• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Michael Jackson (& Slash): Give In To Me, from Dangerous album.
spectrogram.png

I should add that the smashing window pane at the beginning of track 1 "Jam" sometimes sounds like crystal glass dropping on a stone kitchen floor on some setups!

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I listen to the electronic piece in my headphone, it’s not the same as listening to it in speaker, bass should be felt in the chest.

... and the belly. :)

L5730

Lady Gaga, Bad Romance.
This is a strange one. Not obviously kicking hard in the bass, but there is something going on that makes my butt rumble... is this the brown note - or did I eat too many peanut M&M's and wash 'em down with too much fizzy cola?
01. Bad Romance - Lady GaGa.png

L5730

Lady Gaga, Edge of Glory.
At least these 7Hz Zero:2's can get down there. A lot of speakers just can't - probably a good thing for neighbourhoods relations.
Lady Gaga - 17 - The Edge Of Glory.png

Talisman

Forum Donor
When after 13 seconds the bass enters my system with three subs, I fully understood the meaning of "bass that shakes your soul".
Make sure your system doesn't fall apart before playing it

Talisman

Forum Donor
This is my test song for sub bass, if you don't have something capable of going well below 30hz, you simply won't hear almost anything at the key moment

L5730

L5730

I was wrong about the Titanic soundtrack! I was convinced that that shot went lower. It's surprising how many systems can't play it at a decent spl
I think - though am struggling to find evidence (FR plots) - most loudspeakers tend to be -10 dB at 50 Hz compared to whatever listening level is set. Could explain why 35-40 Hz is almost non-existent. Having extension that can make 30 Hz or so audible will very likely have more oomph at 40Hz too.
I think I am correct in thinking that authoritative bass in this kind of realm is really only realistically achievable with sub woofers - else too much mud in the low woofer driver. Some expensive speakers exists with subs built in - but they are still subs as far as I am concerned, just built in. Kaii 3s BXT for example of something interesting and $$$.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Thanks for that !! So, some solid bass sub-50 Hz on that intro track, but no infra-bass.

My loudspeakers are good to ~25 Hz then roll off (4-way so you would say they are among the "subs built in" type) so that lines up. My headphones go lower on specs but the sonic impact is quite different.

Interesting contrast of this one (traditional amplified instruments inc. bass guitar and drums plus synth) compared to the Hedergaard track (all synth) in terms of the fuzziness of the former and the almost vector-graphic cleanness of the bass line in the latter btw.

Last edited:

L5730

Thanks for that !! So, some solid bass sub-50 Hz on that intro track, but no infra-bass.

My loudspeakers are good to ~25 Hz then roll off (4-way so you would say they are among the "subs built in" type) so that lines up. My headphones go lower on specs but the sonic impact is quite different.

Interesting contrast of this one (traditional amplified instruments inc. bass guitar and drums plus synth) compared to the Hedergaard track (all synth) in terms of the fuzziness of the former and the almost vector-graphic cleanness of the bass line in the latter btw.
That's one issue with headphones and IEMs etc. They may be able to do a great job into sub-sonic frequencies that we just can't hear - but without the translation to/through our body we can't feel them. Maybe we pick up something through our ears, but it won't be the right experience.
I am wondering if a really good setup could be made with decently imagine headphones for all the audible range and some real hefty subs for that 0-20 Hz range and some into the 'feel it in the gut' territory <200 Hz. Could be a really good experience free from outside noise interference in the audible band - so nice clean clear and direct sound there and no need for room treatment, but all the feel in the body. Probably really annoy neighbours who won't even get a response when knocking like crazy on your door as you can't hear them with headphones... "I know you're in there, I can see your head bobbing through the window!!" :p

Top Bottom