• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audivarna Studio

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I used older versions of Audirvana for years, and it usually worked well for me. But the last version of Audirvana Plus was a mess, I had static, songs skipping or stopping before the end, all kinds of weird stuff that never happened with prior versions. I made a genuine and earnest effort to solve these issues on their forum, but after trying many suggestions they had no working solutions, and maybe not so interested since they were preparing this Studio version. My experience obviously did not bode well for this new subscription based Studio, so I thought I would wait and see what others say before trying it myself.

However, I just saw an email that they are going to have an Audirvana Remote app, so that one can control playback on their computer remotely via a smart phone! Wow, this is exactly what I’ve been wanting for years, and amazed that nobody did it before...and now I am interested in trying Audirvana Studio, mostly for this reason alone.

If anyone has a chance to post more impressions, I’d be interested to hear more...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Plex and am happy with it. It's also used for my home tv DVR and media server for movies and tv shows. I found it when I looked for a replacement for iTunes 7 years ago. It's great if you have a large personal library of any kind of media on a local computer. You can use it for free for you own personal library on your own home network with apps on all your devices.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I used older versions of Audirvana for years, and it usually worked well for me. But the last version of Audirvana Plus was a mess, I had static, songs skipping or stopping before the end, all kinds of weird stuff that never happened with prior versions. I made a genuine and earnest effort to solve these issues on their forum, but after trying many suggestions they had no working solutions, and maybe not so interested since they were preparing this Studio version. My experience obviously did not bode well for this new subscription based Studio, so I thought I would wait and see what others say before trying it myself.

However, I just saw an email that they are going to have an Audirvana Remote app, so that one can control playback on their computer remotely via a smart phone! Wow, this is exactly what I’ve been wanting for years, and amazed that nobody did it before...and now I am interested in trying Audirvana Studio, mostly for this reason alone.

If anyone has a chance to post more impressions, I’d be interested to hear more...

Audirvana 3.5 already has a remote app for tablet or phone to control Audirvana music playback. I use it quite a bit. I don't see any functionality a remote would bring that the existing tablet and phone apps don't already offer.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Audirvana 3.5 already has a remote app for tablet or phone to control Audirvana music playback. I use it quite a bit. I don't see any functionality a remote would bring that the existing tablet and phone apps don't already offer.

3.5 was the version that didn't work for me. The latest stable version I can run without major glitches is 3.2.20 ...

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. The existing version works glitch free for me for the last 9 months on my iPad.

charleski

Major Contributor
I'm running it on a 12 year old 17" mac book pro. I'm happy with the current version, I only use it via the mobile app, the laptop is lid shut, out of sight.
The 17" MBPs from 2009 can only be updated to El Capitan (OSX 10.11). I think Studio requires 10.13, so you wouldn't be able to use it anyway.

OP
S

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm running Catalini via dosdude patcher. I'm not interested in any subscription software, even less so one that requires a hardware change to unlock features I'm not interested in.

I suspect that might be true for quite a few users.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Interesting. The existing version works glitch free for me for the last 9 months on my iPad.

To be clear, my issues were the following:
(1) Topping D90 MQA is not recognized as a MQA device.
(2) Topping D90 MQA is not recognized as a native DSD device.
(3) Pops and crackles on playback, both from local files and streamed from network.
(4) Streamed tracks from Tidal skip and jump.
(5) Tracks stop playback before they end.

The Audirvana support thread where I tried to solve these is here:
https://community.audirvana.com/t/dac-and-tidal-streaming-trouble/24627/26

There is just no excuse for an audio playback software to have these issues, and it isn't a simple setting issue. All of my prior versions of Audirvana worked perfectly on that very same computer and connection hardware.

I thought I might try Roon, but their website is horrible and doesn't actually explain what the software does in concrete terms.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, my issues were the following:
(1) Topping D90 MQA is not recognized as a MQA device.
(2) Topping D90 MQA is not recognized as a native DSD device.
(3) Pops and crackles on playback, both from local files and streamed from network.
(4) Streamed tracks from Tidal skip and jump.
(5) Tracks stop playback before they end.

The Audirvana support thread where I tried to solve these is here:
https://community.audirvana.com/t/dac-and-tidal-streaming-trouble/24627/26

There is just no excuse for an audio playback software to have these issues, and it isn't a simple setting issue. All of my prior versions of Audirvana worked perfectly on that very same computer and connection hardware.

I thought I might try Roon, but their website is horrible and doesn't actually explain what the software does in concrete terms.

Thanks for the details. I use the Denon 4700 and the RME ADI-2 FS with Audirvana and iPad remote. I use Qobuz and CD rips but zero DSD files and no MQA. I don't experience any issues with skipping or crackles but I'm sure I must of have a complaint about something. :D

Spider

Hi, I was a long-time 3.5 user & have switched to AS, it was buggy at first, but I think now they have fixed it for the most part.
Audirvana Studio plays anything you throw at it, that is nice, the UI is great, functionality is almost perfect.
I have Roon+AS & JRiver & Audirvana Studio wins regarding audio quality IMHO.
It is not that I don't enjoy the two other Players/Streamers, Audirvana is just better.
I have about 168.000 Local audio files in FLAC+Hi-Res+ALAC & some Wavpack.
Tidal Hi-Fi+Qobuz Studio integrated.
I am in general a very happy customer regarding all three Players.:)

Top Bottom