• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of S/PDIF vs USB: which is better?

Veri

Master Contributor
No man, I am not worried about the audible difference, because its already well above 16bit and 96db. I am just worried about the technical contradiction.
I see. Performance can differ a little unit to unit. Measurement can differ a little from run to run. So this is all well within acceptable variance limits. I would not worry about that even a little ;) even if it seems contradictory.

N

nhatlam96

I see. Performance can differ a little unit to unit. Measurement can differ a little from run to run. So this is all well within acceptable variance limits. I would not worry about that even a little ;) even if it seems contradictory.
Ah I see. Theoretically, USB should be technically superior. However, the implementation quality of the input can vary. In example, if both USB and TOSLINK were implemented to the same degree of quality, then USB pulls ahead.
On the other hand, when USB was implemented worse than TOSLINK, then TOSLINK pulls ahead.
In conclusion: Units differ internally.

Veri

Master Contributor
For example toslink receivers are notorious, for there being bad and good quality ones around. Secondly it's all about the implementation. But in such small differences it should be fine in either case.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear lord, that price...

From what I can tell, the “black background“ means a total lack of measurements to validate their claims.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sonore, or a dealer for them, also claims that listening tests are not worthwhile

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dear lord, that price...
o_O:eek: how is a streaming endpoint $4500? It just has to take the ethernet input TCP/IP packets and turn them into DSD or PCM stream, then send it out via USB. I can't see any features that don't exist in freeware media player images for Rpis? This doesn't even support SPDIF input or HDMI input...

Veri

Master Contributor
o_O:eek: how is a streaming endpoint $4500? It just has to take the ethernet input TCP/IP packets and turn them into DSD or PCM stream, then send it out via USB. I can't see any features that don't exist in freeware media player images for Rpis? This doesn't even support SPDIF input or HDMI input...
It increases blackness for maximum blackground. Not a bad price for that! (/s)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Damn shit - can I use this phantastic word processing creation for our future advertisements - please?
Absolutely, it's not patented nor trademarked. Note that SuperBestAudioFriends will love you for using their term, for better or worse :p

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I bought the Nobsound Douk U2 USB XMOS converter to use with my LG V40 for my car dsp and although it worked with the laptop it does not work with the phone. It has a micro usb input should i use an y cable with power input?

Nozza

My USB is audibly noisy - ie turn the amp up high with the DAC connected to the PC with no audio playing and you can hear noises, especially produced by the graphics card.

In that case, would the measured superiority of USB over optical be irrelevant?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the Nobsound Douk U2 USB XMOS converter to use with my LG V40 for my car dsp and although it worked with the laptop it does not work with the phone. It has a micro usb input should i use an y cable with power input?
With Android you need to use a special usb cable. Check audio quest. They carry it for their dragonfly DACs. It's called Dragontail.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
Ok i solved it. The fault was the OTG adapter. I tried a Samsung USB C to USB A female adapter and it worked. Also i bought an adapter the long ones and that worked too.And it does not need external power supply. So try before you buy.As for the aformentioned noise it is probably ground loop from the power supply. Try with a laptop if you can.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My USB is audibly noisy - ie turn the amp up high with the DAC connected to the PC with no audio playing and you can hear noises, especially produced by the graphics card.
That's the fault of your PC and graphics card. My USB is dead silent. Of course, that also has something to do with the DAC implementation on the DAC.

Nozza

That's the fault of your PC and graphics card. My USB is dead silent. Of course, that also has something to do with the DAC implementation on the DAC.

I realise that, but it is what it is and I have to deal with it. It's noisy with audio taken direct from the soundcard via the headphone socket and that noise makes it through USB connections. My SMSL M100 Mk2 reduces it a reasonable amount. Obviously connecting the DAC via TOSLINK eliminates that noise entirely.

I assume that reducing this sort of noise is much more important than any theoretical inferiority of TOSLINK vs USB interface the DAC. That was what I was asking really.

Top Bottom