• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AVR or New Front Stage for music

Agapetos

Hey everyone!

I currently run rz50, Klipsch rp8000f and rp450c as my front stage. Everything else is also Klipsch for a 7.1.4 setup.

When I started out I had no plan, and my budget wasn't clear, and so this ended up being my first surround system, not build from hand-me-downs from clients that I upgraded their systems for.

Firstly, my internal relationship with Amir and Erin is a love hate sorta thing. I appreciate so much all the reviews and while researching I also got annoyed when the measurements doesn't fit my confirmation bias

Where I am at, is way different than when I started, so I went from 10/90 music/movies to probably 70/30 now, as I started really improving my sound. Oh pb16 for sub for now only 1.

Here's my question. I'm not entirely happy with the rz50 and music...it's ok, and Dirac does ok as well, but somewhat flat, or lacking some presence. I bought the arcam arv11 which sounded awesome..... however, the Ethernet port was busted, and I returned it. The navigation and setup is awful and the remote is crap as well. So, seeing the az5000es thread in here was really helpful,cas I've been itching to try it out ...I understand the risk of having to deal with possible issues, but I'll go through Amazon, easy returns.

It's either a new AVR or....I could get new speakers....what do you thing would give me the biggest upgrade in sound? The rp8000f are ok, but I guess I'm not as big of a Klipsch fan as I thought.

I was thinking revel f208 or JBL hdi 3800.

Sry for the long post, I understand that information is key.

I listen to all kinds of music, deep metal tracks to electronic and a lot of pink Floyd and dire straits....

Any help would be appreciated much!!!

Been reading a LOT of posts and reviews in here, and while I love the science of it all, it also really helps me avoiding products that has a killer marketing strategy, but measures really awful.

So, AVR or Speakers? TIA

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers there are 5 reviews of Klipsch speakers on the ASR index and they get a "No" or an N/A recommendation

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers would be a much better route to better sound rather than the electronics....and the speakers you're thinking about are good choices I think. Comparing different electronics without a blind level matched test and only relying on sonic memory not a great way to go about it.

OP
A

Agapetos

Speakers would be a much better route to better sound rather than the electronics....and the speakers you're thinking about are good choices I think. Comparing different electronics without a blind level matched test and only relying on sonic memory not a great way to go about it.
Thank you. Yes, what rabbit hole I went into when researching LOL

I've borrowed some amps as well too see if I could improve, but while I could tinger and adjust to my hearts extent I'm sure the Klipsch are by far my bottle neck...the surround speakers can be done later, so my front stage is up....ok, thank you again...I gotta be mindful of what center speaker is the timbre match, if I gotta do this, I really was aiming for 3 way. I've looked at all the center reviews as well.

The amps I borrowed was adcoms 555 mkii and an old bridged hafner dh300 LOL I gotta admit they sounded just as good as the Emotiva xpa 3 gen 3....

OP
A

Agapetos

Speakers there are 5 reviews of Klipsch speakers on the ASR index and they get a "No" or an N/A recommendation
You know, I kind of avoided those cuz I knew I needed better speakers, but I didn't get really involved until after I purchased them and even now, I probably don't have to.... they'll work great in my bedroom. Thank you!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. Yes, what rabbit hole I went into when researching LOL

I've borrowed some amps as well too see if I could improve, but while I could tinger and adjust to my hearts extent I'm sure the Klipsch are by far my bottle neck...the surround speakers can be done later, so my front stage is up....ok, thank you again...I gotta be mindful of what center speaker is the timbre match, if I gotta do this, I really was aiming for 3 way. I've looked at all the center reviews as well.

The amps I borrowed was adcoms 555 mkii and an old bridged hafner dh300 LOL I gotta admit they sounded just as good as the Emotiva xpa 3 gen 3....
There would be no particular reason for those amps to sound different. Speakers and your room dictate the sound largely.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
since you are new go to upper left on this page click Review index > click speakers > click the top of any column sort > search ex: center channel

OP
A

Agapetos

Yes, that's what I am learning....BTW the arcam with its 80w sounded quite a bit louder than the rz50 with its 120w I think both 2ch driven... surprised me....I returned my xpa 3 and arcam to make room for a new purchase, which now is clearly going to be speakers.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One more tip on reviews read comments because sometimes the features of the device are as important as a good review, especially if they are missing or flawed or difficult to use or not there. Amir tends to focus on performance and not ease of use. With speakers maybe this not so important but commenters are de-facto reviewers too especially if they bought the product.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Hey everyone!

I currently run rz50, Klipsch rp8000f and rp450c as my front stage. Everything else is also Klipsch for a 7.1.4 setup.

When I started out I had no plan, and my budget wasn't clear, and so this ended up being my first surround system, not build from hand-me-downs from clients that I upgraded their systems for.

Firstly, my internal relationship with Amir and Erin is a love hate sorta thing. I appreciate so much all the reviews and while researching I also got annoyed when the measurements doesn't fit my confirmation bias

Where I am at, is way different than when I started, so I went from 10/90 music/movies to probably 70/30 now, as I started really improving my sound. Oh pb16 for sub for now only 1.

Here's my question. I'm not entirely happy with the rz50 and music...it's ok, and Dirac does ok as well, but somewhat flat, or lacking some presence. I bought the arcam arv11 which sounded awesome..... however, the Ethernet port was busted, and I returned it. The navigation and setup is awful and the remote is crap as well. So, seeing the az5000es thread in here was really helpful,cas I've been itching to try it out ...I understand the risk of having to deal with possible issues, but I'll go through Amazon, easy returns.

It's either a new AVR or....I could get new speakers....what do you thing would give me the biggest upgrade in sound? The rp8000f are ok, but I guess I'm not as big of a Klipsch fan as I thought.

I was thinking revel f208 or JBL hdi 3800.

Sry for the long post, I understand that information is key.

I listen to all kinds of music, deep metal tracks to electronic and a lot of pink Floyd and dire straits....

Any help would be appreciated much!!!

Been reading a LOT of posts and reviews in here, and while I love the science of it all, it also really helps me avoiding products that has a killer marketing strategy, but measures really awful.

So, AVR or Speakers? TIA
I've been running the same basic configuration for 26 years for exactly this reason.
Stereo amplifier for the two front speakers, to which all music sources are also connected. The stereo amplifier is connected to the preamp outputs/front speakers of the AVR.
Calibrate once and you have 2 completely separate systems.
One advantage of this is that the AVR is extremely relieved and the entire power supply is available for the remaining channels.
Stereo amplifiers and AVRs can be replaced at any time, you just have to make sure that the AVR has pre-frontouts, and you can get that even with used AVRs with Atmos from €200-300. But your RZ50 has them.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's what I am learning....BTW the arcam with its 80w sounded quite a bit louder than the rz50 with its 120w I think both 2ch driven... surprised me....I returned my xpa 3 and arcam to make room for a new purchase, which now is clearly going to be speakers.
Could be sensitivity of amp, output of pre, hard to know....while an amp is nice if you need the power, not much to worry about in general.

OP
A

Agapetos

I've been running the same basic configuration for 26 years for exactly this reason.
Stereo amplifier for the two front speakers, to which all music sources are also connected. The stereo amplifier is connected to the preamp outputs/front speakers of the AVR.
Calibrate once and you have 2 completely separate systems.
One advantage of this is that the AVR is extremely relieved and the entire power supply is available for the remaining channels.
Stereo amplifiers and AVRs can be replaced at any time, you just have to make sure that the AVR has pre-frontouts, and you can get that even with used AVRs with Atmos from €200-300. But your RZ50 has them.
Yes, I've been using the pre outs, got a handful of amps nothing too elaborate, but I really like the idea of running the front l and r of off a stereo amp, which I can then pick specifically for my needs....thank you, I like it!!!

Top Bottom