• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

An open discussion about Photos, Pictures, GIFs, short Videos, ...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Today I had two comments regarding the B&W picture without words thread that I started about a week ago.
I have zero problem if people want to comment on pictures, photos, ...they can start threads about their photos, etc, and I will participate.
But I started that thread with the distinction of no words, it is simple as that.

Now, the origin of the photos, pictures, graphic designs, Gifs, short videos; we all have advanced browsers in the year 2018 that allow us to search and find and discover.
Or, we can include the link origin by clicking directly on the picture; but most people will have to learn first on how to do that; it is very simple, but I highly doubt that people would take the time to do it. I know from experience.

I participate/ed in several audio/video forums of the World Wide Web, and this is not unique of one or two forums; there are photos/picture threads in several of them and without any spoken word.

This is an open discussion, this is not private, this is democracy, respect, and advancement.
Share your thoughts and we'll discus them between us all, I'm all in.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the thread and discussion opportunity Bob. I understand the "artistic" intent of wanting a word-less thread with pictures. But I see more value in people adding a line of two, providing any personal perspective, insight, ownership (i.e. "this is my picture"), etc. I think that improves the thread, rather than detract.

Also, on forums the person who creates a thread owns the original post. But from there on, we tend to not want to strictly police people to only post certain way. Certainly in this forum we allow fair amount of freedom in topic drift.

Giving credit to where the picture came from is an interesting new twist I had not thought about. To the extent we pull the image out of a photographer's site, it makes sense to put a link back to them to provide traffic to their site (google ranks their site higher if we link to it from here).

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
See, my view is to disconnect from possession and material things. Let the mind free itself from the magic of pictures only.
Those threads are in other audio/video forums and people like them, and me too.

Amir you take beautiful shots; you deserve your own starting photos thread with all the words you want to share and all the members who want to participate and comment on your photos with words.
And me too I can start my own picture thread, and I can comment on them...year, month, place, mood, camera used, etc.
I probably will some day.

But there are two threads on photos that I started; one in color, etc., and the other strictly black and white. And both those threads are "silent" threads.
Sometimes we stumble on photos we like, we participate on some forums where they have photo threads without comments, without words.
Would you like some links?

If I wanted to start a photography thread from pictures all over the world, including our own, and open to discussions and information, and origin of each photo and picture, etc., I could do that too.

But those two threads are not that; they are without words, they are for people to do their own research, they are from another objective.

If the majority of people don't want them, just put an interdiction sign.
I've never seen a democratic majority of people objecting to those type of threads on other forums. To the contrary.

It's funny too because several audio forums post music album covers but without comments. Only few normally complain because there are no comments on the music, the year, the mastering, the origin, the speed, the label, the provenance, etc.
And yet those threads are the most popular in some audio circles. Beats me, but it's not like they are stereo magazines you subscribe to.

We can add the year it was recorded, the format it's in, which machine we use to spin, and what room we're in when we listen to it, plus the speakers used.

Or, we can only say that we like it because of the drummer and the singer's lips.

The law says that we can drive only if we have a driver's license. We can only post if we have a posting's licence. It's nice to obey the law. :)
I'm numorous now, only for simplicity of fun living.

Of course we can add a line or two with photos and pictures we post, it's permissible.
But what if we didn't?

Last edited:
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
When we post a photo from another photographer we give him/her free exposure.
It is amazing today the power of sharing and internet browsers.

It's the same with music videos, we promote the artists by giving them more publicity.
And from a fortunate twist of events we increase the traffic where they are posted.
The power of internet museums. It's like Twitter in the year 2018, you get more views, you reach a larger audience, a grander public awareness, a reach towards a grandioser sky, to a more infinite space.

* I planted an apple tree forty years ago; today that three is majestic. My family and friends took pictures, and they share that Apple tree on the Wide World Web. People don't know where it's coming from, who planted it, and how juicy those apples taste like.
Behind each tree, each photograph, there is a history, and the greatest challenge is the search. It's what makes us research and travel around the world, on the World Wide Web.

One opinion only is not enough; we need several before we can come to an agreeable consensus. That's the objective, like climate change, like the world's economics, like the distribution of wealth and health, like the food inspectors, like the security and privacy of our bank accounts, like our personal passwords, like our families and children we protect, like our police officers who serve and protect all citizens living in a society of contributing families.

Each world's country have their photos, beautiful photos they like to show the rest of the world to invite them to visit and invest in tourism and development.
Only some remote undiscovered tribes of the Amazon jungle don't bother inviting other civilisations to spoil their way of living. I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom