• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Car cruising

DanielT

Major Contributor
It's always crusing on one Saturday in the middle of July in the small community , Grebbestad, near me.:)
Lots of American vintage cars, plus a few other brands. Plus party and beer. Hundreds of cars. :p

I drive a Volvo V70 so I was not cruising, I did not drink beer either but like so many others I checked the cars.

I took some pictures. Unfortunately bit blurry pictures, but you have to live with that.:)

IMG_20220716_141655.jpg
IMG_20220716_141710.jpg
IMG_20220716_141749.jpg
IMG_20220716_143412.jpg
IMG_20220716_143441.jpg
IMG_20220716_142038.jpg
IMG_20220716_142024.jpg
IMG_20220716_141757.jpg
IMG_20220716_142105.jpg
IMG_20220716_141925.jpg

Grebbestad (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈɡrɛ̂bːɛsta(d)])[2] is a locality situated in Tanum Municipality, Västra Götaland County, Sweden. As of 2010, there were 1,401 inhabitants,[1] though this number can increase by as much as ten-fold during the summer.[verification needed] The town is also the harbour where the majority of Norway lobster (in Swedish havskräfta) are landed, as well as oysters.[citation needed]

everts_grebbe_header (1).jpg

Last edited:

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Don you just have to love those huge American cars? From a time when living was guilt free, we lusted after cars like these and the lifestyles they implied. We have entered a new age of Puritanism and joylessness has become the new religion.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Don you just have to love those huge American cars? From a time when living was guilt free, we lusted after cars like these and the lifestyles they implied. We have entered a new age of Puritanism and joylessness has become the new religion.
In Sweden there is love for those huge American cars.It has been popular for a long time .We call those who love them: "raggere"They, "Raggare", cruise around and party together, plus older rock and roll music is often played.Its a hobby, can even seen as a lifestyle.

I myself am not a "Raggare", but looking at the cars is fun.:D

It will probably be a real party there in Grebbestad tonight. Will probably look something like this when it gets dark:
(from another place)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
In Sweden there is love for those huge American cars.It has been popular for a long time .We call those who love them: "raggere"They, "Raggare", cruise around and party together, plus older rock and roll music is often played.Its a hobby, can even seen as a lifestyle.

I myself am not a "Raggare", but looking at the cars is fun.:D

It will probably be a real party there in Grebbestad tonight. Will probably look something like this when it gets dark:
(from another place)

Any chance of an invitation next year? Providing my operation on Wednesday is successful.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always crusing on one Saturday in the middle of July in the small community , Grebbestad, near me.:)
Lots of American vintage cars, plus a few other brands. Plus party and beer. Hundreds of cars. :p
Whished I were there. Some pics reminded me of Fjällbacka where we stayed a few days in a very tiny blue house on our bicycle journey. We passed Grebbestad on the way to Tanumshede visiting the rockpaintings. Hopefully in 4 weeks we'll be back again.

Moderate Dionysianism

I'd say we simply bear the consequences of some other people (earlier/elsewhere) living 'guilt free':)
OTOH I never lusted after the cars, or understood the lifestyles they implied. Cool pics tho! The place looks lovely and the weather was just right!

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Any chance of an invitation next year? Providing my operation on Wednesday is successful.
Of course, visit if you have the roads past by.:)

I was just a spectator. Anyone can participate, if you have a suitable car and like to cruise. As you can see in my pictures, a little older "Raggare". In the video when the night creeps in, it is the younger guard who takes over.

I'm not a "Raggare" per se or owner of any big old American car, but fun to watch them.:)

The video was filmed at one of these meetings, which by the way is much larger than the one I watched today:
(not filmed by me)

Power Big Meet (sometimes shortened "Power Meet") is a classic car show held in Lidköping, Sweden, for American cars (especially those from the 1950s and 1960s). It is held each summer during the first weekend of July and is a major event for people who hold an interest for old American cars from all over the world. While initially held Friday to Sunday, it has been changed to Thursday to Saturday.

Power Big Meet is one of the biggest car events in the world. Every year between 55 and 75 thousand people visit Power Big Meet to look at other and show their own cars at Västerås' Johannisberg airfield.

The Power Big Meet began in 1978, and celebrated its largest crowd on record ever in 2007 during its 30th gathering.

During the Power Big Meet 2004 the police reported that an estimated 12,000 cars had participated in the festivities, breaking all previous records. During 2014 17,000 cars participated and 200,000 visitors showed up.

The 2017 Power Big Meet in Lidköping drew approximately 22,000 automobiles.[1] Desp

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Whished I were there. Some pics reminded me of Fjällbacka where we stayed a few days in a very tiny blue house on our bicycle journey. We passed Grebbestad on the way to Tanumshede visiting the rockpaintings. Hopefully in 4 weeks we'll be back again.
If I'm here then maybe we can meet and have a beer.:)

If you want some tips on what to do here on the West Coast,send me a message and I will help you.:)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I'd say we simply bear the consequences of some other people (earlier/elsewhere) living 'guilt free':)
OTOH I never lusted after the cars, or understood the lifestyles they implied. Cool pics tho! The place looks lovely and the weather was just right!
Drive a car- must feel guilt
Eat meat- must feel guilt
Fly for a holiday - must feel guilt
Need to keep your home at a reasonable temperature- must feel guilt

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Of course, visit if you have the roads past.:)

I was just a spectator. Anyone can participate, if you have a suitable car and like to cruise. As you can see in my pictures, a little older "Raggare". In the video when the night creeps in, it is the younger guard who takes over.

I'm not a "Raggare" per se or owner of any big old American car, but fun to watch them.:)

The video was filmed at one of these meetings, which by the way is much larger than the one I watched today:
(not filmed by me)

Power Big Meet (sometimes shortened "Power Meet") is a classic car show held in Lidköping, Sweden, for American cars (especially those from the 1950s and 1960s). It is held each summer during the first weekend of July and is a major event for people who hold an interest for old American cars from all over the world. While initially held Friday to Sunday, it has been changed to Thursday to Saturday.

Power Big Meet is one of the biggest car events in the world. Every year between 55 and 75 thousand people visit Power Big Meet to look at other and show their own cars at Västerås' Johannisberg airfield.

The Power Big Meet began in 1978, and celebrated its largest crowd on record ever in 2007 during its 30th gathering.

During the Power Big Meet 2004 the police reported that an estimated 12,000 cars had participated in the festivities, breaking all previous records. During 2014 17,000 cars participated and 200,000 visitors showed up.

The 2017 Power Big Meet in Lidköping drew approximately 22,000 automobiles.[1] Desp

From my experience of Swedes they never do anything in a half hearted way. Had dealings with Swedes working for Skansa in Libya. Took a swig of the offered glass of ??? found out quickly it wasn’t water. Great party from what I can remember of it.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My dad sold a big American car to some fellow in Sweden. He came over to the USA and purchased 4 cars and had them sent to Sweden via a container ship.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hah it has been made illegal in LA for a while, but lately i think they are getting more lax about it .
Car cruising is illegal? That's rubbish! Such a wholesome activity watching and restoring those old beauties. Tell me I misunderstood... :D I've restored 2 cars and had a great time driving them. One was a daily driver for years till a new 16 year old driver totaled the front right quarter and the car was a write off.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Car cruising is illegal? That's rubbish! Such a wholesome activity watching and restoring those old beauties. Tell me I misunderstood... :D I've restored 2 cars and had a great time driving them. One was a daily driver for years till a new 16 year old driver totaled the front right quarter and the car was a write off.
He he, I agree with you!:D

But have you said A, you have to say B, in other words because this is a car thread and I am curious about this: I've restored 2 cars and had a great time driving them
What kind of cars? Brand, model? What did you do with them? If you have pictures of them, feel free to post them here in the thread It would have been fun to see.:)

Drive a car- must feel guilt
Eat meat- must feel guilt
Fly for a holiday - must feel guilt
Need to keep your home at a reasonable temperature- must feel guilt
You have to live life and have fun. Also, I paste from the DIY Vintage thread, the text fits just as well there as here given the thread's topic, which contains a great deal of enthusiasm:

Screenshot_2022-07-17_051827.jpg

Next DIY Vintage now in November for those who want to come by. You do not need to bring your own built HiFi gadget.:)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Found a pic from this bicycle journey (2001) from a show of old motorbikes in Lysekil:

vortrag040.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm here then maybe we can meet and have a beer.:)

If you want some tips on what to do here on the West Coast,send me a message and I will help you.:)
Done :)

Me and @DanielT having a good time on the Swedish west coast.
20220821_191454.jpg

He is a very nice guy and let us stay in his cottage for 2 nights. Thanks a lot @Daniel for the nice stay.

The system we played last night:
20220822_105825.jpg

• JPW Minimonitors (on top) fed by a HK 330C (top right)
  • Yamaha Sub YST-AWT90 (center)
  • X-over LDR Systems X223 (right)
Most of this bought used dirt cheap on flea markets. Sounds impressive when playing Tricycle by Flim & The BBs real loud.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor

View attachment 225964
He is a very nice guy and let us stay in his cottage for 2 nights. Thanks a lot @Daniel for the nice stay.

View attachment 225965
Most of this bought used dirt cheap on flea markets. Sounds impressive when playing Tricycle by Flim & The BBs real loud.
Thank you for a very nice visit! You are welcome back at any time. Continue to have a nice holiday.:)

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor

View attachment 225964

View attachment 225965
Many years ago had a pair of JPW P1 stand mount speakers, cabinets were made in Dartmoor prison. Fantastic bass used with an Audio Research amplifier.

Top Bottom