• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp and sub matching

I am inquiring about the compatibility of my amplifier, which is rated for 2000 watts RMS at half ohms, with two Dual Voice Coil (DVC) 12-inch 2-ohm subs, each having a power handling capacity of 1200 RMS. I am seeking your expert advice to determine if this combination would be optimal or if it would be advisable to consider subs with a lower RMS rating, around 750 each, to achieve a better match.

Your guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Max power handling is one thing, your needs/use case perhaps another. What amp is it? What subs?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your sub will give 1 Ohm load in parallel. Your amp will possibly do about 1 kW into that load. RMS wise that should be okay.

Run some sims on the woofer and enclosure to see if that works for you.

OP
U
Max power handling is one thing, your needs/use case perhaps another. What amp is it? What subs?
MMats M200.05 amp and American Bass XR-12D2 12" 2 ohm. max 2400 watts and continuous is 1200 watts RMS

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
U
Your sub will give 1 Ohm load in parallel. Your amp will possibly do about 1 kW into that load. RMS wise that should be okay.

Run some sims on the woofer and enclosure to see if that works for you.
I thought it would be half ohm in parallel. two 2 ohms each inn parallel is 1 and then the two 1s are combined to half. At least that's what I understood, thanks

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought it would be half ohm in parallel. two 2 ohms each inn parallel is 1 and then the two 1s are combined to half. At least that's what I understood, thanks
Yes, if you have two subs, they would go down to half an ohm if all is in parallel.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And what size room?
I’m pretty sure the space involved is a car ;)

Make sure to use thick cabling. With such low impedances, the wire will be a significant factor. But personally I would not trust a sub without a full complement of TS parameters..

Top Bottom