• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi,

Is there a way to ripp the tracks from a blu-ray audio disk similar as you do with a CD?, what sort of equipment/ program is needed for that?, i have a Blu-ray player, a normal one for movies, or do you need a Blu-ray player-burner which connects via usb to a PC?
You need a blu-ray drive for your PC (USB blu-ray drives are easiest if you don't have one). Then use MakeMKV to "export audio".

Many of us use a two step process,
First you use MakeMKV to make a decrypted "backup" of the BD.
Then we use DVD-Audio Extractor to rip out any individual parts of the BD wanted. (2, 4, 5.1 etc).
Also it works fantastic with plain ole DVD, DVD-A and such

If your looking for the Atmos file, stick to the first step with MakeMKV, creating a .mkv copy for playback in a
MKV & Atmos capable media player. VLC, Kodi, etc.
Have fun!

AdrianusG

Many of us use a two step process,
First you use MakeMKV to make a decrypted "backup" of the BD.
Then we use DVD-Audio Extractor to rip out any individual parts of the BD wanted. (2, 4, 5.1 etc).
Also it works fantastic with plain ole DVD, DVD-A and such

If your looking for the Atmos file, stick to the first step with MakeMKV, creating a .mkv copy for playback in a
MKV & Atmos capable media player. VLC, Kodi, etc.
Have fun!
"Have fun!"

I will:), but first i need to buy an external USB Blu-Ray writer, they're not even that expensive anymore.

Have a great weekend all.

dokazi

I had a moment of vinyl "resurgence " of my own the other day. My wife made a Mexican meal and joking asked if we had any Mariachi music. I thought and flipped through some old albums handed down to me and there I found an Al Herbert and the Tijuana Brass LP. It definitely added a lot of fun to the evening in a way no digital recording could have matched. The turntable being part of that era completed the mood. Perhaps moments like these are a small part of the renewed love of vinyl. People pull out an album and along with all if it's clicks and pops it brings back memories of fond times long gone. I asked my wife, who streams music, which she preferred the album or a cleaned up digitized version and she enthusiastically replied definitely the album. There you have it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
While paging thru the latest Absolute Sound I about fell out my chair laughing.
So here's how the high end vinyl-files are having their hockey pucks squished today.
I guess the best way to avoid "inner groove distortion" is not to have any inner grooves. LOL
What do you think the playing time is for these guys? Do I read this ad right, that one or some
actually run at 45rpm? A whole LP side for a 3 minute playing time?
OTOH maybe these are just the thing for boomer LP spinners, a damn good cardiovascular
exercise routine to get and keep the old heart rate up.
How many times have the folks here told me that they never hear any inner groove issues.
Maybe this is why. LOL
Friends, this vinyl revival gets more ridiculous by the day. :facepalm:

innergrovecrplt.jpg

innergrove.jpg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of silly posts...

Just curious: Did anyone ever, as a kid, take a record outside and throw it like a Frisbee? I mean, like a forehand style just winging it as hard as you could through the air?
Man did those things travel! It was just unbelievable. Beat the hell out of Frisbee for speed, distance (and sheer terrifying "hope to not cut anyone's head off" danger).

Just...wonderin'.....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Galliardist

Major Contributor
While paging thru the latest Absolute Sound I about fell out my chair laughing.
So here's how the high end vinyl-files are having their hockey pucks squished today.
I guess the best way to avoid "inner groove distortion" is not to have any inner grooves. LOL
What do you think the playing time is for these guys? Do I read this ad right, that one or some
actually run at 45rpm? A whole LP side for a 3 minute playing time?
OTOH maybe these are just the thing for boomer LP spinners, a damn good cardiovascular
exercise routine to get and keep the old heart rate up.
How many times have the folks here told me that they never hear any inner groove issues.
Maybe this is why. LOL
Friends, this vinyl revival gets more ridiculous by the day. :facepalm:

View attachment 314000

View attachment 314002
And we've finally regressed to the 1920s, when an album was literally that: a book or box of records with a few minutes of music on each side.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And we've finally regressed to the 1920s, when an album was literally that: a book or box of records with a few minutes of music on each side.
Yep, we had a bunch of them in my house growing up.
My Aunt Lena was a bit of a music collector and had those album/books with a lot of 78s inside, they weighted a ton.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, we had a bunch of them in my house growing up.
My Aunt Lena was a bit of a music collector and had those album/books with a lot of 78s inside, they weighted a ton.
My mother collected antiques and refinished a vintage wind up 78 player with a box of needles and a bunch of records. We used it whenever the electricity was out and on holidays.

JP

Major Contributor
Finally? "Audiophile" albums have been coming out on double 45 for more than a decade.

Just curious: Did anyone ever, as a kid, take a record outside and throw it like a Frisbee? I mean, like a forehand style just winging it as hard as you could through the air?
Man did those things travel! It was just unbelievable. Beat the hell out of Frisbee for speed, distance (and sheer terrifying "hope to not cut anyone's head off" danger).

Just...wonderin'.....
Did it with CDs 30 years ago. Wicked fast little suckers.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor

Just...wonderin'.....
Abba made great skeet shooting.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Finally? "Audiophile" albums have been coming out on double 45 for more than a decade.
True.

That was a lot more extreme than a double 45. A box, multiple discs with playing times of a few minutes, and in an actual album.

Last time I saw that was in a museum!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Utterly pointless.

I don't. Or at least if I do I don't detect it as such - perhaps it is masked by all the other shit going on.

I have one double 45 (Amy Winehouse : Lioness). given as a gift. I wouldn't have had it if I'd known - it's a pain in the ass because I have to shift the belt on the pulley to change speed. :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My mother collected antiques and refinished a vintage wind up 78 player with a box of needles
For best sound you need to grow your own on a cactus.
They also produce the lowest wear on the record.
The perfect renewable, bio-degradable product for the tree-huggers out there. LOL

cactus2.jpeg
cactus3.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have starting by saying that I was not attacking the use of SUVs or your vehicle choices - I was tired and probably could have worded better.
All I was trying to say is that I (and I repeat *I*) consider the use of SUVs in an urban setting not a great idea and why it is that way for me.

It wasn't clear to me your living setting, so in trying to address all possibilities in your post, think I clouded the issue. It was not about your choice of vehicle. It is about how in certain settings SUVs can be impractical and hard to justify. Just LIKE VINYL! :D but if you like them, you like them. Just like vinyl. In repeating myself to make my point again went on a tangent re: your vehicles.

All in all car analogies are bad idea... I will let the ASS-thing go - you obviously felt attacked. I have nothing to apologize for so I won't, but I can say that I wasn't trying to attack you.

Will probably stick to audio WITHOUT analogies
Thanks for explaining yourself: cars/trucks/SUV's/Motorcycles(on/off road/Dual Sport, & many more
All have their use cases (or the particular vehicle is just what you enjoy [or can tolerate during the times of not using it for it's design purpose: for how great it is for when you are using it for it's design purpose].
There is no actual 'one size fits all' for vehicles or stereo.
Some folks just want to get from here to there & some just want to hear something that, as long as the speaker isn't actually broken, they are good with it.
Others want more (& maybe care about what they drive & not about stereo or the other way around.
Choice is good: we can get what we may need or just get what we want. (& most of us have some wishful thinking on both counts).
Again, thanks for clarifying what ever went over the top wit our conversation.
Now we can get back to normal.
Analogies can be good, but I have found that re-reading (before sending them) & after I have walked away from the computer for a few minutes (perhaps after a snack & a few sips of ones tea/ coffee or adult libation & re reading what one has written & then editing it usually helps.
On the other hand, I am many times guilty of not doing that. Hence the ASS-thing.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, many more decades than one have they been doing this.
Someone slipped some of those 12" 45's from the DISO era into my LP's.
I guess they thought of how funny it would be for me to put it on a turntable (to see exactly what this DISCO (since DISO is not something that I would normally listen to) assault on my senses would be when I played a 45 at 33.
I must admit, it gave me a moment of : that sounds worse than I imagined that it would BUT it only took a few seconds to figure out the issue & fix it.
Then it just sounded normally bad, given the format & bass emphasis of the recording.

Top Bottom