• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV receivers - power consumption

D

Deleted member 48726

No, you don't, as a sizeable chunk of power consumption is from processing... both the DSP and the HDMI chips.

At lower (normal?) output levels, the DSP and HDMI chips are likely to be using more power than the power amp section - but power output tests do not exercise the DSP and HDMI - so the likely results will be optimistic.

The test of efficiency needs to be designed to reflect a scenario - eg: decoding an Atmos data stream, transmitting and receiving eARC, running RoomEQ, while driving all channels into a standard impedance set of speakers (which standard), to simulate "normal" viewing/listening.

There are far too many variables here to lay it out as a simple 2 axis graph.

Having said that, yes measuring efficiency during power output tests would provide one valuable point of reference - but my old Onkyo/Integra AVR's used to run egg-fryingly hot, while idling.... and even when driving the setup to the max levels I used, the "hot spots" were always the DSP and HDMI, and NOT the power output circuits!

So efficiency of an AVR needs to be measured differently from efficiency of a power amp!
No. Efficiency is useful work vs. input power.
So all those things you list that's different on an AVR than a power amp is not things that makes the efficiency measurement more difficult.
-They are things that make an AVR less efficient!

Efficiency should be measured the same be it an AVR or a power amp.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the list going to have various conditions/uses listed at various volume/load levels? Or just standby? I consider the system's consumption as whatever is needed, tho.....altho I suppose my amps have gotten more efficient over the years....

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Post #788 here
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...krimson-stereo-ultra-amp-tour.1148415/page-32
shows one model's actual efficiency curve. I've come to believe, in the absence of data, that those ">90% efficiency" are well not really true. Maybe the output modules for some Class D designs are, at maximum power, but the power supply always eats some efficiency. And at low power other losses creep in and reduce efficiency.

I think your question is a really good one; I hope more data pops out. Although I don't believe we can make blanket statements like "Class G" or "Class D" as though all designs within those classes are all the same.

Please note that is for the amplifier module only. The efficiency of a fully finished amp with the power supply will be lower. Maybe at some point, I will measure and post that as well.

Top Bottom