• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you using a subwoofer/subwoofers?

Are you using a subwoofer in your system?

• Total voters

nerdstrike

You lot have persuaded me that I should skip over the cheaper subs... can't afford a good one for a while yet. I'm also intimidated by the prospect of fighting the room

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ha ha, now it's starting to look like something. He he. :p:cool:
Talk about loving bass and not living in an apartment. Damn what the neighbors had become insane then.

I'll see if I can find pictures of an equally large bass fool in Sweden who filled the entire listening room with 18 "bass modules.

Subwoffer, bass modules. Hm this is the question:
(apart from neighbors, WAF, the wallet, perhaps even the bill to the ear doctor)

Yngwie! Why doesn't this forum have a heart emoji! :)

Webninja

Forum Donor
After many years with subs and a few without, I just received my Monolith 13”. Holy crap is it big. I measured the space for it, and was thinking about the 16”, so glad I didn’t get the bigger one.

I haven’t measured it or used Audyssey (planning on doing all that tomorrow), but impressions are good. At mid-high volume and 25Hz test tone, felt like a fan was blowing. It will fully pressurize my 2600 cu ft media room. I was planning on doing two, but it might be just too large of a presence for a non-dedicated room.

I agree with the comments about aesthetics and a large sub, can’t hide the fact it’s a big box. But even at very low volumes everything sounds better, music, movies.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Here's a tribute to the youth. Those who hopefully take over after we old farts have died out.First in the youth car then home Hi-fi in older days.

Rock on. Give them hell!

Last edited:

bud947

I have 3 subs in 3 different setups: desk (Presonus Sub8), lounge HT (REL Quake) and family room HT (a little Yamaha that fits nicely under the sideboard).
I have 2 Presonus sub8 integrated with Presonus E8 XT effectively creating a 3 way stereo speakers. They've added a clear and precise bass to the presonus bookshelves speakers.

@Berwhale I'd love to hear your feedback especially compared to other subwoofers.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 2 Presonus sub8 integrated with Presonus E8 XT effectively creating a 3 way stereo speakers. They've added a clear and precise bass to the presonus bookshelves speakers.

@Berwhale I'd love to hear your feedback especially compared to other subwoofers.

It's difficult to compare my subs because they all do different jobs. Subjectively, the Sub8 made a huge difference when I paired it with my iLoud MTMs and i've been extremely happy with the purchase - the size, price and connectivity of the Sub8 were perfect for my needs.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You lot have persuaded me that I should skip over the cheaper subs... can't afford a good one for a while yet. I'm also intimidated by the prospect of fighting the room

You never need expensive subs.

escksu

I have 1 definitive Prosub-100 (10" sub). Been using it for over a decade.

Its mostly for movies although I also use it for music.

Flaesh

Four subs for stereo only.

Wolf

I have several, but only use the one regularly, and typically for movies, but once in a while for music.
Overdrive10, a design of my own, 4th order bandpass with PR exit, boosted 6dB at 25 Hz. It's just incredible what it can do!

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
At the mo', kneeling in front of my system I believe that one of the two subs sounds faulty. Many years ago, I read, two BBC Ls35's and A subwoofer, perfection! Might not that be the absolute truth?

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Sorry, I meant to say, just one sub, as it's frequency is not stereo related.

Peterinvan

My experience is that there are many more subs designed for home theater than audiophile listening. An audiophile would be listening for fast transients ("taught", "slam" and other adjectives). Massive amplifiers get a better "grip" on the cones and overcome impedance resistance and the mass of the cones.

I personally I am happy with the SVS1000 with my KEF LS50W stand-mounts. SVS get a lot of love in the audiophile community. Others rave about the KEF KC62 sub.

Pattern

I run a pair of SB-1000s in stereo 2.2 directly behind the stands my passive vanilla LS50s sit on. I'm running the KEFs with an Adcom GFA-555. Crossover at 180hz Lr48 (still playing around a lot here) and dirac (once I'm happy with the crossover) provided by a ddrc-24 between the adcom and the preamp. The stereo also pulls home theater duty quite regularly. taking that much bass range away from the KEFs pays dividends in headroom before audible distortion, lower mid range clarity also seems improved.

I have recently moved the stereo to sit parallel to the back wall, it was previously very slightly tilted into the room to compensate for unequal side wall distance and length, I think for all the visual asthtetic gains it definitely seems to have cost me in the width of imaging department.

Momotaro

No. Stereo speakers are close enough to full-range and four-way. Might go there when I move that system to a larger room.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sorry, I meant to say, just one sub, as it's frequency is not stereo related.

Even if you run mono subs, more than one is beneficial for more even frequency response. You may be lucky to get an even frequency response with just one sub in a limited sweet spot, but often you won't even get that. And if you want an even response in a wider area at least dual subs is required.

makinao

I have a sub in my home workstation. I wanted to hear/feel real lows below 80Hz which is where my nearfields start rolling off, and at low loudness (I listen to music at about 70dBA, to avoid bothering everyone else working at home). The sub solved the problem.

Top Bottom