• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speaker cable specs

jensgk

Forum Donor
So we like to measure and rank DAC's with regards to their SINAD, regardless of whether the differences can be heard.

But what about speaker cables, they also have specs, also regardless of whether the differences ca be heard :)

If you want the audio components with the best specs, then you would probably also like the best speaker cables....

So which speaker cables are the best with regards to Resistance/Capacitance/Inductance/Other ?

Is it Canare two wire 12AWG (*) or Supra Ply 2.0 (**) or ?????

-----
(*) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/when-12-gauge-wire-is-not-12-gauge.3/
(**) https://www.stereophile.com/content/what-difference-wire-makes

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Resistance is king - go low. Two wire 12 AWG will be fine for many, many applications.

Try this article out for size. I doubt there is much he does not cover.

“If the speaker wire companies had not introduced wire having high capacitance, either out of ignorance or by intention, then there would have been no controversy like this and ordinary low resistance wire, which incidentally has very low capacitance, would have remained king from the beginning.”

Last edited:
OP
jensgk

jensgk

Forum Donor
Resistance is king - go low. Two wire 12 AWG will be fine for many, many applications.
Thanks, but in this thread I would like to try to compare all the specs, to find the one with the best specs. Regardless of whether it makes any practical difference.

CinDyment

With speaker cables it will always be a trade off between resistance capacitance and inductance. Improving one or two will almost always lead to a detriment of the third. Weaves appear to result in the lowest inductance while also having low resistance while at the same time not having overly high capacitance. I am thinking something like Kimber 4TC and others like it and all the clones out there. Not that it's going to make any difference. All the exotic wire types, all the exotic wire insulation, etc is just baffle gab from people who never blind test or even electrical test and certainly have no knowledge of or ability to visualize electrical fields let alone calculate how their design might behave.

Last edited:

CinDyment

This is what I have for power, interconnect, speaker wire in future.

I wouldn't want to have to deal with 16 awg and thick PTFE insulation for interconnects. It strikes me it would be rather stiff. For speaker cable PTFE doesn't have any benefit unless you're planning to run it in an air plenum. For power, I could not see any technical specification on the equivalent gauge of the shield if that's what you're using for the ground. The gauge has to match the conductors or be thicker.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I wouldn't want to have to deal with 16 awg and thick PTFE insulation for interconnects. It strikes me it would be rather stiff. For speaker cable PTFE doesn't have any benefit unless you're planning to run it in an air plenum. For power, I could not see any technical specification on the equivalent gauge of the shield if that's what you're using for the ground. The gauge has to match the conductors or be thicker.
PTFE is the worst choice for audio use. So of course it’s fashionable.

Defective bot is defective.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
DCR. Really, unless someone is doing something really stupid, it’s all that matters.
[emphasis added]
Never to be discounted. :(

the-polk-cobra-speaker-cable.jpg

kongwee

Major Contributor
Stiff yes, you still can bend it if you are stacking your components. Some of my USD cable are thicker than this AG16 wires. The Teflon insulation is not thick , you can bend it. It is not a sausage cable. It can handle 440V power!
IMG_20220407_205127.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Weaves appear to result in the lowest inductance while also having low resistance while at the same time not having overly high capacitance.

Weaves are a waste of time with speaker cables. You can easily add 50% or more length (and resistance) by weaving, braiding. plaiting, whatever.

Inductance isn't an issue unless your amplifier is on the edge of stability in the first place, and as for capacitance in speaker cables, we are talking nothing that any competent design couldn't handle.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Weaves are a waste of time with speaker cables. You can easily add 50% or more length (and resistance) by weaving, braiding. plaiting, whatever.

Inductance isn't an issue unless your amplifier is on the edge of stability in the first place, and as for capacitance in speaker cables, we are talking nothing that any competent design couldn't handle.
Weaves fall under the “something stupid” category. It’s counterproductive and adds a lot of cost, so of course it’s fashionable.

AudiOhm

Thanks, but in this thread I would like to try to compare all the specs, to find the one with the best specs. Regardless of whether it makes any practical difference.
Interesting, how many speaker wire/cable manufactures supply specs that are measurable?
Not many that I am aware of, a list of measurable specs would be great, resistance, capacitance, and inductance for example...

Ohms

Lambda

Major Contributor
Weaves appear to result in the lowest inductance while also having low resistance while at the same time not having overly high capacitance.
Taht’s why they are uses everywhere in measurement and scientific devices where absolute performance is the most important and price is no issue.

Last edited:

CinDyment

It can handle 440V power!

It is rated for 600V, that does not mean it is suitable as a grounded power cable if the ground shield is used as the ground conductor. It has to be of sufficient gauge for safety and I could find no indication of the equivalent gauge.

CinDyment

Weaves fall under the “something stupid” category. It’s counterproductive and adds a lot of cost, so of course it’s fashionable.

They don't provide audible benefit, but I don't think your comment w.r.t. counter-productive is technically valid. We would assume they are a star-quad arrangement, so have that benefit for EMI rejection, and they achieve low inductance without crazily high capacitance. That is a suitable outcome is it not?

Loathecliff

.....in this thread I would like to try to compare all the specs, to find the one with the best specs. Regardless of whether it makes any practical difference.
:facepalm: Mine is not to reason why.
& lo, the current lengthy vinyl thread became a haven.

Lambda

Major Contributor
So which speaker cables are the best with regards to Resistance/Capacitance/Inductance/Other ?
What would be "best" to you.
It all depends on Speakers and amplifier. or environment if you want to consider shielding for magnetic or capacitive interference coupling.

Also there are inherent trade offs between for example Capacitance/Inductance and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characteristic_impedance

standard 4 strand 16 awg, using 2 strands per channel is good for modest run lengths, it is the equivalent of 13 awg

Wire Combination Calculator
Or you uses the international system and specify Area. so you can just add add values together

Top Bottom