• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 266 82.1%

• Total voters

SharpEars

"NFS Optimized"

Disappointing, hopefully not another company going similar route after the Chinese pushing the DACs to godknowswhat SINAD levels with NFB and other tricks to get to the top of the chart but forgetting about the most important - sound, something which is purely subjective and it's what it's about in this hobby - It has to pleasure the ears (and eyes!) and not a cold piece of electronics to plot a nice looking chart.
You are on the wrong website, my friend. May I recommend PS Audio, next door?

The high level picture is that company has made an incredible investment in instrumentation and optimization of its product and it shows. Likely ton of effort has gone into scan after scan to produce some of the best measurements I have seen. Having a Klippel NFS is one thing. Putting up with multi-hour scans for every test iteration is another.

The testing and research by the audio companies, and the ASR reviews are good for the consumer. Many thanks for all the efforts of everyone doing the work.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"NFS Optimized"

Disappointing, hopefully not another company going similar route after the Chinese pushing the DACs to godknowswhat SINAD levels with NFB and other tricks to get to the top of the chart but forgetting about the most important - sound, something which is purely subjective and it's what it's about in this hobby - It has to pleasure the ears (and eyes!) and not a cold piece of electronics to plot a nice looking chart.
There is a relationship between good sound and good measurements, I encourage you to look into it. And trust your ears! a good double blind test is the best way to do that.

Grandzoltar

Forum Donor
We live in a time where we have Access to much more speakers then what our local dealer can offer. Since we can't demo everything measurements give us an idea on the sound profile. It's sad (and not surprising) that some companies are reluctant to send anything here because instead of constructive criticism the "mob" can swallow you whole. Measurements provide me much insight then what I could ever listen for. Those 1 or 2 guys rattled this whole thread taking away from what this thread was started for.

Ascend your passion for what you do is clearly evident in your products well done. I'm not sure how you can top your recent creations but knowing you I'm sure you and that nfs will come up with something. I tip my hat to you sir

Xcaliber

Great review. I'm wondering what is the amplifier of choice for these speakers?

It really depending on how loud you listen to your speakers, the seating distance, room, etc. You can run some numbers here to get an estimated wattage that you may need to power them.

Personally, i have the bigger brother Sierra LX, about 2~3dB lower sensitivity than these S1V2, but I listen to them mostly at around 70dB from 5.5ft away, according to the SPL calculator the LX used less than 0.1 watt! LOL If you sits 10ft away and play these S1V2 at 85dB, you would need less than 5 watts per speaker!! I think you probably could even get away with the $50 Aiyima A07 amp that puts out 48w @8ohm. Practically any AVR in the market should work just fine, unless you intend to play them at concert level in a very large room.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It really depending on how loud you listen to your speakers, the seating distance, room, etc. You can run some numbers here to get an estimated wattage that you may need to power them.

Personally, i have the bigger brother Sierra LX, about 2~3dB lower sensitivity than these S1V2, but I listen to them mostly at around 70dB from 5.5ft away, according to the SPL calculator the LX used less than 0.1 watt! LOL If you sits 10ft away and play these S1V2 at 85dB, you would need less than 5 watts per speaker!! I think you probably could even get away with the $50 Aiyima A07 amp that puts out 48w @8ohm. Practically any AVR in the market should work just fine, unless you intend to play them at concert level in a very large room.
The entire sierra line is pretty easy to drive... Amp selection is purely based on desired features and use ...any avr or decent class d should drive them....dedicated amps at 100w would be overkill....

GabrielPhoto

I have had some back and forths with Dave in the past but putting that aside, THIS is how I would like to see all speaker companies react to reviews and making the investment (a big one at that!) to improve their products and this is the perfect proof of how that paid off in one excellent product.
Now I am REALLY intrigued about the optimized ELX Horizon center..that could be an END GAME center for sure!

GabrielPhoto

"NFS Optimized"

Oh boy, are you serious now?

Livnmuskoka

Agreed they are not. But due to diffuse light they really look like ray tracing. I'm not the only one to think so. I think some other object or background texture is needed for the shots.

Customer gallery gave me some idea though. Now I'm down to natural finish vs dark cherry...

Post in thread 'Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX Review'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...acoustics-sierra-lx-review.47294/post-1696438
I recently bought LX's in dark cherry. They look nice but you can't really see the woodgrain and have to worry more about scratches. Kind of regret not getting the natural finish.

muad

I recently bought LX's in dark cherry. They look nice but you can't really see the woodgrain and have to worry more about scratches. Kind of regret not getting the natural finish.
The natural is what I had. It's beautiful and looks better in real life than the pictures on the Internet. Really wish I liked the LX more than I did.

Livnmuskoka

The natural is what I had. It's beautiful and looks better in real life than the pictures on the Internet. Really wish I liked the LX more than I did.
I've had my LX's here for a month but haven't got to listen to them yet, I was waiting for my amp to arrive. Now that our builder is available to finish the basement, it'll probably be another month.
I really liked the Kef Reference 1's when I heard them, and the LX are only one spot below the Reference 1 Meta's in the user preference ratings, so hopefully they sound similar and I really like the LX's too. I'll also have EQ available as well if I'd like some small adjustments.

Penelinfi

I've had my LX's here for a month but haven't got to listen to them yet, I was waiting for my amp to arrive. Now that our builder is available to finish the basement, it'll probably be another month.
I really liked the Kef Reference 1's when I heard them, and the LX are only one spot below the Reference 1 Meta's in the user preference ratings, so hopefully they sound similar and I really like the LX's too. I'll also have EQ available as well if I'd like some small adjustments.
LX would probably be around $3k AUD so 1/5 the price in Aus.
Would also be fun to compare with Sointuva.
And you still have $6k left for KEF R3 meta and an amplifier

Livnmuskoka

LX would probably be around $3k AUD so 1/5 the price in Aus.
Would also be fun to compare with Sointuva.
And you still have $6k left for KEF R3 meta and an amplifier
The LX are $1,500 US and ended up being $2,540 CDN total with exchange, shipping, and tax.
I was actually going to buy Sointuva's until I read how bad the build quality is. The frequency response doesn't end up being close to what it should be.
If the LX are as clear and detailed as my previous Bryston Mini T's, and more accurate, I'll be very happy.

Last edited:

Pareto Pragmatic

Light scratches should not go through the finish, though I don't know how far the stain penetrates bamboo. Deeper scratches? Get a wood touch up pen, and just cover them with that. Given it is actually wood, the touch up stain/finish should take well. No tools, no mess. easy to get it right where you need it and no place else.

Eytsch

I ended up ordering dark cherry after seeing more shots from customers and reviewers in realistic lighting. I expect to be reasonably happy with the looks.
What I will have second thoughts about, though, is whether I should have gotten the LX for a bit more bass...

Livnmuskoka

I ended up ordering dark cherry after seeing more shots from customers and reviewers in realistic lighting. I expect to be reasonably happy with the looks.
What I will have second thoughts about, though, is whether I should have gotten the LX for a bit more bass...
More bass, and with an upgraded woofer, tweeter, and crossover, I assume the LX should also have better clarity and detail.

Verig

Excellent work. Room happy speakers always find their place.

I'm very interested in that tweeter as a part, especially after designer comparing it to Be tweeters which I like very much. Some DIY inspiration brewing.

Penelinfi

I was actually going to buy Sointuva's until I read how bad the build quality is. The frequency response doesn't end up being close to what it should be.
That's news to me. I don't ever recall reading about problems with the frequency response

moonthink

Forum Donor
I had the same thought process until I got them. Now I'm sure the LX's are better, but I am not lacking bass (but I also use a sub, and haven't listened to them without one yet). In fact, I've had to dial back the sub a bit since swapping these in for my previous Revel M16's, which are no bass slouch either. I also got the dark cherry.

Livnmuskoka

That's news to me. I don't ever recall reading about problems with the frequency

That's news to me. I don't ever recall reading about problems with the frequency response
I'm not sure where I saw the review now. But there were air leaks around the binding posts and maybe the drivers, which was changing the frequency response. I believe there were some screws not tightened, can't remember everything now, but several issues.
And I wasn't interested in paying over $6,000 CDN and still have to rebuild them properly.

Top Bottom