• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All Aboard the FiiO K9 Pro Hype Train

LittleEgg

You can stamp your feet and yell from the top of the tallest building "I CAN HEAR A DIFFERENCE". I simply don't believe you can.
Fair enough....i feel you put too little into what people actually hear when such an obvious example is provided. I like frequency graphs and thats why i created an account here. Most well measuring items match and sound expectedly good to my ears. The same goes for bad measuring stuff. I also find deciding on good kit is more reliable when looking at graphs and measurements. But there are differences the science doesn't articulate and this topping/fiio example is beyond question for me, unless my ears suddenly and drastically change in that one song segment when i swap them over. Of course i challenge you to A>B youself....you can't i realise, but i feel you wouldn't either way as you seem exceedingly entrenched in your thinking.

Enough said.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair enough....i feel you put too little into what people actually hear when such an obvious example is provided. I like frequency graphs and thats why i created an account here. Most well measuring items match and sound expectedly good to my ears. The same goes for bad measuring stuff. I also find deciding on good kit is more reliable when looking at graphs and measurements. But there are differences the science doesn't articulate and this topping/fiio example is beyond question for me, unless my ears suddenly and drastically change in that one song segment when i swap them over. Of course i challenge you to A>B youself....you can't i realise, but i feel you wouldn't either way as you seem exceedingly entrenched in your thinking.

Enough said.
Listen. I believe you think you can hear the difference. There is no magic, science says you can't. Plus you have sighted and purchase bias. Now perhaps do you have the filters set differently that could possibly explain this audio phenomena.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping DX5 which was £100 less than what i paid for my K9 pro
Did the K9 die before you bought the Topping? I'm also wondering about the costs. A K9 in Canada is 1219 where the Topping is 499. £100 doesn't seem possible but maybe.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
There are OBVIOUS and CLEAR differences between the K9 pro and Topping DX5. I even named the track and the detail...if anyone has these two dac/amps feel free to do the comparison. I fully stand by my comment.

I literally A>B them over and over and the song is so familiar to me having listened to it thousands of times.
You said the K9 died, you replaced it with the DX5 and didn't fix the K9. How did you AB them if the K9 was dead?

PcChip

Enough said.
give up, haven't you realized yet that this forum is a cult?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
give up, haven't you realized yet that this forum is a cult?
Soon we will be wanting you to go to the bathroom a certain way, provide your women and such for our purposes and give us a percentage of your income while we bask in luxury and do despicable things. :D The cult's way.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Lupin

Enough said.
Numerous research papers and tests have proven that the brain is not a reliable tool.... search and read some about psycho-acoustics.
You claiming to be above all that is just foolish.

aSDASDASDASDASD

Is FiiO DEAD? My K9 Pro arrives broken and have still not received ANY support reply from [email protected]... for over 7 days.

And I bought a Hifiman Arya which I still haven't been able to use.

Is their support known to be non-existent or is it just me?

aSDASDASDASDASD

The fault indicator on the K9 is either a solid or flashing red ring around the voume wheel. Try a different kettle plug perhaps if the fuse is DOA?
Tried a newly bought cable and it didn't fix it. Also Fiio still hasn't replied to any of my emails.

Hxx

Attachments

• fiio.PNG
    fiio.PNG
    430.6 KB · Views: 143

redjr

To add to what Hxx said, the only difference worth noting is the build quality. Not that the Dx7 Pro is not up to par, but the K9 Pro is the perfect example of how a piece of kit should be built and look. It's not only beautiful, but industrial looking and rugged which is what a buyer should expect. Especially at $850! I have the AK4499 version of this DAC and it really shines in every way. The current ESS version follows the same form factor of the earlier AK4499, so I would expect the build quality to be equally as good. You can't go wrong with either because the audio sonics will be unnoticeable. At this level of sound quality it's all about dragging rights of the specs.

Lupin

To add to what Hxx said, the only difference worth noting is the build quality. Not that the Dx7 Pro is not up to par, but the K9 Pro is the perfect example of how a piece of kit should be built and look. It's not only beautiful, but industrial looking and rugged which is what a buyer should expect. Especially at $850! I have the AK4499 version of this DAC and it really shines in every way. The current ESS version follows the same form factor of the earlier AK4499, so I would expect the build quality to be equally as good. You can't go wrong with either because the audio sonics will be unnoticeable. At this level of sound quality it's all about dragging rights of the specs.
A plastic sheet inside for structural integrity of the unit.. not my idea of how a piece of kit should be built. Especially when they tag a €850 price card on it.

How it should look.. aesthetics are completely personal of course. I persoanlly don't care at all for the looks of the K9 Pro. In fact even if the K9 Pro was reasonably priced I would still not get it as I think other units for other brands look better and offer more functionality with their aesthetics.

I'm happy that you are very happy with your unit and that is the most important thing in the end. At the same time I can't help to have the feeling that your opinion is biased by the fact you own the unit as I don't see any of your points as valid points to pick the K9 pro over something else.

redjr

Any valid opinions - of either unit - might help a future buyer decide. I gave him my opinion of the kit. Of coursed it's biased! Too many people like to provide an opinion of products they don't own. I guess anyone can read the marketing material and look at the specs and come up with reasons to buy, or not. Personally, I prefer to hear from someone who owns the product - good or bad. Then, I can make an informed decision. BTW, I have owned and used numerous Topping products. Many are very nice and decent looking pieces of kit that perform very well. I was just impressed by what the K9 Pro offered and preferred its look. I'm also partial to the AKM sound, so when I heard FiiO was offering a limited quantity run for the first K9 Pro - using the the AK4499 chipset - I jumped on it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any valid opinions - of either unit - might help a future buyer decide. I gave him my opinion of the kit. Of coursed it's biased! Too many people like to provide an opinion of products they don't own. I guess anyone can read the marketing material and look at the specs and come up with reasons to buy, or not. Personally, I prefer to hear from someone who owns the product - good or bad. Then, I can make an informed decision. BTW, I have owned and used numerous Topping products. Many are very nice and decent looking pieces of kit that perform very well. I was just impressed by what the K9 Pro offered and preferred its look. I'm also partial to the AKM sound, so when I heard FiiO was offering a limited quantity run for the first K9 Pro - using the the AK4499 chipset - I jumped on it.
Not wishing to be a dick, but how do you square this from your posts?

"You can't go wrong with either (the AKM or ESS versions) because the audio sonics will be unnoticeable"

with

"I'm also partial to the AKM sound, so when I heard FiiO was offering a limited quantity run for the first K9 Pro - using the the AK4499 chipset - I jumped on it"

Top Bottom