• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are there any DACs with a headphone amp and a digital output?

Matmah

I am looking for a dac to use at my sofa with a headphone output. As well as this I also need it to digital out, so I can feed it into my RME UCX II which is connected to my speakers.

My best option so far is the Audient ID24 interface. It has adat out and also a powerful headphone amp. Bitrate is only 96kz though. Running a distant second is the Antelope Zen Q which goes up to 192khz but if it is the same as the Zen Go has a weak headphone output of 60mw at 30 ohm. I don't think this would be powerful enough to run my LCD-X.

I am more than happy to use a DAC and Headphone amp stack, but I can't find any with a digital output. Anyone have any other ideas?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not use the UCX II? It has a headphone amp already?

mc.god

If you only need digital outs and not inputs, Topping D10S has them, you can stack it with a good HP amp of your choice.

An integrated solution can be Tempotec March M3, though not measured.

With both digital in and outs nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Last edited:

unpluggged

OP
M

Matmah

If you only need digital outs and not inputs, Topping D10S has them, you can stack it with a good HP amp of your choice.

An integrated solution can be Tempotec March M3, though not measured.

With both digital in and outs nothing comes to mind at the moment.

Digital inputs are not needed. The D10S could be a solution with a headphone amp. Would be nice if i could find something integrated with a 1/4 jack, but as you see options are limited.

OP
M

Matmah

Then consider the ADI-2 Pro.

Though it's still not very clear why do you want to feed your interface from your headphone amp and not the other way around.

The ADI-2 Pro is the perfect solution except for the cost. I did look at the Digiface but the headphone amp looks low powered. This is why I have been looking at the Audient ID24 as a cheaper solution.

Reason for it is that i want to use headphones on my sofa, and occasional play music on my speakers which are connected to my UCX on my studio desk.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The ADI-2 Pro is the perfect solution except for the cost. I did look at the Digiface but the headphone amp looks low powered. This is why I have been looking at the Audient ID24 as a cheaper solution.

Reason for it is that i want to use headphones on my sofa, and occasional play music on my speakers which are connected to my UCX on my studio desk.
Does the RME UCX II have a remote control?

OP
M

Matmah

Does the RME UCX II have a remote control?
Unfortunately not. That wouldn't be a solution anyway, as when I am not at the desk I take my laptop back to the sofa. The UCX is then used in standalone mode.

mc.god

Digital inputs are not needed. The D10S could be a solution with a headphone amp. Would be nice if i could find something integrated with a 1/4 jack, but as you see options are limited.
Then Tempotec M3 seems the right solution functionality\cost wise, specs too seems good and given their nice job with their dongles I think they can be somewhat trusty

S40a4fa85e8554b709616f09af67716d9l.jpg

OP
M

Matmah

Then Tempotec M3 seems the right solution functionality\cost wise, specs too seems good and given their nice job with their dongles I think they can be somewhat trusty
Thanks, I'll check them out. Not heard of the brand before, so I'll have a look and see what else they do.

mc.god

Just discovered that in the new Fiio K11 the coaxial spdif can be used as input or output, so it can feed the coax input of the UCX II.
Again, not measured, and I'd be curious about how it performs since it could be a very interesting product for features\price.

[EDIT]
uhm... fiio measurements don't seem fantastic especially the balanced out...

Last edited:
OP
M

Matmah

Just discovered that in the new Fiio K11 the coaxial spdif can be used as input or output, so it can feed the coax input of the UCX II.
Again, not measured, and I'd be curious about how it performs since it could be a very interesting product for features\price.

[EDIT]
uhm... fiio measurements don't seem fantastic especially the balanced out...
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have a huge amount of choice with products, so the K11 is on the list. It is on Amazon, so it's tempting to order that and the Audient ID24 at the same time and see which one I prefer.

I'd love to get the ADI-2 Pro, but I really can't justify that kind of cost on something that would only get occasional use. I'd rather get a cheaper interface and a new set of speakers lol....

Top Bottom