• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 59 37.8%

• Total voters

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like the red circle:)
But presumably the output is optical or RCA spdif,

The output of the Amazon Basics box is HDMI (2ch) and S/PDIF (coax and optical, 2ch or lossy 5.1) . THere's also a stereo analog out

PavelV

Audio Company
Hello all,
We have just released a new firmware v5.3. The main change is added full support for the optional USB output module which essentially turns the VanityPRO into 8-channel HDMI to USB audio converter with optional resampling. There is an auxiliary digital (SPDIF) input on the USB module too and the unit can be used as a USB audio interface with digital in. We have also increased the FIFO depth and further improved the DBLL (Digital Buffer Locked Loop) control with dynamically adjusted frequency steps. The frequency tracking accuracy can be seen in our recent post on Facebook . The firmware can be downloaded from its usual location on our website. Any questions, please ask.
Regards,
Pavel

rhollan

With OREI units one has to be careful of CEC support and audio format. Some require a manual switch to select audio format (2ch, 5.1ch, 7.1ch) that resets to a default if you power off the unit. And some require a manual switch to select between HDMI in and TV HDMI ARC/eARC that also resets on power off. CEC can be supported, passthrough, or not supported, so your TV remote volume control may or may not work.

I chose an HDA-934 that (a) remembers audio format and (b) input selection settings across power cycles, (c) supports CEC, and (d) a remote. But, it is designed to route to an eARC sink like the miniDSP Flex HTx , not audio over HDMI like the Audiopraise wants.

The HDA-929 has a manual ARC/eARC switch to select TV or source audio. This may or may not be suitable in your scenario (I'm not sure if source audio TO a TV is routed back over eARC FROM the TV, in a desirable format -- the TV may negotiate 2ch.)

You may be better off with https://www.walmart.com/ip/eARC-Ext...dCgbHgbuELfAwsQCJKdiQLLwXsM6oagEaAiHyEALw_wcB to convert eARC back to HDMI audio and an HDA-934.

Last edited:

PGAMiami

With OREI units one has to be careful of CEC support and audio format. Some require a manual switch to select audio format (2ch, 5.1ch, 7.1ch) that resets to a default if you power off the unit. And some require a manual switch to select between HDMI in and TV HDMI ARC/eARC that also resets on power off. CEC can be supported, passthrough, or not supported, so your TV remote volume control may or may not work.

I chose an HDA-934 that (a) remembers audio format and (b) input selection settings across power cycles, (c) supports CEC, and (d) a remote. But, it is designed to route to an eARC sink like the miniDSP Flex HTx , not audio over HDMI like the Audiopraise wants.

The HDA-929 has a manual ARC/eARC switch to select TV or source audio. This may or may not be suitable in your scenario (I'm not sure if source audio TO a TV is routed back over eARC FROM the TV, in a desirable format -- the TV may negotiate 2ch.)

You may be better off with https://www.walmart.com/ip/eARC-Ext...dCgbHgbuELfAwsQCJKdiQLLwXsM6oagEaAiHyEALw_wcB to convert eARC back to HDMI audio and an HDA-934.
Thanks you. So if I understand correctly, the device you refer to above with allow the VanityPro to receive multichannel lpcm from my TV via the HDMI eARC port.

rhollan

Thanks you. So if I understand correctly, the device you refer to above with allow the VanityPro to receive multichannel lpcm from my TV via the HDMI eARC port.
Yes, or the source, automatically. But that device connects to a eARC input device, like a soundbar.

Nattage

What would it do with Dolby Atmos from streaming services? Ideally looking for 5.1 or 7.1 lpcm

rhollan

Generally, these devices do not transcode audio. Either the device specifies a set of switch- or remote-selectable audio formats, or it passes through the formats of the sink, expecting the source to transcode.

PGAMiami

Generally, these devices do not transcode audio. Either the device specifies a set of switch- or remote-selectable audio formats, or it passes through the formats of the sink, expecting the source to transcode.
My system is just 5.0, so my thought is to set the Apple TV to output LPMC 5.1 and run a convolution filter on a Mac that would EQ the system and send the LFE to the appropriate channels> I have no height channels, so I don't think Dolby Atmos would be of much use (if at all). Apple TV decodes everything except Atmos.

Top Bottom