• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crazy ass Audio tweaking

bobhol

Oh please kind sir (richard51) can we have some pictures of your stoning process.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Hehe @richard51 I have been in contact with ya for sometime over at headfi. I'm surprised you bought this up here. I was almost run out of town for my preference not to use USB! The reaction to your rocks seems positively charming! :D :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Is the purpose to try to find a scientific basis for rocks "cleaning" the power grid, or just to throw it out as a subjective impression, and leave it at that? If the latter, then this thread is done. If the former, the best thing to do (for this forum) would be to measure with and without rocks to see if there is any performance difference. It is always possible the rocks add some shielding or whatever though it seems unlikely there would be any significant difference. Or maybe rocks and substrate (I assume something is holding them in place) provide shielding. Or this is just another hoax meant to annoy people.

D

Deleted member 65

I think everyone in the US is buying stones since we won the gold medal in curling yesterday.

Sal, you need to stop reminding me of this! My only comfort is that our Swedish ladies won the gold ...

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
I believe granite blocks are pretty good decouplers and speakers stands.

But I wonder; is there a rule of thumb as to how heavy the (granite) stone should be compared to speaker’s weight?

Intuitively, it makes sense to use a stone that is heavier than the speaker.

What do you think?

Another science related question regarding stones: How compares granite’s own frequency to the audio related frequencies? What is the ideal frequency/material for speaker stands/decouplers?

(Just an attempt to get a bizarre thread on course to something useful).

;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Used to work in a lab way back when our analytical balances were analog. They sat on one of these as the place was full of vibration from machinery. We had to pass calibration which always happened on this table. The floor this sat upon had obvious vibrations felt in your feet. So massive granite works.

balance-table.jpg

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Yes, and I believe density is one part of the equation:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/density-solids-d_1265.html

Could the other part of the equation be «material frequency»? I don’t know anything about that («eigenfrequency»)!

:)

And if you want to avoid resonance in the material sneeking into the speaker, you’d need some petroleum products, like these? Thoughts on stone and petroleum for mission-critical audio applications?

https://www.sorbothane.com/Data/Sites/31/pdfs/product-guides/Sorbothane-SPG.pdf

captain paranoia

Forget large masses and sorbothane.

What we need here is a superconducting maglev table to physically isolate the components from the ground.

I suppose a superconducting magnetic table can be thought of as a type of 'stone'...

Oddly enough, my colleague & I were discussing the use of crystals to align our audio chakras only hours before I read this thread... We were also discussing the possibility of superconducting speaker cables; none of your common-or-garden unidirectional, oxygen-free copper rubbish.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Used to work in a lab way back when our analytical balances were analog. They sat on one of these as the place was full of vibration from machinery. We had to pass calibration which always happened on this table. The floor this sat upon had obvious vibrations felt in your feet. So massive granite works.

balance-table.jpg

For DACs? :D

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

balance-table.jpg
I hate to tell you that these might have been OK for analytical balances (until the electromechanical isolation bases came along). They rely on having huge mass but offer little or no compliance to accomplish isolation. I had two installed for use with ultramicrotomes, we found that they were inadequate. Have you ever watched the surface of a mercury pool sitting on one?

Wombat

Master Contributor
After listening to The Don re reporting people behaving strangely, I believe some audio forum administrators will be rather busy thus. o_O

Last edited:

Dimitri

I had two installed for use with ultramicrotomes, we found that they were inadequate.
<Warning: humor attempt:>

Why do ultamicrotomists never attempt to have a discussion?
Because they are both really good at splitting hairs :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
<Warning: humor attempt:>

Why do ultamicrotomists never attempt to have a discussion?
Because they are both really good at splitting hairs :)
I find humor more difficult than cutting remarks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate to tell you that these might have been OK for analytical balances (until the electromechanical isolation bases came along). They rely on having huge mass but offer little or no compliance to accomplish isolation. I had two installed for use with ultramicrotomes, we found that they were inadequate. Have you ever watched the surface of a mercury pool sitting on one?
Subjective anecdotal report. You could feel vibrations in the floor with your hand. You did not feel vibrations on the table top with your hand. The balance on an adjacent slate counter would not settle down to the last digit. On the granite no problems. So it was helping in some way. The floor was ceramic tiles on a concrete slab.

dat yeti

I use diamonds. You must use natural organic diamonds, though, as the cheap industrial man-made ones cause the sound to be too harsh and mechanical. And for best sound they must be flawless but that does come at a price premium. The best sound is worth every little hundred thousand dollars, however.
Pffft, everyone knows if you want organic sound you have to use limestone. Its made from ancient sea creatures, that once had a full spectrum of marine sonar waves traveling through their shells that affects not only the tonal qualities, but the plankton of your source.

dat yeti

balance-table.jpg
Interesting. I'm curious, what is the "black material" under the top of that table? It is some sort of foam, or shadow from picture?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You should hear what this rock infuses in my rig.
index.php

Top Bottom