• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big Backyard Speaker Placement... and Line Array?

1) Where would you place speakers in this large back yard for comprehensive coverage of the GREEN area? Porch area is already covered by two speakers (the ovals). Don't worry about aesthetics.

Backyard Map.png

2) Would you use point source or line array CBT speakers? JBL makes some outdoor rated ones. Given the large area I lean toward CBT.

3) Where would you place the subwoofers?

Thanks!

OP
A
Assume I'm in the "some of these plus some subs" price range. Looking for day club quality sound. Wouldn't call it audiophile (I don't know what "nuances" are) but I do know that well-designed clubs sound quite nice and loud.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a project where we used a pair of JBL CBT 70J-1s with the companion woofer modules flown above a pair of weatherized JBL ASB7118s and the sound was stunningly good even over 150' away.

We had a large Crown 4 channel amp with DSP which helped integrate the system. It was not inexpensive, but quite reasonable for the performance level.

EERecordist

In the broad mode their max SPL in music mode is 119dB at 1 meter. The SPL dB decreases by 6dB per doubling the distance from that. They may sound better around 100dB at 1 meter than 119dB. So use that formula to determine the dB at various distances from the speakers. You probably don't want it a very high dB for the listeners that are close, and you want a reasonable level for the far listeners. There is going to be a difference between a loud DJ, a wedding, or background music.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't have a very good answer but I sure do want to be invited to the party by the look of things!

OP
A
In the broad mode their max SPL in music mode is 119dB at 1 meter. The SPL dB decreases by 6dB per doubling the distance from that. They may sound better around 100dB at 1 meter than 119dB. So use that formula to determine the dB at various distances from the speakers. You probably don't want it a very high dB for the listeners that are close, and you want a reasonable level for the far listeners. There is going to be a difference between a loud DJ, a wedding, or background music.
Are you sure it doesn't decrease by 3dB/m? Isn't that the whole point of CBTs? Or are you just describing typical point source speakers?

Edit: Also I think I would not use the broad mode. I'd use narrow mode since they'd be perfectly horizontal.

OP
A
For example, here are some alternative arrangements. The rectangles would be subwoofers.

Option 1:
Backyard Speakers Option 1.png

Option 2:
Backyard Speakers Option 2.png

Option 3:
Backyard Speakers Option 3.png

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is the outer perimeter / border simply a property line or is there some sort of fence there? If a fence, what type?

I.e. An American wooden "privacy fence" is effectively a wall and would therefore factor into the decision.

OP
A
The entire southern perimeter is a chain link fence with thick vegetation growing over it. The East and West perimeters are wooden fences with thick vegetation growing over them. Easy to hide speakers.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure it doesn't decrease by 3dB/m? Isn't that the whole point of CBTs? Or are you just describing typical point source speakers?

Edit: Also I think I would not use the broad mode. I'd use narrow mode since they'd be perfectly horizontal.
You are correct about 3dB, but not per meter. The CBTs and all line arrays drop off at ~3dB doubling of the distance as opposed to point source loudspeakers that drop off at ~6dB per doubling of the distance.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hrm okay... maybe we just tackle sub placement? where should I put those?
Where are your neighbors, if any? Ideally you will contain the sound as best as possible within the desired area.

If there are no neighbors for several miles then I would set up a pair of flown CBTs with bass modules and subs on teh ground below them. I would put them at the far right side of the back yard aimed at the pool and place them about 40' to 50' apart. This may need to be adjusted based on how the space is actually used, but should be a good starting point.

Realizing that you will not get any boundary support in this application if you want deep and powerful bass, plan on 2 18" industrial subs per side at a minimum.

OP
A
it's the suburbs so neighbors are right next door. Does this mean I should go with more cabinets, but less SPL per cabinet?

And how would you cover the mids/highs? It feels like you're suggesting Option 1, but with twice as many subs.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We do large backyard systems up to systems that cover many acres for some of our clients. Since you have neighbors, I would suggest you pepper the entire area with a dozen or more speakers and keep the volume down.

If you place small outdoor cabinet style speakers like B&W AM-1s around the perimeter and aim them towards the center that could work, we typically use in ground subs and satellite speakers like these so that we can hide them: https://www.sonance.com/outdoor/sonance-landscape-series/satellites

For one pool area I am doing right now which is about the size of your yard we have 8 subs and 40 satellites... that said, the client has unlimited means.

mjgraves

Agree with @Mr. Widget. Distributed approach would be best. Allows even coverage with control of level over a wide area. I have used Definitive Audio AW-5500 & AW-6500, which are two-way designs with a large passive radiator. They're capable of taking considerable power. When mounted near a wall / solid fence, the passive radiator improves the bass output substanitally.

Top Bottom