• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bifrost 2/64

rickyhgarcia

Just recieved a Schiit Bifrost 2/64. Physically it feels real good, and it looks great. Runs a little warm, but Schiit says this is normal.

I put together a Raspberry-Pi/Allo DigiOne Signature streamer, that I supply with the Allo Shanti linear power supply. Running Volumio on the DIY streamer to manage the many MP3 files that I have accumulated over the years, and stored in the Micro SD Card. Some of these MP3 files are songs from my vinyl collection that I digitilized using my PC. The streamer is connected to the Bifrost via kimber kable D60 coax digital cable. I guess I must upgrade to Roon soon, as I heard it to be the best player around.

The Bifrost feeds a Creek Audio OBH-12 passive preamp (I have owned this unit since the early 90´s), then to a NYAL Moscode 300 amp (hybrid AB amp, w/ tubes on input stages, and MOSFET on output stages), and to a pair of Magnepan 1.7 speakers. As a passive preamp, the Creek only switches inputs and controls volume, it does not alter the signal in any way.

I am amazed with the sound of this setup, and the ease of playing thousands of files sitting on my couch with iPhone in hand. It just sounds great.

Another piece of equipment in my rig is an Oppo BDP-95 disc player. I initially bought it for Bluray discs playing, but recently I got a Reavon UBR-X110 UHD disc player, so now the Oppo is used only as my CD player. The BPD-95 was labeled as an audiophile disc player by Oppo because it included a high quality DAC implementation internally. It has 7.1 RCA connections for home theater, and separate stereo outputs for both RCA and XLR connections. According to Oppo, the stereo outputs have a better (from the 7.1 connectors) DAC implementation behind them, thus the audiophile grade.

Since the Oppo-DAC and the Bifrost are the only high quality DAC´s that I have, I decided to compare the sound coming out of both these DAC´s. The Creek Audio preamp has a remote, so I can switch between Bifrost listening, to Oppo-DAC listening instantly very easily. I connected the Oppo to the Bifrost using the kk D60 coax cable, the Bifroft to the preamp using high quality RCA cables. Likewise, I connected the Oppo stereo outputs directly to the preamp using RCA cables. The RCA cables from both the Bifrost and Oppo to the preamp are the same brand, length and age.

Playing various types of CD´s (classical, pop, latin, jazz, etc.) I can say that I cannot hear any difference between the two. The only difference I can hear, is that the output from the Oppo-DAC is a hair higher than the Bifrost. But the sound quality, definition, clarity, bass, high frequencies, etc are all the same.

Why is this important to me? An Oppo disc player was measured in these forums that ranked quite high in all measurements. Although it is one or two models newer that my BDP-95, both use ESS top of the line DACs. Oppo was known as a price efficient, high quality maker of discs players so I assume that the implementation of the DAC is similar or the same on both models. With this in mind, I consider the Bifrost to be a good choice of DAC, high quality, great sound, with good customer support.

Last edited:
OP
R

rickyhgarcia

I guess I left my writing incomplete. I only made a comment about the Bifrost DAC, but there are two conclusions here...

1)The Bifrost 2/64 is a very good and precise sounding DAC. I do not have a good pair of headphones, nor a dedicated headphone amp, so all the listening is being done through the Magnepan speakers, and maybe definition is lost in the room acoustics. But to me music is to be heard in an open space, and the Maggies (as they fire from the front and back of the speakers) are great for open space imaging.

2)When considering the purchase of a high quality DAC, I was also considering a high quality CD-transport to feed the DAC for my 1000-plus CD collection. After my crude comparison between the latest Bifrost model and the Oppo-DAC, it is obvious that the CD-transport idea is mute. For all who owns either an Oppo BDP-95, BDP-105 or UDP-205, hold on to these units as in my opinion no DAC/CD-tranport combination will seriously challenge the CD playing capabilities of these units.

Last edited:

RigidRoamer

Want to join the dicsussion. So I have Bifrost2/64 that is currently paired with Singxer SA-1. And it is time for the Singxer to go for good :) What amp would you choose to pair with Bifrost and to use it with LCD-X and Celestee? Current primary candidates - Jotunheim2 and Topping A70Pro. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Soria Moria

Want to join the dicsussion. So I have Bifrost2/64 that is currently paired with Singxer SA-1. And it is time for the Singxer to go for good :) What amp would you choose to pair with Bifrost and to use it with LCD-X and Celestee? Current primary candidates - Jotunheim2 and Topping A70Pro. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Why not keep the Singxer? I had it and it’s good as long as it functions. Mine started menstruating and then sadly died.

RigidRoamer

Why not keep the Singxer? I had it and it’s good as long as it functions. Mine started menstruating and then sadly died.
Singxer is alright and I'm not ditching it entirely. Just moving into a my "secondary" setup in another room, where I use loudspeakers and only occasionally have to put on my headphones. So for my main headphone setup looking for a level-up amp.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

A70 Pro is clearly the better amp, performance wise, power wise and functionality wise. You can never go wrong with this choice IMHO. Personally, as much as I like the Schiit DACs (I have the Yggdrasil+ More Is Better as my main reference DAC and the OG Bifrost 2 as work desk DAC), I'm not a fan of Schiit amps except the Mjolnir 3 (powers Susvara really well despite being 1W on the "pure Class A mode, not the Push-Pull mode" followed by Lyr+ (single ended, both tube on and tube off sound great subjectively). These Schiit amps (Magni+, Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2) aren't competitive to Topping/SMSL/Geshelli/Gustard amps at their comparable price point subjectively (to me) and objectively. I’d take Schiit Midgard (must use the Halo thing which is noticeably better than SE sighted A/Bing the two HD6XX with worn out pads and unit variation issues) over the Jotunheim 2 IMHO (subjective and objective preference)
IMG_8913.jpeg

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I wouldn't focus too much on the digital side. Most DACs are audibly perfect unless you have noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background) and that's also unusual. Often the DAC built into your computer or phone is fine.

Some DACs have higher output voltage or balanced outputs which might be a better "match" for certain setups. Some power amps need higher input voltage to get maximum power out and balanced connections are immune to ground-loop noise. Or, different DACs sometimes have different "features".

If you were to plug your phone or laptop into Taylor Swift's stadium system and play an MP3, I'm sure it would sound awesome!

Some of these MP3 files are songs from my vinyl collection that I digitilized using my PC.
Vinyl is your weak link. And I'm sure you know MP3 is lossy so it's "imperfect", but it can be quite good and it can sometimes sound identical to the uncompressed original depending on the sound content and your ability to hear compression artifacts.

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

I would go with the Jotunheim as it is a fully balanced amp, and I guess, since it is the same brand as the Bifrost, to be a better match to the Bifrost DAC. I am considering the Jotunheim myself because of the flexibility the Bifrost/Jotunheim combination offers. I could use the RCA outputs of the Bifrost to feed my loudspeaker system, the XLR outputs to feed the Jotunheim. Besides, physically they are identical, so they would look great on your desktop.

If I had all the money in the world, I would get the Decware CSP3 OTL headphone amp with a lifetime warranty.

OP
R

rickyhgarcia

Schiit Midgard!!! Newest headphone amp from Schiit. It was measured by Amirn not too long ago, with close to best results. And only $219.00.

asrUser

Schiit Midgard!!! Newest headphone amp from Schiit. It was measured by Amirn not too long ago, with close to best results. And only $219.00.
I haven't owned the Midgard, but I like the Jotunheim 2 more than my replaced Topping amp. So yeah the Midgard could be a no-brainer and you can stack it with a Bitfrost or other DACs. Only downside of Schiit amps is all outputs will be used at the same time so you can't just switch from headphones to speakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom