• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cable measurement

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I know what you're thinking. You should see what he did to white box-fan power leads- when they were plugged in! Somehow he's still alive.

I imagined what would happen if 240V AC were to be applied when his razor sharp teeth pieced the final layer of insulation and contacted the copper. I love him, he's an awesome cat, so I make sure white (his favourite colour) power leads are hidden or unplugged.

He's lying at my feet as I type:
View attachment 353612
Pretty sure he is pleading for a bite of cable, pretty please... And it's a cat, so expect a short pleading period to be followed by wicked slashing and other mayhem.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
If your cat or dog is into chewing on stuff that isn't a food product, there's a good chance that the animal has a periodontal problem—gingivitis—from too much soft food. Take them to the vet to have their teeth and gums checked.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If your cat or dog is into chewing on stuff that isn't a food product, there's a good chance that the animal has a periodontal problem—gingivitis—from too much soft food. Take them to the vet to have their teeth and gums checked.

Julio gets to see a lot of real snakes of all sizes, and to him, all power leads have the potential to be a snake. Plaited speaker cables are particularly interesting snakes and a draft door stopper is the best snake of all.

After he's seen an actual snake or two on the back deck, it's funny to watch him carefully get low down, creep up close to a coiled cable or an extension lead, sniff it and back up slowly.

My previous Birman took a liking to my Hakko silicone soldering station lead and obliterated several (at significant cost from Japan replacements). Didn't bite anything else in the whole house. Julio is not remotely interested in the white Hakko cable, even though it hangs temptingly off the edge of my bench. Luckily, I have spares for that fateful day when he discovers it too, could be a snake.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
After he's seen an actual snake or two on the back deck, it's funny to watch him carefully get low down, creep up close to a coiled cable or an extension lead, sniff it and back up slowly.

As long as it's not a King Brown, he'll be okay.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As long as it's not a King Brown, he'll be okay.

King Browns are not a snake we encounter in our area. We've got plenty of Eastern Browns, Red Belly Blacks and the nocturnal Bandy Bandy snakes (which have been coming out of their underground hunting grounds of late), along with plenty of various nasty green tree dwelling snakes.

Top Bottom