• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

Hephaestus

Well this is my setup before eq and adding 7040.. in a completely untreated room on desktop. It did slope downward in last octave
Good info. PIR is fo far field - near field is another story.

YSC

Major Contributor
Good info. PIR is fo far field - near field is another story.
That’s only 0.7m away from speaker, as a gaming pc setup and not mixing whatsoever. But this thread is for ATC not genelec so I don’t bother post the post eq below Schroeder frequency with 7040 measurement in same nearfield settings, my room is tiny and at 0.7m my back is on the wardrobe so mid to far field measurement isn’t available anyway, it didn’t sound anything like harsh or bass lacking

Chrise36

Major Contributor
1663438894912.png

1030a

Impossible

I must ask
ATC monitors are considered to be one of the best if not the best monitors on the planet, it's also a consensus on Gearslutz
But around here they're not very popular
I must understand why :)
Because they aren't very good at all.
The driver for the mids is great sounding on the larger speakers. All the active speakers in their line have advantage of dsp. All the monitors smaller then the atc40 are just terrible. None are very accurate.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Because they aren't very good at all.
The driver for the mids is great sounding on the larger speakers. All the active speakers in their line have advantage of dsp. All the monitors smaller then the atc40 are just terrible. None are very accurate.
They don't use DSP at all. They're analog active. Also, they're not terrible, just too expensive.

the bass hump is weird, maybe it's the unit or whatsoever causing it.
It's a result of their port tuning, I think.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another 8030c with mmm from a member here
You see how different measured room responses can be depending on the room reverberation curve and listening distance, that's why on their own they don't tell much, not at least if no other loudspeakers are measured at the same position to at least compare them. For example you showed a flatish D&D 8c listening response, I had the luck to measure one too in an acoustically well behaving (lightly treated) living room and it showed a smooth continuous slope of approx. 0.8 dB/octave:

index.php

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/best-room-response.12715/page-7#post-382707
And it didn't sound overly bright to any of the several invited listeners, not even directly compared to the KH310 which was placed there too and is supposed to be rather a darker voiced loudspeaker.

By the way few of the responses you just showed show a peak above 5 kHz which give also me the suspicion of the possibility of non calibrated mics

What is true though is that earlier versions of the GLM corrected the response below 1 kHz very flat which can be perceived at sounding too bright and was changed at the later ones, but that is not an issue of the loudspeakers themselves but the automatic room correction.

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
You see how different measured room responses can be depending on the room reverberation curve and listening distance, that's why on their own they don't tell much, not at least if no other loudspeakers are measured at the same position to at least compare them. For example you showed a flatish D&D 8c listening response, I had the luck to measure one too in an acoustically well behaving (lightly treated) living room and it showed a smooth continuous slope of approx. 0.8 dB/octave:

index.php

Source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/best-room-response.12715/page-7#post-382707
And it didn't sound overly bright to any of the several invited listeners, not even directly compared to the KH310 which was placed there too and is supposed to be rather a darker voiced loudspeaker.

By the way few of the responses you just showed show a peak above 5 kHz which give also me the suspicion of the possibility of non calibrated mics

What is true though is that earlier versions of the GLM corrected the response below 1 kHz very flat which can be perceived at sounding too bright and was changed at the later ones, but that is not an issue of the loudspeakers themselves but the automatic room correction.
And for those 8x20/8x30 ppl are more than likely using in nearfield, which the slope shall not be too steep or there at all, should have a flatish mids to highs and a sub should do the bass shelve, since he posted a few measurements in domestic nearfield I add my own measurement with Harman target curve overlain on it, only below 400hz which is the schroeder frequency in my room

1-48_L new EQ.jpg

Not a good response as no treatment, full of reflection and stuffs put right next to both speakers and a monitor in between, a bit fron tf the speakers causing all these comb filtering in the 1/48 plot, but it did sound natural/neutral, coz in nearfield of 0.7m that's what I think should be expected.

Chrise36

Major Contributor

index.php

I think the point is that Genelec stock FR and similarly flat measuring speakers is aimed for treated rooms/nearfield use unless a bit of brigthness is preferred otherwise a bit less flat would be preferred. That is why some users have them tilted to the back or use lower level in the treble.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the point is that Genelec stock FR and similarly flat measuring speakers is aimed for treated rooms/nearfield use unless a bit of brigthness is preferred otherwise a bit less flat would be preferred. That is why some users have them tilted to the back or use lower level in the treble.
Neumann even recommends using the treble -1dB setting at non treated rooms, good studio monitors and good home hifi loudspeakers are often optimised for different room characteristics, placements and listening distances.

SoundGuy

Abbey Road Studios just fell victim to what everyone at ASR has been warning about - all that ATC hype. If only they had taken the time to consult with ASR armchair experts what speakers measure best….

Oh the tragedy - there simply aren’t enough waveguides - you always need more waveguides - just like you always need more cowbell.

I guess the writing is on the wall for the legendary Abbey Road Studios… the ASR gurus will no doubt be holding a vigil in light of their coming demise. ATC mains and ATC on the meter bridge - what are they smoking? ;-) /sarc off
44C38D85-8248-4294-A10B-288B09FD9413.jpeg

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Abbey Road Studios just fell victim to what everyone at ASR has been warning about - all that ATC hype. If only they had taken the time to consult with ASR armchair experts what speakers measure best….

Oh the tragedy - there simply aren’t enough waveguides - you always need more waveguides - just like you always need more cowbell.

I guess the writing is on the wall for the legendary Abbey Road Studios… the ASR gurus will no doubt be holding a vigil in light of their coming demise. ATC mains and ATC on the meter bridge - what are they smoking? ;-) /sarc off
View attachment 236541
And the legendary Metropolis studio use Genelecs, other rooms in Abby Road uses B&W, legendary Capitol Studio use PMC, I guess all these are doomed not using ATC for their dynamics also?

Comon, studio uses just mean they are passing certain requirement level and then the decision are based on user demand on brands, promotion/bargain with the vendor etc. it doesn't mean they are the best choice individually and especially a studio can tailor the whole room, EQ and whatever to fix the deficiency of the speaker of choice in that single LP in the mixing console, it doesn't mean anything about the SOTA designs or so

goat76

Major Contributor

View attachment 236541
Nice!

I’m sure it's a big step forward from the free-standing B&W’s they had in that room before if I remember correctly.

YSC

Major Contributor
Nice!

I’m sure it's a big step forward from the free-standing B&W’s they had in that room before if I remember correctly.
They have 3 rooms, 2 still using B&W, the new Room 3 using ATCs are having a selling point being "complemented with the perfect blend of vintage tech and modern gear that you’d expect from a bespoke writing & recording room", so give or take what it is, I am sure it's good enough for the job, but if one room is better or not is purely your own take.

goat76

Major Contributor
They have 3 rooms, 2 still using B&W, the new Room 3 using ATCs are having a selling point being "complemented with the perfect blend of vintage tech and modern gear that you’d expect from a bespoke writing & recording room", so give or take what it is, I am sure it's good enough for the job, but if one room is better or not is purely your own take.
It's not “my take” on the matter, we all know why wall-mounted speakers is preferred over free-standing speakers. My post had nothing to do with ATC vs B&W.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
/sarc reply on
Well, Abbey also used 500£ per meter speaker cables, so obviously they must now a lot better than those ASR desktop nerds and everything they do should not be questioned by anyone!

Frgirard

Major Contributor

View attachment 236541
In France, Radio France choose ATC because ATC offered the better discount.

All professionals speakers brands lay siege to large structures as soon as they learn of an operation.

Now, Radio France operators use an headphone to overcome the lack of ATC: Bad stereo image.

charleski

Major Contributor
/sarc reply on
Well, Abbey also used 500£ per meter speaker cables, so obviously they must now a lot better than those ASR desktop nerds and everything they do should not be questioned by anyone!
Oddly enough, it seems that at least two studios in Abbey Road use different cables ... as if anyone cared. A cynic might suggest they're just taking advantage of anyone who offers to give them the whole lot for free ...

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom