• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any lovers of ambient?

Freeway

Have you listed to his new one? It sounds like a glitchy homage to the early 90's technosphere. Really good.

FI3AC2033060 - FI3AC2034070 - FI3AC2029010
Hit the 'Like' button

JaccoW

There's a very fine line between ambient and much of the progressive rock genre.
Add some contemporary jazz to that list and you've got a pretty nice mix though.

Some of my latest Ambient(-ish) songs have been from Portico Quartet. Terrain being the more instrumental album released this year and Monument the more electronic version.

Portico Quartet - Terrain (Bandcamp) (Discogs)

Portico Quartet - Monument (Bandcamp) (Discogs)

Paradise Cinema - Paradise Cinema (Bandcamp) (Discogs)
Another fun discovery for me lately has been Paradise Cinema... which as it turns out is by one of the members of Portico Quartet.
Jack Wylie works together with Khadim Mbaye and Tons Sambe and uses sounds from Senegal and Dakar.

Momotaro

Tangerine Dream ...
back to the high school for some of us ...
I did discover and love early dark ambient Tangerine Dream. Up to Ricochet which was the inflection point in their discography where the sequencer really took over and it all turned into German marching music.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to go through this thread again slow when I have some time.

Andretti60

Add some contemporary jazz to that list and you've got a pretty nice mix though.

Some of my latest Ambient(-ish) songs have been from Portico Quartet. Terrain being the more instrumental album released this year and Monument the more electronic version.

Portico Quartet - Terrain (Bandcamp) (Discogs)

Portico Quartet - Monument (Bandcamp) (Discogs)

Paradise Cinema - Paradise Cinema (Bandcamp) (Discogs)
Thank you for introducing me to the Portico Quartet. Excellent finding. You are right, they are ambient-ish (that is actually a compliment)
I like Paradise Cinema too, but not as much.

bartosso

I'm a huge fan of Autechre and some of their material can be classified as ambient, even in the later stages of their career when their releases have become more experimental and noisy (my preferred period btw, Exai. Best. Album. Not very ambient, though)

For ambient Autechre I recommend the EP Garbage:

Also, Biosphere's Substrata and Global Comm's 76:14 are amazing. Some other obvious ones like Aphex Twin's SAW85-92, but this needs no mention.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Quite a few years ago now I produced an audio show for Ansett (Australia) called Panorama. It was a great show filled with interviews mostly. One of the memorable pieces we did was an interview with Riley Lee, a dai shihan (Grand Master) of the Shakuhatchi. He has just finished recording in the cistern under Centennial park in Sydney which had been drained for maintenance for the first time in 80 years. Spectacular recording which included the sound of dripping water, I can find it online anymore I think it was called water dreaming. I still enjoy some of his music and this one in partilcular is a regular fav:

1662252074625.png

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wait for the crying synth starting at 4:30...

Tks

Major Contributor
Some really nice tunes being posted lately

Top Bottom