• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Choosing headphones under 500-600$ in 2023

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And for me HD600 never did well defined bass when boosted to Harman Levels, I'm thinking it's down to distortion. All my other headphones can do bass better than the HD600.
Agree, I've been switching between DCA Aeon2 closed and HD600 this morning and when it comes to lower bass the Sennheiser (EQ:d) sure has something down there but it's more like a thump.

BTW another competitorin in this bracket is Audeze Maxwell. Costs about the same as HD600, it's a headset, has bass, built-in EQ, wireless (BT & Dongle), compliant to Harman, excellent build quality, closed but spatial qualities still on par or better than HD600... Yeah, it's a "gaming headset", but if you just objectively look at what it brings to the table you might be hard pressed to disqualify it from options.

HD600 is -6dB from Harman already at 50Hz, something like -12dB at 25Hz. I'm using it with Sinxer SA-1 (unbalanced) which has enough juice but you have to turn it up considerably.

It just isn't a headphone for you if you really value deep bass. It's not easy to drive at all and with EQ, most likely needs an dedicated amp and as you said, preferably not a small mobile one. Lots of hoops to jump through if you consider other available options.

I have one and always will (like many hobbyists), but I usually have at least five other pairs to reach for at any given time, so different case than one looking for the first pair of hifi over-ears.

Harman curves are oomph oomph -voting results of/for amateurs or mobile listeners. I´m after NEUTRAL BASS in non-mobile conditions, which HD 600 pretty much achieves with that +6 dB / 25 Hz / 0.7 Q -low shelf.

Neutral bass means whole bass range on level with 1 kHz, like in speakers. I have left harman curves to harman and other bass idiots, and used this oratory1990 -graph as EQ-baseline instead

HD 600 "Optimum Hifi-curve"

Includes a little upper bass shave-down too, which affects results.

If HD 600 is not damaged and feeding amplifier up to its job, it gladly takes that much bass lift from EQ. It´s driver is good quality, and maintains linearity well (unlike some Hifi- / Hypemans etc. crap) i.e. can handle it. I have used it for years this way, and there is definitely no distortion or other problems. Just that well improved bass reproduction.

After getting its bass straight, HD 600´s divine neutrality talks itself, and makes it ready to rule again next couple of decades.

Other phones can just go to be depressed by their complete pointlessness.

And for me HD600 never did well defined bass when boosted to Harman Levels, I'm thinking it's down to distortion. All my other headphones can do bass better than the HD600.

You must be doing something very, very wrong, if that´s the case, my friend... :) You happen to be so called EIAP?

EIAP = eccentric internet audio person

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You must be doing something very, very wrong, if that´s the case, my friend... :) You happen to be so called EIAP?

EIAP = eccentric internet audio person
Nope, don't think so. I just know the HD600 doesn't do bass well vs my other headphones (after EQ of course).

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sennheiser HD600 is a great choice in this price range. Buy a used pair in good condition for ~$250 put the rest of the $500 twords a good amplifier.

HD600s sound very good with a balanced amp, balanced cable. (And don't spend a lot on the cable!)

Top Bottom