• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio-gd nfb11.28 amp power issues

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the input I appreciate it, I have some spare IEC inputs at work, so as you say I might jumper them across and bypass that mess that’s there and see what happens.
To be fair there’s not really anywhere I can send it, places in my country tend to either only repair reputable vintage equipment or send anything else to the manufacturer.
Usually I’m a lot more game to give things a go, just not as versed with obscure Chinese amps
Well... If I may be frank, a lot frank. The Audio GD stuff does not meter well in tests but it is visually interesting gear and the circuit boards and parts on them are made to appear impressive. It will be a moderately OK amp if you can get it stabilized and operational. But don't expect leading edge technology as it is an all discreet design and will have much more distortion than the modern designs. I would spend up to maybe maximum at the most ~$50 on a technician which is not a lot of money for a good techy these days. The problem is that (most of.) the very experienced good techs have all retired or died and finding one is tricky.

Otherwise there is a huge selection of very good and very well tested new headphone amp/pre-amps available for not much money these days. Don't spend much on this unit and buy a new model if you really need a headphone amp.

Screenshot 2024-04-03 075357.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a solid advice cause as I was also searching for a clean photo I saw a thread that an Audio GD tried to burn someones house :eek:
I've said it before... LoL... I've repaired about 55K units over ~15 years at the bench and all where broken and many of them where badly fried. All of those could be blamed for near starting a house fire. :D It's actually not uncommon for parts to fail.

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ah that reddit link again...
I said it back then and I will say it now, that post is from someone who had a personal negative experience with a unit overreacted and overdramatized the situation.

Top Bottom