• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beam me Space Ambient Titles

Soandso

In 2019 I stumbled across Drone Zone internet radio station (SOMA fm) for nullifying upstairs neighbor's 2:00 - 5:00 am very loud TV. Recently have been overnight streaming playlists [Qobuz space ambient (zero beats)] that compile 160 - 192 tracks , which go off if a music rights holder withdrew streaming permission.

I'd welcome suggestions of exceptional individual albums specifically of space ambiance, because in 23 -30 hour playlists it's hard to guess which arrangers are consistently artistic. Yesterday my same neighbor's air conditioner's outside split mounted on my living room wall, as usual all summer, set my 100+ year old wood apartment walls vibrating and this is why I hope ASR members will beam me some space ambient titles to play in 2023.

punosion

Forum Donor
Steve Roach is definitely worth a look:

Blood Machine is one of my all-time favorites from him...just came out on Bandcamp, name-your-price:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Steve Roach is definitely worth a look:

Blood Machine is one of my all-time favorites from him...just came out on Bandcamp, name-your-price:

Came here to say Steve Roach also ... Immersion: One is one of my favorites for this vibe.

Selected Ambient Works II by Aphex Twin has some tracks that are somewhat spacy.

I would also suggest to take a look at Substrata I / II by Biosphere and for a more mellow sort of vibe, a lot of the Budd / Eno or just Harold Budd works.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Soandso

Soandso

Thanx to all for referrals - some should set my amp like a phaser on stun against the neighbor's noise. Checking Qobuz I see over 50 albums by Steve Roach, over 30 by Harold Budd, over 20 by Aphex Twin and over another 20 by Biosphere.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kudos to you for putting up with such a neighbor.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanx to all for referrals - some should set my amp like a phaser on stun against the neighbor's noise. Checking Qobuz I see over 50 albums by Steve Roach, over 30 by Harold Budd, over 20 by Aphex Twin and over another 20 by Biosphere.

It would be irresponsible to not point out that that's the ONLY Aphex Twin album I would recommend for 'space' vibes / sleep, most of them are pretty aggressive IDM. He's a versatile guy. He did one album of proper ambient music.

Biosphere is better but has also done some dance stuff here and there, so you'll want to check before adding them to a playlist.

Roach and Budd are pretty safe but Roach has done some more rhythmic / uptempo stuff on occasion too. :)

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
How hard would it be to create some form of active noise cancelling in the home?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can check Live Plasma for artists similar to Steve Roach...

1682407151621.png

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Not exactly space, but one of the most beautiful ambient pieces I have ever come across is Max Richter's Sleep (2016). Eight and a half hours, or there is a one hour cutdown with all of the main themes of the piece. A piece that is ideal from a streaming music standpoint also re format. It is hauntingly beautiful. They have done concerts where the audience sleeps in and the ending is timed for the sunrise (where they find orchestras that want to play for eight and a half hours bends my mind).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not exactly space, but one of the most beautiful ambient pieces I have ever come across is Max Richter's Sleep (2016). Eight and a half hours, or there is a one hour cutdown with all of the main themes of the piece. A piece that is ideal from a streaming music standpoint also re format. It is hauntingly beautiful. They have done concerts where the audience sleeps in and the ending is timed for the sunrise (where they find orchestras that want to play for eight and a half hours bends my mind).
You beat me to it!
+1
This is quite remarkable.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

OP
Soandso

Soandso

How hard would it be to create some form of active noise cancelling in the home?
My ground floor rental is an over 100 year old 2 story wood building where my bedroom is below neighbor's living room with one of those 6 feet wide televisions. And my living room below the other's bedroom with an uninsulated room which runs air conditioning all summer. My 2 rooms share a wide doorway and a wooded wall, my ceiling is uninsulated and the upstairs is wood plank flooring.

I've evolved this noise abatement strategies for my bedroom: play some melodic jazz loud in my bedroom to mask upstairs TV high frequencies along with a loud isochronic tone playing in my living room where have a subwoofer to mask the upstair's TV's inevitable standing bass waves continuously generated in my bedroom. And then I put 3M foam earplugs into both my ears, settle back in bed and eventually fall asleep (when upstairs TV blasts during waking hours I skip my earplugs and play any kind of loud jazz music I feel like).

The running upstairs air-conditioner ("split") motor mounted on my exterior living room wood wall vibrates that wall running from my living room continuous through my bedroom. It creates an ever present, sometimes altering it's pitch, background sound; which during waking hours I do not want to wear ear plugs against - so I play my various kinds of jazz music in either, or both, my rooms. I asked for space ambient music recommendations because want to try some alternative sound I could leave on for hours as sonic background that, unlike jazz, doesn't regularly engage my mind with familiarity of rhythmic anticipation.

I found ineffective general ambient music like waves, rain, birds, wind and fire in all kinds of arrangements (also unsuccessful were pink, white, brown noise). So called meditation and the new age music can't mask upstairs' bass. Just binaual beats and/or (in any combination) isochronic tones playing were not satisfactory all by themselves at the loud volume necessary to mask those overnight standing bass waves from upstairs (had to add earplugs). Although they do considerably mask daytime wall vibration sound (without requiring ear plugs too) those isochronic tones and/or binaural beats are not what I want as the background sound to my indoor daily life. Probably some day I'll move, but for the present I've a made a compromise - turn it on, turn it up and fight fire with fire.

Last edited:

Neddy

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
@Soandso I think you should move to another place. Being in such a noisy environment and living space is unhealthy in the long run. It will cost money, but there’s no price for your own physical and mental health.

Top Bottom