• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Coming soon: MiniDSP Flex with HDMI input

tomasai911

What dac is in the minidsp Flex HT?? ESS 9028?? I am assuming it is not the same as the one in the 2-channel minidsp Flex version since it has 8 analog outputs.

tomasai911

Flex: SNR@120dB(A)
Flex HT: SNR @128dB(A), THD+N @ -111dB (0.0003%)

This is on their web spec pages and seems to indicate another dac similar to ES9028Q for the Flex HT, which they already use for SHD series

staticV3

Master Contributor
Flex: SNR@120dB(A)
Flex HT: SNR @128dB(A), THD+N @ -111dB (0.0003%)

This is on their web spec pages and seems to indicate another dac similar to ES9028Q for the Flex HT, which they already use for SHD series
Flex Eight and Flex HT have identical specs for their DACs (111dB SINAD, 125dB(A) DR).
We know from teardowns that the Flex Eight uses an ES9080Q.
It is therefore highly likely that the HT, too, uses an ES9080Q.

tomasai911

Flex Eight and Flex HT have identical specs for their DACs (111dB SINAD, 125dB(A) DR).
We know from teardowns that the Flex Eight uses an ES9080Q.
It is therefore highly likely that the HT, too, uses an ES9080Q.
Ok then minidsp Flex HT has a typo on their online spec page then regarding SNR if they are exactly the same dacs.
For a near 2024 product release, would make more sense they would to go with 9028 series dac chip.

Will soon find out when it is released for public end user review.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Using the 8 channel DAC in 2 channel mode will likely increase SNR. Curious, though is that the chip is speced with a 108 SINAD.

Edit:
IMG_6687.jpeg

This explains it… sort of.

The flex eight runs two chips, so 2x4 channels.

For the normal flex I actually found PCM1795: https://www.diy-hifi-forum.eu/forum...m-miniDSP-FLEX&p=326005&viewfull=1#post326005 though this would not match the specs either.

Last edited:

jaakkopetteri

STOCK UPDATE(19/07/2023): This product is currently in final stages of firmware development to finalize HDMI test. We expect shipments to start in the coming Q3 2023. Thanks for your patience!

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
STOCK UPDATE(19/07/2023): This product is currently in final stages of firmware development to finalize HDMI test. We expect shipments to start in the coming Q3 2023. Thanks for your patience!

Any chance they will also offer a 3, or 4 channel version so people who only need 2.1 (a true 2.1 using the 3rd channel for the subout) don't have to pay for 5 extra channels that will idle from day 1 to day infinity...? As far as I know, no one is doing a 3 channel dac with HDMI input that can be used with Dirac Live DLBC PC standalone version. I have been searching for one before I pay for the DLBC license. There are the likes of the MOTU M4 but those are really for the pro applications.

AdamG

Don’t let others steal your joy and happiness.
Forum Donor
Source please?

AdamG

Don’t let others steal your joy and happiness.
Forum Donor
Sorry, I thought it obvious enough :)
Yeah I looked it up and came back to say never mind. I thought you had some sort of inside information. ;)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I‘m really worried about the price.

For 1100€ you can already get a 11.4 channel Denon X3800 which has all the decoding, 9 channels of amplification, 4 individual sub outs and music streaming build in.

Yes, the flex has a nice small case but what’s really the benefit of the flex HT? (Don’t just tell me it’s higher SINAD)

cong314159

I‘m really worried about the price.

For 1100€ you can already get a 11.4 channel Denon X3800 which has all the decoding, 9 channels of amplification, 4 individual sub outs and music streaming build in.

Yes, the flex has a nice small case but what’s really the benefit of the flex HT? (Don’t just tell me it’s higher SINAD)
For me personally, it's going to be the matrix mixer, PEQ, and crossover.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For me personally, it's going to be the matrix mixer, PEQ, and crossover.
For advanced PEQ, matrix mixing and speaker correction above Schröder (with given spin data) it’s a good device.

It has its applications but it‘s not a replacement for a decent AVR in a normal home theatre setup imho.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you guys think they should add one more channel and HDMI output so people can do truly 2.1, and use REQ/RC such as Dirac Live (DLBC version) with Windows/or MacOS?

OP
A

al2002

Hi Peng. Not sure I understand. 2.1 requires 3 channels, this has 8. Would you mind explaining?

i can’t speak for MiniDSP, but I doubt they can add HDMI out. There is not much space on the rear panel for additional connectors. if you need an HDMI out, just add a splitter in front of the flex.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Peng. Not sure I understand. 2.1 requires 3 channels, this has 8. Would you mind explaining?

i can’t speak for MiniDSP, but I doubt they can add HDMI out. There is not much space on the rear panel for additional connectors. if you need an HDMI out, just add a splitter in front of the flex.

There is no problem with 8 channels, that is > 3 channels, but I am not willing to pay for 8 channels when I will never use more than 3 (okay may be 4 if I want to add a second sub) channels. About the space issue, there should be room to add HDMI out if the DAC has 3 to 4 channels only. The micro HDMI connectors may also be an option.

OP
A

al2002

Ah, so you are looking for an HDMI in/out version of the 4 channel Flex. Send MiniDSP a request. You never know……

it seems one could easily do this with existing hardware, but it would not be a one box solution.

Top Bottom