax 35mm dome tweeter reaches 20kHz relatively easily - so the stereoplay measurement of the LS5/9 is a mystery or deliberate crossover tuning by GrahamAudio.
Source: audax-speaker.de
View attachment 97235
Just wow! Even after 1½ yrs on this site it still amazes the amount of knowledge and goodwill that can be summoned. @ctrl you're not late, you're just in time :)

The old saying still holds true "a picture is worth a thousand words".

ps. I'm at my prime (42 summers) ;-)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
ohh... I just saw that GrahmAudio had added a grille to the dome tweeter (or was that the case with the original?), which of course explains the early high frequency roll-off compared to the available dome tweeter.

1607101931041.png
1607101943697.png

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They are great loudspeakers, without any doubt!

It was not a "fault" but an intentional design achievement, I think... a long time has passed... I guess it was some 2010 measurements with reference to their in-room response. Obviously, enhanced models have been released in the meantime.

I could find one hint in their manual, though - chapter "Positioning", pages 10 and 11:

"The LS1 cabinet is wider than usual, so the effect of turning the loudspeaker around its
vertical axis is larger than you would expect. The off-axis response on the front side of
the LS1 is extremely even (the LS1 sounds just as good slightly off-axis as on-axis), but
it becomes gradually softer when the angle is larger. We can use this to our advantage. In
the classic arrangement the loudspeakers face the listener. The angle of the loudspeakers
relative to the wall behind them is 30 degrees. The superb off-axis performance of the LS1
offers an alternative setup where both loudspeakers are turned slightly further inward, or
’toe in‘. We advice an angle to the wall of 45 degrees. The listener then sits at 15 degrees

off-axis of the loudspeakers. This ’toe in‘ setup has two advantages:

[...]

In about 20% of the rooms, the classic setup where the LS1's face the listener still sounds
better. This is usually the case in fairly large rooms or in rooms with acoustics where
left and right reflections are very well balanced. Please accept this as an invitation to
experiment and listen in your own environment.
"

Harbeth loudspeakers are a different case, as their relatively thin enclosures manifest resonances. Furthermore, the "nice" midrange you are referring to might be due to a loss of energy, which will not be the case in high-quality studio monitors (and alike). See the linked measurements of the model 30.2 and model 30.

You most probably would require some "burn-in" time for your ears/brain, to get used to the sound of accurate loudspeakers. ;)

Is >brightness< not an increased SPL in the (especially) HF region? How can two loudspeakers that anechoically measure flat, Genelec and Neumann, sound differently in terms of brightness? If so, it would be due to reflections which are a room's phenomenon - and not the loudspeakers' fault.

You might have listened to Genelec's GLM "house target curve", which gives a flat in-room response and this certainly would sound too bright. Again, that's not the loudspeakers' fault but an at least questionable application of room EQ. A proper in-room target frequency response curve is what HARMAN refers to as down-sloping towards the HF region.
While I agree, no one in the world will convince me that Neumann and Genelec tweeters sound the same even if they'll measure the same.
Yes there's something beyond measurements in audio, everybody hears differently, I also believe tweeter materiel impacts the sound, even though I've been told it's BS.
My ears don't lie, I owned the KH120, and listened to Focal, Genelec, Adam etc... Every brand has it's own "house sound"
Neumann tweeters sound darker to me than Genelec tweeters, I have no scientific proof but this is how I experienced it.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
so the stereoplay measurement of the LS5/9 is a mystery
Unfortunately the Stereoplay/Audio frequency response measurements don't seem to correspond well to verified ones like from ASR, see as a recent example the JBL HDI 3600 measurements from ASR and from Stereoplay (unfortunately no free download).

Top Bottom